Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 AM

The Ultimate MST3K Thread

I have begun my new project - watching every* episode of Mystery Science Theater, in order, to complete my knowledge of the show and raise my geekery score by another few points.

This thread is intended to house discussion of the series as a whole, and anyone new to the fandom may feel free to ask questions .. as well as discussion of each individual episode as it goes along. At least, I hope it'll last long enough - I think we have enough MSTies here to pull this off.

* In this case, "every" episode means "every nationally broadcast" episode. I have eliminated the KTMA proto-season for a variety of reasons, including 1.) You can't get the first three episodes.. anywhere. 2.) A lot of the KTMA movies were reused later. 3.) The KTMA season is vastly different from that which came after in a lot of ways.

Please don't ask in the thread where you can get your very own copies of the ones not available on DVD - while I'd be happy to tell you, and it doesn't involve explicit copyright violation as I understand it, it's in enough of a grey area that I do not wish to involve the SDMB in any way.
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Advertisements  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Weirdest short: Mr. B natural!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
Seconded.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM

Episode 1.01 - The Crawling Eye

The first nationally broadcast episode. Ah, times were simpler then. As a longtime watcher of the series, I was pleased to finally get the chance to see Dr. Erhardt, Dr. Forrester's former partner in crime; however, Tom Servo's original voice is way creepy.

All the elements of the show are there, though : Deep 13 (where the two doctors have just moved) beneath Gizmonics Institute; Gypsy, Tom, Crow, and the original Cambot; and the Invention Exchange.

The riffing is a bit sparse.. sometimes, they just watch the movie. It picks up near the end, though, with the eye-puns flying fast and furious.

Regarding the movie, Tom had this to say in the "Good Thing, Bad Thing" segment at the end : "It was ambitious, but it lacked vision."

'Nuff said.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I think Mr. B's rep is inflated somewhat. My vote goes to "A Case of Spring Fever."
Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM

Candid, I salute you.

I did miss the invention exchange when Mike stepped in.

One thing I'm interested to see your reactions on is the bredth of the jokes. When I first started watching MST3K during the last few CC years, I was amazed at all the jokes I got which no one else of my highly educated acquaintence would ever have gotten, and all the jokes I didn't get. I think Frank Coniff was the guy whose knowledge was so catholic, because when he left, it seemed to me that the jokes, while still gut-bustingly funny, were frequently less obscure.

For example, my father fell in love with the show during an episode of Marooned, where he joked that the one non-famous actor astronaut was the finder of lost loves. Whereupon my mother said no, that was this other guy who looked like him. Then, 10 minutes later they got to the scene in the SoL where Mike (?) is playing with his Marooned action figures, and he had one of them be the finder of lost loves, until Crow told him no, that was the other guy who looked like him. My parents stood there open-mouthed -- they (and I!) were pretty well used to being the smartest guys in the room, and here were people on national television making exactly the same oscure jokes that they thought no one else on the planet would think were funny.

Anyway.

--Cliffy
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM

OMG, where to begin?
Any discussion of the wonderful show must begin with its sheer longevity. This was a basic cable program, aimed at a "niche market" (i.e. Fandom), that managed to stay on the air for 10 seasons! This is a tribute to: 1. The fan base, which grew solely from word-of-mouth and from "circulating the tapes", cuasing it to grow beyond anyone's expectations, and 2. The talent involved and their willingness to take risks. If some big-shot producer-types had been looking over their shoulders, 90% of their jokes and references NEVER would have made it to air. They would have said, "Nobody's gonna get that. Just make Clinton jokes.", or something to that effect. But the people involved did something unheard of in the TV biz--they gave their audience credit for having some intelligence and education, and it paid off!
Now for some of my faves:
5 best episodes: Laserblast, The Amazing Colossal Man, The Deadly Bees, Catalina Caper, Giant Spider Invasion.
Best song: "A Patrick Swayze Christmas"
Grossest line: "Glen passed a truck on the highway", from War of the Colossal Beast.
Line that made soda come out of my nose: "Have you seen the dog's meat? Oh, it doesn't matter, he'll only take it from me anyway.", and its followup, "Kathy Lee Gifford arrives to see the dog's meat"--from The Deadly Bees.
I'll think of more as the thread progresses.
BTW, is that the same Kevin Murphy who is currently producing "Desperate Housewives"?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM

A little bit of my MSTie background - I was introduced to the show by a friend of mine, who I'd met at a State-Smart-Kids-Camp one summer, and who later went on to become my college roommate for four years. It was he who gave me the rag-tag, beaten-up, mediocre quality tape of Episode 703 : Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell, which remains a favorite of mine to this day.

At home, we never had Comedy Central - and around the time I was hitting college, MST was no longer airing on Comedy Central. Fortunately, SciFi picked up the ball shortly thereafter, and I got to see fresh installments.

Still, I managed to see a few of the old CC episodes, thanks to my roommate, who had some other tapes. Santa Claus, Operation Double 007, The Sword and the Dragon.. all very solid.

Now, I own every commercially available episode, and am well on my way to owning all the unavailable ones.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2know
OMG, where to begin?
Any discussion of the wonderful show must begin with its sheer longevity.
Weird to think that MST3K stayed on the air longer than "Seinfeld" or "Roseanne." Even weirder to think that an episode of MST was four times longer than a typical comedy show episode. Its total run was something like 400 broadcast hours, whereas even a stalwart sitcom like M*A*S*H clocked in at 125.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Oh how I miss that show. I had so many favorites!

Many people say it's overrated, but Manos, The Hands of Fate is hysterically funny, but there are other gems that very few people have seen.

Tormented, for example, is one that was aired, and then disappeared. If you haven't seen it, it's this bizarre movie about a guy involved with a trampy girl, but engaged to a nice girl. The trampy girl somehow falls off of a lighthouse, and her ghost haunts the man and his new bride. Or something. I only saw it once. There's a scene where the guy turns on the record player to a sultry chanteuse singing a song called "Tormented." He gets mad, rips the record off the turntable, and throws it on the table. Joel says, "Tormented, huh? Well, now it's a coaster."

The Giant Gila Monster is pretty great. The highlight being the crappy singer showcased in the movie. He's a singer I never heard of, and I don't think he went much of anywhere, but he sings some pretty crappy songs that don't seem to have much place in the movie. ". . . and the lord said laugh, children, laugh. . ."

Mitchell is a terribly underrated MST3K episode. It's a classic at our house, quoted more than any other episode. On the surface, it's rather dull and pointless, with really craptastic performances by Joe Don Baker, John Saxon, and Linda Evans. Sooooooo 70s.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I rode in an elevator with TV's Frank. I was visiting my friend and we were heading down in the elevator, and when the doors opened, there was Frank. He was dressed in a t-shirt, a headband, and black nylon stretch pants that showed his "religion", Apparently he lived upstairs in the same apartment building in Minneapolis.

I also managed to catch MST Live (at the State Theatre, downtown Minneapolis IIRC). They did "This Island Earth" before it was done for the big screen.

I've got all of the eps (except for the three missing KTMAs, of course).

Favorite short: "Snow Thrills" (just barely beating out "The Home Economics Story" and "Mr. B Natural"). There's just something about the rapid fire of "Snow Thrills" that almost makes it exhausting to catch up with all of the humor. My favorite scene is the world's longest tobaggan going through the streets with Joel calling it a class action lawsuit coming.

Favorite movie: "Time of the Apes". Hands down best ep ever.
"Godo, Godo help!" Carol Anne
Crow's response: "Go to hell? He takes you in? Feeds you? Clothes you? And this is the thanks he gets?!"

Worst idea: The MST3K Hour hosted by Jack Perkins. Sorry, that was more annoying than anything.

First Season on Comedy Channel. I think I'm one of the few that really prefered Josh Weinstein's voice as Servo. He just had that deep, rich voice.

I'm wondering if it's ok to "Circulate the tapes" here as long as we're not making copies. If it's okie-dokie, I'm cool with helping.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:04 PM

I love Mitchell. I also love Space Mutiny , Attack of the the Eye Creatures and The Girl with the Gold Boots. I need to buy all the DVD sets.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:13 PM

I have special affection for Cave Dwellers. A scene in that movie had me (thirteen or so) actually on the floor laughing so hard I couldn't breathe, and my dad laughed so hard he had a bit of an asthma attack. Not that asthma is funny, but that movie sure is.

I finally saw Mr. B Natural for my birthday. I'd been wanting for years. It was pretty much worth the wait.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Two Words: Rock Climbing.

Quote:
I don't know about that. It was certainly disturbing. But it really was just an advertising film to push a product. Same with "Design For Dreaming" and "The Selling Wizard." "Once Upon A Honeymoon" has my vote for weird since it has no point other than championing a rather vague materialism and Gay Angels.

The all-out weirdest flicks were "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" and The other Santa movie in which St. Nick takes on the devil.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad
The all-out weirdest flicks were "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" and The other Santa movie in which St. Nick takes on the devil.
S-A-N-T-A
C-L-A-U-S
Hooray for Santy Claus!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 PM

The bit in Space Mutiny where Biff McHugelarge and the world's oldest teenager chase/are chased by Calgon Takemeaway on the floor waxers while Crow sings the doop doop doobie-doobie doop doop do doo carny puts me in respiratory distress every time. (Also, "Sorry you're dead, Sally.")

My favorite short is probably the one with the woman seeing all the wonderful GE appliances of the future at the World's Fair. At the end, Servo has this perfectly delivered line about "Future not available in Africa, South America and some parts of Asia."

--Cliffy
Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
Mitchell is a terribly underrated MST3K episode. It's a classic at our house, quoted more than any other episode. On the surface, it's rather dull and pointless, with really craptastic performances by Joe Don Baker, John Saxon, and Linda Evans. Sooooooo 70s.
Their finest hour, IMHO. (Or their finest two hours, I guess I should say.)

I find that the Sci-Fi era episodes are often unfairly maligned. I think Kevin Murphy as Professor Bobo was fantastically funny, and Mary Jo's Pearl was often terrific as well. The writing seemed to get a little more acerbic by then, as though the writers had simply gotten tired of being polite to all these crapfests they were forced to endure, and that suited me just fine.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:46 PM

I'm a big fan of the short about chicken farming that turns into a big ad for Texaco, "A Date with Your Family", and whichever one it is that talks about how hard parents work to make sure children have food and shoes and stuff simply because of the line, "Timmy is the lathe of heaven". I laughed at that one until I nearly threw up.

It's better in context.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:59 PM

My favorite song will always be from Pod People. Whenever one of my friends is down, we cheer up with "Bees on Pie."
Old 06-02-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelin
My favorite song will always be from Pod People. Whenever one of my friends is down, we cheer up with "Bees on Pie."
"Trumpy, you can do *stupid* things!"
Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

MST3K almost killed me.

Back around Season 2 or 3, I was watching the show for about the second time ever. They were rerunning Robot Monster from Season 1. At one point, the scene switched to a wide shot of an open field of tall grass waving in the wind. Just as I popped a Butter Rum Life Saver into my mouth, Servo said (in a very deadpan mock-documentary voiceover), "Sorghum: nature's bounty!"

I swallowed that damn Life Saver whole, I was laughing so hard. Just about choked to death. I've been a fan ever since.

One of my favorite episodes, which I rarely see cited by others, was The Dead Talk Back. SUCH a horrible movie, SUCH great lines. ("Were you ever in jail before?" "Ja." "What for?" Bots: "A crossbow killing....but I had nothing to do with this one!". And the way Mike imitates the band, tiredly going "Tooty toot toot....") Not to mention the golden "Selling Wizard" short before the movie. Love it love it.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 PM

OK, that's it, I have got to get into this. Of the DVD's available on Amazon, which one is a good one to start with?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Track of the Moon Beast will probably never be included as one of the very best episodes, but it had a couple fantastic interstitials. First, the documentary about The Band That Played California Lady was great (and that was quite a good song), and then there was the bit where Crow and Mike acted out a scene in the movie where the ingenue apologized profusely for scaring the hero, when actually the hero had just kind of looked around. It's hard to explain, but it was just so dumb, and then when they got back to the SoL Crow pulls the same joke while Mike is eating green beans.

I agree that the Sci-Fi eps are sometimes unfairly maligned. I'm certainly more familiar with them, and I do think the humor was different (and much less obscure, as I noted upthread), but they're funny. "Paaaackerrrrs!" Bobo was great and I loved the conceit of the first Sci-Fi season, where Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy traveled around the universe and Mike blew up planets. (Also funny, from the first Sci-Fi ep, Peanut and Bobo greet the newly reconstituted Mike & bots, then start in with "Your movie tonight..." Mike is incredulous -- the experiment's been over for 500 years! "But, it's Ape Law!")

--Cliffy
Old 06-02-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
BTW, is that the same Kevin Murphy who is currently producing "Desperate Housewives"?
No. The MST3K Kevin Murphy apparently hasn't worked very much lately. The Desperate Housewives Kevin Murphy wrote and produced Reefer Madness: The Musical. I thought it was the same guy, as Reefer Madness: The Musical is just the kind of genius I would have expected from an MST3K alum. I give it my highest recommendation.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrotronica
I thought it was the same guy, as Reefer Madness: The Musical is just the kind of genius I would have expected from an MST3K alum. I give it my highest recommendation.
Mike Nelson did the commentary on the recently colorized DVD of the original Reefer Madness.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:23 PM

[snarky robot]I've seen more dignified threads on Starsky and Hutch.[/snarky robot]
Old 06-02-2005, 05:23 PM

You know, I can't think of an episode I don't like. Every line and reference you all have posted has me thinking, "Yeah, that was great!"

As for which DVDs, I'd say start with the four-episode set volume 5. It has Boggy Creek II: Etc, "Geez, Do a pushup, kid.", Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders "Rock n' Roll Martian...", Time Chasers (With Pink Boy!), and Touch of Satan "This is where the fish lives."

Three great recent episodes and one good one.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch
Their finest hour, IMHO. (Or their finest two hours, I guess I should say.)

I find that the Sci-Fi era episodes are often unfairly maligned. I think Kevin Murphy as Professor Bobo was fantastically funny, and Mary Jo's Pearl was often terrific as well. The writing seemed to get a little more acerbic by then, as though the writers had simply gotten tired of being polite to all these crapfests they were forced to endure, and that suited me just fine.

AMEN! I only started watching when it was on Sci-Fi and at first I didn't even know that there had been other characters before. Mary Jo was so underrated-she just has such a wonderfully expressive face. And I LOVED Brain Guy/Observer.

Or the 10th season premiere, when Joel showed up. The 'Bots are all scared, not knowing what's going on, then the door opens and Joel's standing there and they're like, "Oh, it's just Joel. JOOOOOOOEEEELLLL!!!!"

(Oh, and btw, did anyone else think that Bridget Jones's Diary involved Bridget Jones, aka Mrs. Michael J. Nelson, aka Nuveena, aka Mr. B Natural?)
Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 PM

D'oh, I just remembered this after pressing submit-don't you hate it when that happens? Anyone hear the story about them and Joe Don Baker? Word is he was so pissed about Mitchell that he said if he ever saw any of the cast and/or crew, he'd kick the shit out of them. That's why Final Justice went beyond riffing and go down right nasty.

Ever since then, whenever I catch Joe Don in a movie, I just have this uncontrollable urge to yell, "MITCHELL!!!"
Old 06-02-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad
As for which DVDs, I'd say start with the four-episode set volume 5. It has Boggy Creek II: Etc, "Geez, Do a pushup, kid.", Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders "Rock n' Roll Martian...", Time Chasers (With Pink Boy!), and Touch of Satan "This is where the fish lives."
Of those four, I've only seen Merlin. "Believe in magic...or I'll KILL YOU!"
Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Track of the Moon Beast will probably never be included as one of the very best episodes, but it had a couple fantastic interstitials.
This is quite a coincidence, but Mr. Legend recently found a source for MST3K episodes, and we saw that one only last night. It was filmed in our home town, which made it extra...er...special.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:21 PM

He TRIIIIEEEED to kill me with a fork lift! - also had best use of blonde Barbi wigs on Japanese men. "and that's when I told them to GET OFF MY LAND!"

One of the Gamera eps (Ithink) had a nice little bit with a cockpit shot of a jet fighter pilot looking around with the dark visor down. Tom says, "I can't see a thing!" The pilot then snaps back the visor, to which Tom replies, "That's better."

In Norwegine, Ski is prounounced SHEE... Crow: "I think they're full of skit."

Stock footage of an H-bomb explosion cut into scene of some movie, Crow: "Pretty!"

Obviously, I like the Joel era best. Even tho Mike was a co writer at the time, Joel's delivery and presence were better.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponder Stibbons
OK, that's it, I have got to get into this. Of the DVD's available on Amazon, which one is a good one to start with?
Just about any of them on DVD might be a good way to go.. but the Crawling Hand is early stuff, and may be a little unpolished (haven't seen it yet - that's #1.06) - and Manos is difficult even with Mike and the Bots. Wild World of Batwoman, though, had me and a friend in stitches on Tuesday - might be a good exemplifying episode.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit
I have special affection for Cave Dwellers. A scene in that movie had me (thirteen or so) actually on the floor laughing so hard I couldn't breathe, and my dad laughed so hard he had a bit of an asthma attack. Not that asthma is funny, but that movie sure is.
Ah yes, Cave Dwellers. Which was originally one of those Ator movies (Conan the Barbarian rip-off type movie), with title and title sequence changed (using one from a different movie). Same thing happened with Pod People. I think it was something to do with whatever copyright permissions they had acquired.

Anyways, I don't know if we liked the same scene, but here's the one that cracked me up from that one.

*bad guy pokes Ator in the (bare) chest, while Tom Servo makes a doorbell noise*
Crow: Tits all over... I mean, it's all over for you, Ator! I know we've been breast... uh.. best friends...
Old 06-02-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy
Obviously, I like the Joel era best. Even tho Mike was a co writer at the time, Joel's delivery and presence were better.
Nah! No! Nein! Nicht!

There will be no Mike vs. Joel. No warm, goofy Mike vs. lethargic, phone-it-in Joel. Nope, nosiree.

And I thought Mike was the Head Writer pretty much the entire time...
Old 06-02-2005, 06:33 PM

I'm still at work and trying to stifle my laughter remembering all these great lines. My cow-orkers probably think I've finally gone over the edge.

A few of my favs that I haven't seen mentioned are White Goddess, I Accuse My Parents, and Sampson vs. the Vampire Women. "Ah, geez. I didn't want to spring for the bat-chasing option and now I need it!" Plus the short about Cheating was hilarious. The first time I saw the kid reach out to his friends passing by and Crow(?) says, "Spare some change?" I nearly plotzed!

And their lyrics to the Trumpy song were too funny. "Flying over trout. Hideous control now. Idiot control now."
Old 06-02-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstre
Ah yes, Cave Dwellers. Which was originally one of those Ator movies (Conan the Barbarian rip-off type movie), with title and title sequence changed (using one from a different movie). Same thing happened with Pod People. I think it was something to do with whatever copyright permissions they had acquired.

Anyways, I don't know if we liked the same scene, but here's the one that cracked me up from that one.

*bad guy pokes Ator in the (bare) chest, while Tom Servo makes a doorbell noise*
Crow: Tits all over... I mean, it's all over for you, Ator! I know we've been breast... uh.. best friends...
I have one of the prequel movies. I picked it up at a truck stop last year. I haven't worked up the nerve to open it yet. I should. In his own stupid way, Ator's kinda cool.

The scene that almost caused my premature demise was when
SPOILER:
Ator shows up on that hang glider. The sheer ridiculous impossibility of that was obvious even to me as a kid. Bwahahahaha!!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera
.. but the Crawling Hand is early stuff, and may be a little unpolished
...and yet it gives us a great line:

Upon seeing the astronaut's severed arm lying on the beach, Crow says, "Hey, wasn't he in Def Leppard?"

Another gem from Season One: "Robot Holocaust".
Old 06-02-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowTail
And their lyrics to the Trumpy song were too funny. "Flying over trout. Hideous control now. Idiot control now."

"Sack of monkeys in my pocket, my sister's ready to go!"
Old 06-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowTail
Last time I saw that episode, during that song I turned to my friend and said, "Sounds like a Beck song."

That's right, I MSTied a host segment of MST3K. Don't try it at home, it could cause damage to the space-time continuum.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:17 PM

I just met a girl named Creepy Girl.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mitchell has a special place in my heart, not just because its one of the best episodes ever, but because I first saw it at the Memorial Union Theater in Madison. Kevin, Mike, and producer Jim Mallon (University of Wisconsin alumni) did a very cool Q&A after the show. They even did a bit on stage with Servo after setting up a curtain.

Madison had a terrible cable system at the time and didn't have room for Comedy Central, so I didn't get to see the show much from 92 through 96, but that more than made up for it.

Hot merging action!

Another personal favorite moment from the show, Gypsy's only joke in the theater: "They're steam cleaning the horses!"
Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetLegend
This is quite a coincidence, but Mr. Legend recently found a source for MST3K episodes, and we saw that one only last night. It was filmed in our home town, which made it extra...er...special.
Soooo. Do you comtemplate suicide on a daily basis and wear super tight Hagar slacks without a shirt?

My first exposure to the show was on syndication on some crappy network that is now off the air. "Hercules and the Captive Women." I then started watching it on Sci Fi.

I recently discovered the Joel era episode "Master Ninja I." People call the Mike era harsh? Man, they worked over everyone in the episode from Lee Van Queff's gut and rodentesque face to Claude Akin's butt. Actually, that was a complement on Claude's butt, still, ouch.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:31 PM

More favorite moments of mine:
The hang gliding sequence from "Cave Dwellers": "Now let's see, he kills and skins a deer, tans and stretches the hide, learns how to weld and extrude aluminum, AND masters flight!"
Leech Woman: "Neil...NEIL!!!"
Village of the Giants--TOM(reacting to the giant ducks at the dance): "Now, this is just ridiculous! First of all, how did they pay the cover charge?"; MIKE: "Well, they just put it on their bill!"
Laserblast--(seeing the burning '55 Chevy) "Hey, I really like the way you painted the flames on your...OHHHHH!"
Trivia question: What is the only movie MST did that was nominated for an Academy Award?
Aprevious post stated that he never saw an episode he didn't like. Sadly I can name one (for me, anyhoo): the German TV version of Hamlet. The jokes were kinda lame, and few and far between. I guess it's hard to riff on Shakespeare. But there was one aspect of it they never even mentioned: one of the dubbed voices was Ricardo Montalban! My kingdom for just one Corinthian leather joke!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:35 PM

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is part of my regular holiday movie watching. I lurve that movie.

Rats -- I wish I had some others that I could go and watch right now.

And I liked Joel best too.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:42 PM

The Brute Man: the only episode I can think of where the host (Mike) loses it during the movie; he shakes and laughs uncontrollably during the scene where the crotchety shopkeeper harangues his delivery boy (Piss off! I hope you die!!).

Let us now honor Coleman Francis:

Red Zone Cuba:
"Your everyday annoyances shouldn't be filmed!"

The Skydivers:
"Whoever edited this must've had attention defecit disorder!"
Old 06-02-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Who is this gentle stranger with pecs like melons and knees of fringe?

Also, it should be noted for posterity that Cave Dwellers was the origin of Crow's famous line, "I'm HUGE!"
Old 06-02-2005, 10:43 PM

"How much Keefe?"
"MILES o' Keefe!"

Sorry. I'll stop now...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
A bunch of people from church just watched that episode. When Creepy Girl borrows the jacket from the dorky kid to cover her top and runs behind the rock, Crow says, "He's between a rock and a hard place." I almost had some sort of attack.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy
He TRIIIIEEEED to kill me with a fork lift!
I've never even seen that episode and reading it in these threads makes me laugh.

I agree about the spoilered scene in Ator. I nearly died. Another of my favorites is Jack Frost, a Scandanavian treat. "Look, it's Bella Abzug!"