Could you be a moderator here?

Could you deal with having to read every thread in your assigned forum and be the one to calm the masses if something starts going awry? Could you be one who has to enforce the rules and be the possible subject of many pit threads if people disagree with your actions? Would you have the dedication or the time?
Me, I think I would be able to…if (and that’s a very big if) I spent more time here. As it is right now, I don’t read many topics because I find reading long paragraphs in replies in topics on here hurts my eyes after a short while. However, that could be because of needing to wear glasses that I don’t. :o

But that’s just me, what about you?

I read most threads in all forums so I don’t think it would be that much of a stretch. I don’t really hold grudges here either so that is a plus. I am pretty sure I could do it. However, I don’t think it would be a good thing because would be turning pleasure into work.

I know I could. I’m a moderator of a forum where the average age of the membership is about 15, the overwhelming majority of the membership is male, and the average IQ of the membership is… well… let’s just say lower than it is here. Moderating this place should be a walk in the park by comparison.

I’ve moderated several large forums. I could do it.

The real question is would I want too?

The problem with moderating a forum is you are one of the voices for the forum. If you partake in threads and decide someone needs to be told off, you have to be careful of what you say. Right now, I could say about anything and it doesn’t really de-value the SDMB. If I was a moderator and I said something a little off colour, rude or nasty, some people will hold my comments against the SDMB directly.

While I’m not an overly active member here (most people probably don’t know me) I like the freedom of being able to say whatever I want. If someone is offended then I offended them and not the SDMB.

If offered the role of moderator here there’s a 99% chance I’d turn it down. It would really depend on how nice the SDMB moderator coffee mug is.

I’m sure that I probably could, but don’t know that I would want to. For sure it would make something that I find enjoyable seem a little bit more like “work”. And I have to think it would tend to skew the way you read and interpret what is said.

I don’t think so. The only forum I read most of the threads in is the Pit, because it doesn’t really matter what the topic is, if there’s enough vitriol I’m entertained. But I can’t follow any thread longer than four pages. I like a good trainwreck as much as the next person, but I don’t have the energy or attention span to participate or keep track of any argument that long.

I think I have good judgement and the right temperament, but overall, I don’t think I’m moderator material.

Same as what Priceguy said. I finally left that forum (for other reasons) but I still have mod privileges! :eek: Go figure.

Not likely. I have time issues. Sometimes, I have all the time in the world to do the job. Other times, I don’t.

No. I lack the requisite Erich von Stroheim jackboots, riding crop, and monocle.

Probably, depending on the forum. I’m not particularly excitable ;).

Probably not :).

• Tamerlane

I think I could, and would usually enjoy it, and would definitely enjoy giving back to the community.

They seem to have enough hands on deck at the moment though.

Man, I sure couldn’t do it. I can’t even imagine trying to do it.

I would love to do it, however, I think my rabid loathing of Dubya would jeopardize any long term position as moderator.

It sure would be nice though…I hear all the mods get paid a fortune, have monthly seminars in Hawaii, a company Mercedes, use of the Cecil condos worldwide and have free pies delivered on a weekly basis. I am not sure if the orgy rumor is true though.

Probably. I moderate a smaller forum than this one, and it runs OK.

I hate it, though, so there’s no way I’d volunteer.

(You hear that, Mods? You’ll have to beg me.)

Meh. If I could moderate the ACLU boards (picture a forum consisting of nothing but Pits, with next to no rules on content) and stay on an even keel, this place would be a snap.

Probably, but I have to clear up one thing - can you moderate while drunk?

**Mordeator;s Note
Modreator
Modterator

[b}Note/b] This thraed is a poll and thearfor belongs in OMHO IM H O.

Moving fto Imho form

IMHO!!!

Commence!!!

Well, apparently not.

Just kidding, of course. Friends Don’t Let Friends Post Drunk. This small-print disclaimer brought to you by Moderators Against Doping Drunk.

Sure. I’m Canadian. Second nature. And I spend too much time here, anyway.

In fact, every time a new mod wanders along, I smack myself for neglecting to volunteer again.

Wouldn’t that flapping head get in the way of reading all the posts, though?

It’s really easy. First you email TubaDiva that you’re interested. Then you have to fill out a forty-page application (in triplicate - they got this cheap paper that carbons won’t work with), send it along a quart of blood, your first-born (and I had to go out and get a first-born just for this - you can imagine how that slowed down the process!), a sample banning of Scott Plaid, proof of your political leanings (fortunately, The Reader is quite broad-minded - they accept both leftists and liberals), then go along to the fourth maintenance door in the fourth mile of the Chicago subway route that runs to Berrien Harbor for your personal interview. (Bring a goat.) See? Simple.