American Idol: 2/21

The 12 guys perform tonight, the girls perform tomorrow, the firings happen on wedensday.

This is the first night we can really judge some singing. I won’t make predictions yet but I’m pulling for Anwar, Savol and Bo Bice on the guys’ side.

We’ll see how it goes,

Wow. I thought the judges were totally wrong about Savol. I thought he sounded great. I wonder if Simon is just still carping about the looks.

So far, he’s been the only good one. Once again, the judges have their favorites.

Constantine’s constant mugging is starting to grate.

Anwar seems to have set the bar.

Mario kicked some serious butt.

Some very good performances, it will be interesting to see whom the public at large advances.

I’d love a list of who sang what song if someone kept track of that. I would like to buy some of those :slight_smile: (some old favorites)

I pretty much liked the guys I expected to like. I think the judges were nuts and that Scott was one of the best tonight. So was Anwar.

If I had to guess about who’s going I would guess that guy who sang the cheesy Vegas version of “Travelin’ Band” and maybe that guy who sang that Michael Bolton song. He was kind of howel-y I thought. Plus Michael Bolton sucks.

A lot of very safe performances tonight.

Tonight’s the first time I’ve seen Bo Bice. I liked him a lot, and Scott.

David didn’t quite trip my trigger tonight like he did the first time he performed.

Some of those guys are too cute! I wouldn’t want to sit through their concerts, but I’d like to see them again, somewhere, doing something.

I missed Nikko and Scott but here are the rest of my thoughts:

Anthony: Meh. Decent voice, dull, dull, dull performance.
Bo: Wow! Not a boy band voice, a voice with some depth.
Travis: He’s cute! Nice voice but seemed uncomfortable on stage.
Constantine: Yuck. A terrible song, a boring performance.
David: Solid but boring.
Jared: Horrible. I don’t want to be subjected to him again.
Anwar: Started weak and got much better. Sounded a bit nasal at the beginning.
Judd: At least he had some life. That’s about it.
Joseph: Boring.
Mario: I found it very boy band. Thirty seconds was enough for me.

Too many to rank–Jared, Anthony, and Joseph should be nervous. Bo and Anwar should be safe. I don’t get the Mario thing.

Anecdotal data: I tried to call for Anwar three times, got the “all circuits busy” message each time. Called for Scott Sabol, got through on the first try.

Oh AuntiePam, you made me get a big ol’ grin. :smiley:

This was the first time I’ve heard Constantine. How the heck did he make it this far?
I expected more out of David.

I was feeling sorry for Anwar, because he sounded so bad. Looks like I’m the only one who thought so.

There were a lot of Stevie Wonder covers… My 2 choices were Bo and Anwar. The judges seemed to like Mario caused he was very active.

Savol! Savol! Not Sabol!

Yeah, I’m a nitpicky ole freak.

I hate Anthony and Constantine. I don’t know why. I just hate them. I hate looking at them. I hate their singing. I hate the concept of their lives.

I like Anwar and Nikko.

Woot, it’s finally gotten to the voting part! I had an extra-busy day and it was so nice to finally get home and just sit down and marianate in the cheesiness, yay! :smiley:

Nikko~ WTH was he wearing?! Good, for a Stevie impression, I wouldn’t have stopped conversing with my buddies in the kareoke bar to watch.

POTAB~ Loved the voice, noted the new jawbone-defining facial hair with a giggle. Good stage presence, beautiful singing, but I’m just not liking him. Either he’s got economy-sized baggage (my father never supported me, I’m not going to practice with my group since I don’t want to help anyone else make it, my goal as AI is to give my son a better life than I had) or he’s just slick and playing every sympathy card he can think of but he’s skeeving me. I so want to like him, too.

Bo~ yay! Awkward arrangement, and I desperately want to trim his split ends and introduce him to some quality hair product, but excellent job. :slight_smile:

Anthony~ “Safe” might not perfectly describe it, but it was sorta rote, he’s got pipes but maybe was nervous?

Constantine~ Wanna quit making love to the camera with your eyes and just sing, poseur boy? I think he was betting on being the dark-horse rocker guy but Bo’s screwed up his plans. Very comfortable onstage and good at working it, but meh.

David~ eh, it was okay, good pitch but not a real moving performance.

Jared~ better than in the auditions, my expectations were low so I’m not sure if it was actually good.

Anwar~ what? that was it? I so expected more, that was very just okay.

Travis~ Oh my, he’s so pretty, whatta smile!! Very stylish and controlled and nice. Very Nice. whew

Judd~ well that was growly, and surprisingly monotone. Shades of JPL from last year, but yay for diversity, at least he’s not boyband or diva-y.

Joseph~ seems very mature compared to the rest of the group and what happened to all the consonants? Pretty voice, kinda intense but nice, except for tha’ lette’ droppin’ thin’ on almos’ ever’ wor’

Mario~ Quit telling us to come on, we’ll c’mon if’n we wanna c’mon dammit! But, otherwise, very fun even if the pitch was questionable. :smiley:

1. Nikko Smith–I’m not impressed. I find him easy to ignore and I think the song choice is bad. Meh. I’m with Simon. Forgettable.

2. Scott Sable–With that song choice, he might as well have put a gun to his head. Shame.

3. Anthony Federov–The concern about being a “one trick pony” is valid. Yoiks! This is his weakest performance. How disappointing. He’s not going anywhere though, so I hope he improves next time.

4. Bo Bice–Woo! Smokin’ hot! Great song, certainly great for him! Best so far. Nice and strong. Just the way I like it! Excellent. Gets some of my votes!

5. Travis Tucker–Yawn. Weak. Bah.

6. Constantine. Also known as, ConstantStink, ConstantTool and some explatives. Bah. I can’t even stand looking at him! Couldn’t understand some of what he was failing to sing. Safe, trying to hard to be a “rocker” when he isn’t. Bah! Color me cynical, but I bet he’ll get through anyway. Feh.

7. David Brown–Bah! Another weakling! Boooo-ring! Actually, he’s better than some of the others. I bet he sticks around. Yea, safe fits.

8. Jared Yates–ZZZzzzzzz…

9. Anwar Robinson–God I love him! With Bo as the best of the night. Truly exceptional. Takes a weak song and makes it strong! Yes! Gets some of my votes!

10 .Judd Harris–He’s entertaining, that’s for sure! Another gem in a sea of 10,000 asses. Gets some of my votes!

1. Joseph–Sounds like a drunk! Not very good!

2. Mario Vasquez–Oh my! That’s very good! One of the better ones! Gets some of my votes!

Top performers: Mario, Anwar, Judd, Bo

Bottom: Constantine, Jared, Travis, and Joseph

It’s Scott SAVOL? Woops.

Scott Sable? Could be a good stage name for him though. :smiley:

If anyone is interested, I’m blogging the AI process at my fake music review site <a href=“http://www.mrtesty.com/idolblog/”>here</a>.

The lesson from tonight’s show? Pick a song that people actually like to listen to! Bo seems to be the one one out of twelve to get that. That was a surprisingly entertaining performance for AI (performing in the normal sense of the word for one, not in the pointing and laughing sense).

And of course I screwed up the coding. It’s here for the curious. :smack: