Single guys getting lucky: Are "tighty-whiteys" that bad a turnoff?

I’m just curious, because recently there were links on Hotmail’s front page about the top ten things a person should do or have to attract the opposite sex. One of the things mentioned for men was “nice underwear”, specifically not Jockey-style briefs. Are white briefs such a turn off? My wife never said anything one way or the other about them when we were dating.

And if so, does the color matter, i.e., are colored ones better than white?

I prefer whitey-tighteys over “fancy” underwear on men. (Well, I actually prefer boxer briefs). And they have to be white. And clean.

By the time you’re stripped down to your shorts, you’re pretty much in. On the other hand, some decent drawers can only help. At least that’s been my experience. I don’t “get lucky” much, but I can’t see how the shorts would enter into it.

Mmm… Boxer briefs. White is best, but any color is okay (except for used-to-be-white).

I third boxer briefs. Mmmm. But yeah, tighty whiteys aren’t attractive. Then again, if a guy was taking off his pants and revealed tighties…I wouldn’t tell him to get out.

Tighty whities look like underoos with the superheroes bleached out, ick.

Colors are better, colored boxer briefs are best.

And by colors we mean mundane maroons, navy blues, forest greens, etc.

Most of us really don’t appreciate the leopard skin thing, just saying.

What Queen Tonya said.

I have no problems with tighty-whities, as long as they’re truly white (and I mean all-over).

That said, MrValley is a colors guy.

Tighties look best on men who can fill them out when flaccid; guys who are average-to-small (ish) when soft should stick with boxers. That’s just for general appearance though – like if you were going to be photographed in your undies, or if you plan to lounge around all day (my friend and his 4-year-old son sometimes have “socks and underwear day” when mommy isn’t home).

In terms of getting lucky, once your pants are off I’m not planning to spend enough time looking at the next layer for it to matter one way or the other … and the flaccid/soft thing won’t be an issue. :wink:

I remember reading that article. All I remember is something about $200 jeans and nice underwear though. I forget the other 8.

Nearly ten years ago, when my now-wife and I were just friends, she made some offhand comments about how whitey-tighties were unattractive to her and that boxers were the way to go. I’d worn whitey-tighties all my life up to that point, but since I had a massive (persistent to this day – go figure) crush on her, I was spontaneously compelled to try boxers.

Much to my surprise, I loved them. Wouldn’t go back. And she’s happier. And they don’t wear out nearly as quickly.

Besides, whitey-tighties with bowling themes and Simpsons characters on them would just look silly. :smiley:

I just Googled boxer briefs and there is no way in hell I’m wearing those. Regular boxers don’t give me the support that I need so I’m sticking with the briefs. As has been said, if you’re at the point where the undies are revealed, you’ve hopefully done a good enough job getting her to the point where it won’t make a difference.

In general I prefer boxers anyway, but there’s just something about tighty-whities on my BF…

Colors are good on boxers, but I really prefer white for briefs. Maybe that’s just because I’m so used to doing laundry for my dad and brother that any other color seems absolutely outlandish.

I’d go for a man who wears little lacey things under his pants. All the support of tighty-whities, twice the fun!

Seems like an awfully shallow turnoff. I’ve encountered the no support thing too with boxers. They’d be fine until you had to do a bit of walking. And God forbid any running. I can see wearing boxers for a special evening, but expecting them all the time is like expecting matching lingerie type undergarments on women all the time.

I think boxers are the safest choice because they look all right on pretty much every guy. However, the guy who can get away with tighty-whities is truly a thing of beauty. (Think Gary Oldman in Prick Up Your Ears.)

How about my boxers with pictures of Horton all over them (from Seuss’s Horton Hears a Who)?

I’ve always liked boxers. I’ll take boxer briefs next. Tighty Whiteys? Umm, you’d better have the body to pull it off. Most guys don’t.

Some guys look just fine in briefs, in fact they look damned fine. What isn’t good is when the briefs (boxer briefs included) are all saggy in the butt. It’s not that he doesn’t have much of a tushy, or the tushy is in bad shape, it’s the stretched out briefs that have failed him. If you add that they’re a dingy grey, and generally disreputable looking, it’s not exactly encouraging lustful thoughts, you know?

I do agree that boxers are a pretty safe bet.

My opinion has always been that while tighty-whiteys probably won’t get you thrown out of bed, they will get you snickered at when she tells her girlfriends. It also will ensure that you get a steady supply of new boxers as birthday, aniversary and Christmas gifts.