So does this Mallard Fillmore have his head completely lodged up his ass or what?

I’ve always read the comics in the newspaper, ever since I was a kid. I got addicted by brilliant strips like Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side. For some reason, I still read the comics, although there really isn’t one that does it for me anymore.

One comic has stood out though, not only as unfunny, but as relentlessly whiny. That comic is Mallard Fillmore.

Sunday’s installment was a treat. An exasperated Mallard was watching the news, and the reporters were going on and on about how there was no bump after the convention. It flipped between several talking heads, all mentioning the same thing: no bump, no bump, no bump. Finally the last frame elaborates that they’re saying there was no bump in the TV news ratings, so next election they’ll be showing repeats of The Bachelor instead.

Huh? :confused: So is he… [ol][li]saying that the “liberal media” isn’t reporting Bush received a post-convention bump? If so, he has completely lost it. I barely watched the news last week and I know more about Bush’s double-digit lead than anything. [/li][li]saying that Americans aren’t doing their duty by watching the conventions? Please. Does he get upset when people “Tivo” through the commercials during The Simpsons too? [/li][li]saying nothing at all; his head is too far up his ass to communicate. [/ol]The strip’s website is entertaining. Here’s a quote: [/li]

Yeah it’s tough for conservatives these days. I’d hate to only be able to rely on my local government, all three branches of the federal government, and the media to push my agenda. I think I’m becoming an angry white male.

It sounds like a joke about the narcissism of the media, more than anything, done through a play on the double-usage of “bump”.

Cross Doonesbury with the Family Circus, then lobotomize it, and you get Mallard Fillmore. That comic sucks something awful.

I believe that there is some delay between when a cartoon is drawn and sent in to the syndicate and when the strip is actually published. It seems more likely to me that he is talking about the aftereffects of the DNC.

Any chance of a link to the comic in question? I looked for it but couldn’t find a site that would give me anything other than today’s or the 08/24/04 comic.

You forgot: Repeat the same exact “joke” at least 3 days in a row. I don’t understand how the guy gets paid for a daily strip when he only comes up with two new ideas a week.

Yeah, Mallard Fillmore is awful. I’m convinced that most papers keep it to balance out Doonesbury and The Boondocks. Isn’t there a, ya know, funny right leaning cartoon out there? I would love to see it.

Then again, it isn’t all bad. There was one from about late spring in which John Kerry attempted to find a message and came up with “I have half the carbs of my opponet.” That made me smile a little. Too bad “The Onion” did that joke a month before he did.

On the other hand, perhaps he anticipated the media would not report a “bump”, or actually did receive reports that there was no bump (which would of course assume it is not pre-written), or the author could simply not care.

I also did not see the strip in question, but it seems to me that the message the cartoon was trying to convey was:

– There was indeed a post-convention Bush bump
– The “liberal media” failed to report this
– Your “common folk” realize this, and tune out the liberal media due to “biased reporting”, causing the sweet revenge of their programs being cancelled.

Like Dennis Miller, Mallard Fillmore proves that being conservative kills teh funny.

P. J. ORourke would like a word with you.

I remember him.
He used to be funny, like Dennis Miller.

The Rocky Mountain News just started running one called (I think) Prickly City. It’s showing signs of sometimes being funny. They took advantage and rearranged the comics so all the political ones are together now.

The strip is so pathetically lame that sometimes I wonder if its continued existence isn’t actually proof of liberal media bias. It’s like setting up a foreign policy debate where your side is argued by McGeorge Bundy, while the opposition gets represented by that slow kid from Burger King who’s not allowed to touch the deep-fryer.

Here in Pittsburgh, the Tribune-Review puts MF on its editorial page.

(Of course, the editor is one Colin McNickle, the guy to whom Theresa Heinz told to “shove it”)

I think that there are probably a larger number of right-wing humorists than you realize, but they just don’t make politics a part of their shtick.

Nobody’s mentioned the fact that the strips tend to be at least 75% words with very little drawing (and never any action). Remember when the comics used to be a visual medium?

A lot of that has to do with that limited space given to comics nowadays. Breathed did a great series about this with his characters going on strike way back when.

Then they’re simply humorists, no?

Sad thing is, Bruce Tinsley is one of the few genuinely gifted caricaturists in the comics business. Unlike 4th rate artists like Garry Trudeau (who fools no one by using the WHite House or an asterisk or a waffle to represent presidents! Face it, Garry, your arts SUCKS, and you resort to gimmicks because you couldn’t draw a halfway decent caricature if your life depended on it!), Tinsley is an excellent cartoonist. Unfortunately, he never has anything funny to say. I AGREE with Tinsley on most issues, and he STILL never makes me smile, let alone laugh.

Tinsley is a lot like Tom Tomorrow, in that regard. He seems to think that humor is unnecesssary, that a strip is brilliants as long as it expresses the proper sentiments. And sadly, both Tinsley and Tomorrow undoubtedly have hordes of fans who feel their views are underrepresented, and are SO delighted that there’s ONE strip out their expressing their views, they’ll actually pretend that the stupid duck and the stupid penguin are funny.

Longtime Newsweek readers might remember a 1988 cover drawn by Trudeau showing Bush41 and Michael Dukakis in a mudslinging match; the only time (as far as I know) that he drew recognizable images of either man, and certainly one of the very few times he drew a real person. He can draw caricatures but has chosen not to.