Philly Dopers -- Welcome anyrose on Fri. 3/31

Anyrose is going to be in town March 31st and April 1st for a Sweet Adelines competition. She’ll be staying at the Wyndham Franklin on 17th Street, and I for one am planning to have dinner with her that Friday evening (the 31st). There’s a restaurant at the hotel which is supposed to be nice – that would be most convenient for her, and since the hotel is convenient to Suburban Station, etc., it seems like a reasonable place to meet.

I’m thinking 7:00, unless that’s bad for anyrose – that will give us working folks plenty of time to make our way into Center City.

Who’s game?

Which restaurant? The Wyndham Franklin contains both The Terrace and Shula’s Steak House?

http://www.donshula.com/steakhouse/philadelphia/

On that site, I see a lot of things which IME translate to ‘The place is full of elegant touches, which add nothing to the actual food but increase the prices. The food itself is full of elegant touches which do add something to the food, but the average palate won’t be able to detect that much of a difference, and it certainly isn’t worth the increase in cost.’*

I haven’t got information on The Terrace yet.

*Note that I am not suggesting we go eat at McDonalds. However, Philly has numerous restaurants where the food is prepared by chefs who are masters of the culinary arts, yet the prices remain low.

I was thinking The Terrace, which looks more reasonably priced.

anyrose has expressed a desire to do minimal walking, since she’s going to be standing a lot during the competition. There’s nothing that great close by – isn’t there a TGIF or something over on the Parkway? – but since I’m planning to take the train in, I can’t offer to chauffeur anyrose from the hotel to some other site.

If you’ve got a better idea, let’s hear it!

The Terrace sounds fine.

I think this is the same hotel the Henri David ball is held at. So, the only times I’ve been there, I’ve been rather preoccupied and unable to walk far.

What is a Sweet Adeline competition?

The Sweet Adelines are female barbershop singers. They compete by, um, singing. Let’s get anyrose in here to explain.

Gonna join us, MessyPaint?

there is a tgi fridays 2 - 3 blocks away. would be really crowded on a friday night.

hotel rest. would be best bet on fri. night.

i’m slated to work that night.

Dang! If I hadn’t met you that one time – when, like three years ago? – I’d think you were a figment of my imagination…

Wish I could. If I still lived in West Virginia I would of, but Mass to Philly is quite the hike. This sure sounds interesting, though.

Lessee…

Friday night, no more basketball…

We’re a “quite possibly”. Two adults.

Robin

Well, apparently it’s not too early to start thinking about comming to Gettysburg for our big annual picnic this summer – I think we get about 50 people, usually, and it’s a lot of fun.

I just found this thread. Yay. Looking forward to meeting as many of you as can make it. I’ve eaten at Shuler’s - the food (and the chocolate soufflé) is SO worth the price. The Terrace is your typical “nice” hotel restaurant - food good (they have a buffet) prices only slightly higher than average (read - affordable but not cheap)
I have to stick “close to home” because I need to get to sleep early - Saturday will be bizzzzzy. We go on 7th of 13 choruses Sat afternoon.
7pm is a good meeting time. The quartet competition will be over by then. Anyone mind if my roommate tags along? She’s cool - a lot like me, only shier. (well, everything is relative - compared to me, everyone is shy :wink: )
And for MessyPaint, this is my chorus. If you like to sing (and you’re female) I’m sure there’s onne in your neighborhood (if you’re male, there’s probably a SPEBS near you, too.)

I’m in.

I forgot to mention - whether or not you’re at dinner Friday night, you’re welcome (and encouraged) to see my chorus actually compete (as well as the other excellent choruses in my region) Saturday afternoon. I’ll have details at dinner, or email (from my profile) if you think you’d want to see the competition

anyrose – of course your roommate is welcome! I’ll probably mention the occasion to my friend M., who has come to several Doper Dinners. Despite not being a Doper himself, he’s always up for a dinner with smart, interesting, geeky, fun people – IOW, Dopers.

“Affordable but not cheap” – $20 for dinner? More? Less? Several of us are on budgets.

I talked to Airman last night and he’s amenable but the 31st is kinda far to give a definite yes or no answer. (Objection from the peanut gallery: It’s almost mid-March. This is two freakin’ weeks from now! That’s not too far!)

Robin

twickster - I’m sure the buffet is within your budget and IIRC you can get one or two menu dinners for about $16-$18

I’m with you - but you think **Airman ** is bad? I have a friend to whom 1 week advance notice is too far in the future

bump

This is coming up next week – time to start figuring out fer sher who’s coming.

I am – and, I trust, anyrose – and her friend? I have to check with M. as to whether he’s coming.

And … ?

Looking forward to it - friend’s husband, who will not be at the convention, wanted to know who these dopes were we were going to have dinner with. :smiley: (Actually he’s a long time lurker. Hi Checkmate)