NYC Dopers - Help! I shall be stranded in NYC!

So with a non-refunadable ticket, I’ll be on my way to NYC… but my GF dumped me (“I’m not in the right headspace for a relationship right now…”) and I no longer have a place to stay. I am thoroughly screwed. :eek:

Anyone have a spare couch? I’ll be arriving the morning of the 26th and leaving really early on the 30th (I plan on going to the airport the night before, the 29th, and just hanging out there.)

My other option is to just eat the cost of the ticket, which I’m seriously considering. But I took the day off work, I want to go to the MoMA and the Met, the airfare is paid for, so I figured, “Meh, why not?”

I can’t really afford a place to stay, though. I’ve heard there are cheap places in the East Village. And I’ve been considering sitting around in 24 hour coffeeshops (you do have those there, right?)

Oh, I have visions of this turning into a baaaaaad After School Special.

Help! <Roger Rabbit> Pl-pl-pl-pl-pl-please!</Rabbit>

Update: I have been graciously offered a place to camp out for the 27th and 28th, so I’m only desperte for the 26th. Anyone got a spare hay-loft, doghouse, garage, or chicken coop for one night?

Goddamn, Eats Crayons, I live way Upstate or I would offer. I know there’s lots of NYC Dopers, I hope you find someone. I’ve always liked your posts and especially your username.

At one-ish on Monday the 27th we will be eating crayons at the Algonquin. Anyone want to join us? Zebra? Billdo? Oxy? Uke? Anyone?

I’d offer you an air mattress and all the smoothies you can stand, but I sort of… um… live in the wrong country. :slight_smile:

Eats_Crayons, if you don’t have anything else, I may be able to help on the evening of the 26th. My schedule is a bit up in the air at the moment, but you can e-mail me.

In any event, I’d love to lunch with you and Eve.

Thanks! I should be okay, I think. It’ll be lean times for the next several months. I’ll be in uber-poverty mode for quite awhile. But it’ll be an adventure anyway.

Eats, i’m sorry to hear about the GF :frowning: But lunch with Eve and the NYDopers at the Algonquin could take the sting off of any breakup. You’re in good hands.

Thanks! I’ll keep you posted. And yes, you must, must, must come with us for tea. I’ve enver been to a non-Canadian Dopefest.

BTW – where can I find a bunch of photogrpahy galleries in NYC? I’m going to the newly renovated MoMA, and probably the Met, but I’m a photographer, and it would be oh-so-convenient if all the photogallerieswere all lined up like dominoes on one street… That’s hoping for too much, isn’t it?

Oh, gosh, there’s a photo gallery on 6th Avenue right near the Algonquin—anyone remember what that is?

Yeah, it’s a bummer. Chews_Pencils has been quite the basket case since I’ve known her though (she had a tough year last year with her mom’s death and other emotionally trying stuff). IMHO, I was supportive above and beyond the call of duty – fielding hysterical, weeping phone calls at all hours day or night, calming her down. Always trying to be there, letting her yell at me and not say “boo” if she needed to vent, rant and rave, which she did – a LOT – couldn’t get a word in edge-wise. She called me once in tears because she was exhausted and couldn’t figure out how to get the gas cap off her rental car to refuel (when you’re that emotionally precarious and you’re tired, it’s always the little things that finally set you off). Actually, she called me crying hysterically late at night a lot.

I got the ticket to NY to see her birthday show because… well, it was for her birthday. And I just spent a significant chunk of cabbage on her Xmas present (something that should really help her out since she can’t go to physiotherapy anymore). The timing wasn’t her fault really. And the break-up was amicable. Friendly supportive, all warm and fuzzy, good-will all around. We even talked about making plans to go to the MoMA while I was there.

Then earlier today she said “I think it would be best if you found some other place to stay.”

Uh, okay. Just like that. I don’t have any friends or family in NYC (marvelous Dopers aside of course) and I’m financially strapped now and can’t afford to stay anyplace – NY has a 30% “hotel tax”? WTF? Even the cheap, scary hotels are outta my price range.

So I was seriously looking at either eating the cost of my non-refunable airfare and taking what for me is a damn significant financial hit – or saying “f@@k it, it’s already paid for” and going to NYC and then hanging out in 24 hour coffeeshops all night if I had to.

Yay! Stranded in a city of 8 million strangers! In the winter! With no place to stay at night! Terrific!

The holiday adventure I always wanted.

Like “Home Alone 2” – but starring me.

Brings a tear to my eye… No, really, I brought a tear to my eye when I saw my bank balance. More tears are forthcoming too.

But I still plan on doing all the things I set out to do. The MoMA, the Met. There seem to be photo galleries along 57th Street. I get to meet more Dopers :slight_smile: , and get a chance to be alone in a city of 8 million which is pretty cool. I’m a photog, so I can take the time to sort out my next project.

In the end all is good! And I thank, Og and Cecil that there are kind folks in NY who would help out a wayward Canadian.

Cheers all – I toast all the magnificent New Yorkers!

By the way, what the hell do you look like? The Algonquin lobby is pretty dark, and I have no idea what age, sex or color you are.

3’2" white feathers, orange feet, cigar… no, wait that’s Howard the Duck.

Does math… I’m 32.

Peeks in pants… Female.

Looks at hands… And phosphorescent blue.

But that might just be because of the light from my laptop screen.

I know, I’ll e-mail you a pic. Or I can built a SDMB beanie to wear, but then you won’t want to be seen with me in public.

The Algonquin is two minutes from my office, so I’d love to join if no one minds.

claps and giggles like a little girl

Yay, TellMeI’mNotCrazy is coming!

Wait, you’re not actually stuck in the office on Monday are you? It’s a stat holiday here in Canuckistan.

Don’t I wish. Is that Boxing Day observed or something? We don’t do Boxing Day here, so, yes, I will most definitely be in the office :slight_smile:

Eats, not sure if I’ll be around that weekend, but put my Upper East Side apartment down as possible if you need. :slight_smile:

Well I’ll be up for Al’s on Monday.

Thank goodness for the letter “k” . . .

Ok my plans are set so if you want you can stay at my place in Brooklyn for the 26th.
Oh and here is a listing of museums. But be warned that many are closed on Mondays and/or Tuesdays.