Pocket knife roundup

I know we’ve done this before, but it’s been a while.

What knife, if any, do you carry? I work in the woods a lot, and it’s always handy to have a good knife around out there. I have carried a classic old Buck 110 for 20 years, but have recently come to the reluctant conclusion that it’s way too damn heavy. It’s like carrying a brick in your pocket.

So, I just broke down and got a Gerber Evo, with a serrated edge. It only weighs 2.8 ounces, and I love the action.

Anyone else?

Benchmade Stryker, plain edge. My favorite knife ever.

Deep in the recesses of one of my purses is a Girl Scout knife. The handle is green, with a gold trefoil. There is a little bit of rust on the blades, but it is still quite usable. I got this knife when I was a Girl Scout in the 1950s, and I used it when I was a Girl Scout troop leader and camp counselor. They built these babies to last! I wish I were still as sharp and good-looking as that knife.

I bought an Old Timer at Sears when we were setting up house and buying tools, etc., on the off-chance that I would need it someday. That day has never arrived, and actually, I can’t think of a single reason why I would ever use it for anything. I don’t hunt or fish or whittle or stab.

I keep a leatherman in my flight bag and a swiss army knife in my headset bag. You never know when you need those babies.

I have a Leatherman Micra, but I can’t ever find it when I need it. I want one of the big Leathermans, with all of the pliers and screwdrivers and nifty tools. The little one is nice, but it doesn’t have enough stuff.

Until recently I carried a Spyderco blade similar to the Manix ~ C95. I lost it on a trip to California and have thus had to work with a crappy Craftsman knife. (I went camping, forgot I didn’t have my knife and picked one up at a Sears on the way. With my luck, that’ll be the one I have for the rest of my life.)

Victoronix Tinker deluxe Swiss Army Knife.

Pliers, scissors, blades, etc.

Nice, has almost everything I need in a knife (no nail file), has only one thing I’ll never use (shipping hook), and is lightweight.

Gerber 2 1/2 inch blade, no model that I remember. Good enough for what I need, opening boxes, cutting packing material, general slicing, and not so good that I’ll cry when I lose it (because I will).

Following SkipMagic’s link, I had no idea Spyderco knives had gotten that expensive. Used to carry those because they held such a fine edge, but losing a couple put made me look else where and those were a lot cheaper than the current crop.

Can’t imagine not carrying a knife.

One (1) Victorinox Mechanic swiss army knife
One (1) Leatherman tool
One (1) Gerber tool

Victoronix Swiss Army Knife. I am not sure of the model. It is one with a medium amount of tools. I use it almost everyday. I have needed three times today already. It is a must have and I don’t like it when I don’t have it like on a plane. In the good old days, security didn’t even blink when I dropped it in the basket.

I used to carry this Buck knife but some morons decided that any knife blade longer than 3" was a deadly weapon and therefore illegal to carry in or around public educational institutions. Now I, too, carry a Leatherman Micra.

The really amusing part is that the public educational institution where I work stocks knives that are closer to 3’ than 3" readily accessable to almost everyone.

Swiss Army penknife. Not quite 3" long and fits in a key case. Got scissors, tweezers, toothpick, screwdrivers (one’s also a bottle opener), and a just plain blade. Handy? You have no idea. Of course, I’m not whittling out cabins in the woods or fixing barbed wire fences or nothin’.

I carry the Victorinox Rambler. It’s small enough to carry conveniently, and I use the tools all the time. Has a blade, a Philips-head screwdriver/bottle opener, a scissors, a nail file/flat-head screwdriver, a toothpick, and tweezers.

I have a Leatherman Pulse, which has all those “pliers and screwdrivers and nifty tools.” It’s helped me countless times over the years, though it could use a little sharpening right now.

I have a Gerber knife with a black plastic handle. Stole it from my father. I don’t always carry it, but usually. I have a Leatherman in my backpack, a graduation gift from my brother.

Goshes, am I the only knife-wielding Girl Scout on the board? :smiley:

For most of college I had myself a Victorinox knife. A small one that fit on my key chain. It has a large blade, small blade, combo flat head screwdriver/saw (about 1/2 inch worth of teeth, not useful)/bottle opening/hook remover, toothpick, tweezers, and scissors. I recently upgraded to carrying a leatherman…umm…something. Juice, maybe? It’s like the micra, but with a small set of needle nose pliers instead of the scissors, and it’s a cool anodized blue color.

I don’t carry a knife on a daily basis, but every pack and suitcase (about 10 bags) has a Swiss Army knife.

My usual suitcase and pack also has a better folding knife, but I’m too lazy to go look and see what they are.

I lost my last river knife in a rapid on the Blackfoot. Be careful if you’re swimming the hole at the end of River Bend campground. :slight_smile:

whistlepig

I dunno, perhaps it was a good idea, that 1/8 of an inch addition could be dangerous. :wink: