Robot Chicken is Twisted Toyfare Theater!

So I’ve seen ads on Adult Swim for a nwe show called Robot Chicken, and when i see them, the first thing I think is,

“Hey, that’s Twisted Toyfare Theater!”

For those not in the nkow, there is a magazine called toyfare which is basically a magazine about toys, mostly action figures, for adults (well…maybe just the 16-30 crowd.) it’s geared towards colelctors, and has price guides, reviews, ertc…, and one of the features they have is Twisted Toyfare Theater. It’s basically a comic ctrip doen with action figures in silly, outrageous situations. Frequent players include SPiderman, Hulk, the Fantastic FOur and Doc Doom, but any toy can make an appearance, like transformers, smurfs, GI Joe, etc…

here is ap lace where you can read a sample.

Anyhoo, the ads for Robot Chicken are the same style, so I’m wondering if it was doen by the same people. Anyoen have any info on it?

When does it start? There was an article on it in the latest Wizard mag and I have been trying to find out when I can tune in.

It’s created by Seth Green who has been doing similar things on a Sony website for the past few years. He had a great short about a comic convention. I wish I could remember the name of the site…lets see…Google “Seth Green” and “Action Figures” and get… www.screenblast.com . That wasn’t so hard.

Gah, that link doesn’t show you anything good at all, but this article shows the Toyfare connection…

http://streamingmediaworld.com/video/docs/sweetj/index.html

I’m definitely going to watch this, but ya know, part of me is amazed that it took this long to get a show on the air that every kid thinks up when they’re eight.

I watched Robot Chicken last night on Adult Swim. I liked it! There were a couple of laugh-out-loud moments for me and several more just smiling moments.

I enjoyed the stop-action work with the action figures. The weird thing they do with the mouths to make them speak was a little odd, but it worked.

Anybody else see this? Whaddya think?

I saw it, and I thought it was pretty damn funny. I didn’t think I was going to like it, but I’m happy I was proven wrong.

The panda eating the guy’s head was a great moment. I mean, you knew something was gonna happen but I thought it was going to be a general mauling, which wouldn’t have been as funny.

And then…hahhahahahahaah! the cyclon steps towards the banana peel and…

hahhahahahahaah!

he gets creamed by a ball out of nowhere!

heheheheeheehehehee

Scott wanders off, still laughing.

Scott_plaid, I liked that one too.

My favorite:

Char 1: I’m so happy!
Char 2: Hi, Mr. Happy! Can I call you So???

Ok, I have a dumb sense of humor. I know, and I’m ok with it.

Seth Green has been collaborating with ToyFare almost since its inception, so I’m sure the magazine was a big influence.

I wanted to watch the show last night but totally forgot about it. Grr.

Mmmm, violence. I can’t wait for the sword cutting scene from the commercials. They look so cool as they move.

I believe the co-creator with Seth Green is Matthew Senreich, editor for ToyFare. At least he was editor, he may have moved on – but the connection is really strong.

I thought the animation was excellent, but was a little disappointed. The only funny parts were when they had the auditions for Mulder’s X-Files replacement with that guy who had Quasimodo’s head and the “Most One-Sided Fistfights”

I liked it, too. The pacing was uneven, with some bits too long and others too short, but when they got it right it was pretty damn funny. I think with time this could be something.

I loved it! It goes into Must-See-TV.

Yeah, it is now in my DVR schedule. Loved the Transformers bit, especially Optimus’ final transformation. And laughed out loud at Corky’s audition and the Cylon-Wrecking ball confrontation :slight_smile:

Is it bad if I mentally deconstruct the toys used into their component parts that they used to make the custom figures?

I thought it was hit or miss, but I loved the Scarecrow/Oz clip – the straw pouring out, and the whimpered “call a guard!”

Tom Root of Toyfare is also one of the writers. It ***IS * ** TTT on TV!

Meh… Color me unimpressed.

It wasn’t horrible, but I have high standards for the Adult Swim lineup and this didn’t measure up. It reminded me too much of MTV’s Celebrity Deathmatch. Mildly amusing but only on one level, and only mildly. Best I can say is it wasn’t as bad as Turner & Hooch (that belonged on Comedy Central!) but its no Space Ghost or Aqua Teen.

More Venture Brothers!!!

[Cheesy blooper-show host]And that’s why you can’t trust the Chinese![/cbsh]

I caught this last night and found it very funny. The Transformers prostate cancer episode was pretty funny. And the title is good too. It makes no sense, but that’s the point- crazy cartoons have titles that make absolutely no sense, like Sweet Cuppin’ Cakes. Besides, Robot Chicken is fun to say.

“He must be French, because he’s a-peein’.”
“I think the joke goes you’re a-peein’.”
“But I’m not.”
“[sigh] You are such a Retardicon…”