How many women actually wax their arms?

I was watching an infomercial yesterday for some new kind of gel hair remover, and at one point they had the demo girl slather it on her forearm and remove all the hair there.

I knew about legs and mustaches and bikini lines, but how many women actually wax their arms? Or was it just for purposes of illustration?

I don’t remove the hair from my arms because I have very fair skin and my body hair is baby fine and a very light blonde. Therefore, the hair is virtually invisble. If I had dark body hair with my light skin, yes, I would wax my arms.

Why ask only women?

I bought a waxing kit (at Kmart, where no one that I know works) for myself.

I got tired of people telling me I had hairy knuckles, “mono-brow”, minor long hairs high on my cheeks, above the beard line, and yes, hair on my ear lobes.

It worked great, with no more pain than pulling a bandaid (i.e., it DID hurt, but an icecream cone made me forget all about it.)

I waxed half of my left forearm once.

I was bored.

I waxed eloquent once, and strained my vocal cords.

Many women in the Middle East and North Africa combine lemon juice and sugar into sorta silly putty kinda thing to remove all body hair below the head. Yes, I said all body hair from toe tops up to the neck. It hurts like hell and I’ll never do it again [I could only endure the pain up to my arms and my hips and then my imagination took over]. I like not having hair on my arms so I used to have this done quite often, but only there.

I’ve seen facial hair removed by string - it is a bit hard to describe: a beautician uses “cat’s cradle” string which is tightly twisted and then pulled apart as it grazes across your face. NO, it did not look comfortable and no, I didn’t think to try that one.

Needless to say, I enjoy learning about “beauty” treatments around the world: henna, kohl, body shaving [albeit limited], perfumed “saunas/sweathuts”, home made perfumes, etc. I am willing to try some at least once.

I have a friend who shaves her arms…she is Indian and quite dark-haired, so her arm hair shows up a lot.

This practice stems from Chinese beauty custom. Young girls would have their feet bound; they’d also remove hair high on their foreheads and manicure their eyebrows by using the strong method. From what I’ve read, it hurts like a bitch.

How sad. Some women actually like hairy men. My husband is, and I love it.

And I don’t use wax myself. I’m allergic to pain.