College dopers, how'd you do this semester?

Well, I imagine for most of us, the fall semester is over and done with. First, everyone let out a big sigh of relief…

sigh

There we go. Now, all the work, studying, and good-for-nothing group members have paid of (or not,) and you have your grades (well, maybe you do. If not now, then soon.)

So, if you don’t mind telling, how did you do? Myself? It’s looking like I did pretty well for being back in school for the first time in two years:

Biomechanics I: A
Medical Biostatistics and Epidemiology: A
Cardiovascular Physiology: ?

I’m a little worred about the last one. We were graded on six take home exams, a final presentation, and class participation. The first four exams I got an 89, 94.5, 93, and a 92. Not bad, sure. But I was eaten alive with questions on my final presentation, and one of the final two take homes, that I don’t know the grades on yet, was so freakin’ hard. Plus, not all exams are weighted equally, they are weighted based on the number of lectures pertaining to that material. And, of course, the really hard one has had either the most or second most number of lectures (luckily, the exam I got a 94.5 on is either #1 or #2, and I know the 89 is the least weighted one.) I really, really want an A, because it wouls be the first time ever, in four and a half years of college, I would have gotten straight A’s, but I fear it will only be a B. :mad:

I hate you.

Paper and commentary due Wednesday. I started writing the paper two hours ago and haven’t started the commentary yet.

So what are you doing hanging out on the Dope? Back to work! Get that nose back on that grindstone!

My grades:
Role of the Associate’s Degree Nurse: A
Dosage Caculations: A
Nursing Care 1: A

I haven’t gotten my grades back and probably won’t for a few more weeks. I probably got

Math - A
Psychology - A
Anthropology - A

Philosophy I was worried about because the profession is impossible to please (he only gives 2 As a semester). Due to there being only 45 points total I might have gotten a high B but I am hoping for an A.

I finished grading the last of the papers for the Microeconomic class I am TAing for and they almost all did really well. Several As in that class.

I only took one class this semester (ENGL 701 Literary Scholarship), and just e-mailed my final research paper last night … I’ve been all kinds of “I’m done!” happy since then. :slight_smile:

I won’t know my final grade until later this week, but I won’t be surprised if I get an “A” – then again, I also won’t be very surprised (just kinda disappointed) if I get a “B,” because I messed up one small assignment early on and my final paper was 2 pages shy of the minimum length. I figure I’ll wait until Wednesday to start compulsively checking my grades online. :wink:

I’m still waiting for most of them to come back, but probably got As - I certainly did in Classics 20, which I could have aced while in a coma. I may get a B in Colonial Latin America, 'cause the teacher was a dullard and I stopped caring about keeping up with the readings.

Distinction in Evidence
High Distinction in Dispute Resolution

I dropped out the middle of October. In other words, badly. But I think I really needed a break, so I’m not looking at it as much of a bad thing.

I take my last final Friday.

I am expecting A’s in everything except Physics - if I pull off a B in that class I will be overjoyed. It was very tough.

Well, I was done a while back (right before Thanksgiving, to be honest) because we are still on quarters. The grades came back about two weeks ago…

English 200 - Intro. to Lit. - B
English 251 - Survey of American Lit. 1 - B-
English 275 - American Film History - A
Philosophy 320 - Ethics in Public and Private Life - B

Not too bad, but my GPA needs a little boost. I still have some classes to take that should do that though, such as Phil 105 and French 111-113.

Brendon

I received a Pass (took it pass/fail) for my independent study in cryptography and an A in Abstract Algebra. I’m still waiting on my Numerical Analysis and Anthropology grades though. I imagine they’ll both be either A’s or B’s.

I’m a bit annoyed with the IS grade. Throughout the semester, I just went to the teacher and asked him for chapters to read and problems to work. It was great; I learned a lot. I never turned a thing in and, for all he knew, I wasn’t doing anything. The week before finals rolls around and I asked him what I should do for my final. He says not to worry about it. I want to turn in something to say, “Hey, look, I didn’t just totally slack this semester!” so I suggest that I write a paper about what I learned. He agrees and I write a lovely ten page, single spaced (math majors don’t write a lot of papers in undergrad…the length was a big deal to me) paper all about different cryptosystems and what I thought about each one. I made up examples and I even made a neat paper plate decoder for the shift cipher. On Friday of finals week, after many hours of work, I turn in the paper and decoder and he tells me, “Oh, you wrote a paper! I already turned in your grade. You passed.”

I’m a little bitter that I passed without, as far as he knew, doing a damn thing. It makes me feel like my work didn’t mean anything. Logically, I know that I learned a lot and that’s good, but come on! Grade me on it!

Systems Engineering Tools – A
Leadership – B (Hey, it was required) :rolleyes:

These were my last courses. Got my Master’s degree finished (graduation was last weekend).

Woot!

I took my last final on Friday. So far, I have grades for 2 of my classes, and 1 lab. The rest should be posted by the 21st. Here are my grades:

Organic Chemistry I : A (Got a 92 on the final, the exact grade I needed for an A)
Organic Chemistry I Lab: ?
Principles of Biology I: B (Just barely)
Principles of Biology I Lab: B
Survey of World Hist to 1500: ?

So I have an A, 2 B’s, most likely an A in World History, and no idea on the organic lab. I also took the PCAT in October, and scored in the 92nd Percentile. So over all a really good semester for me. Only one more semester till Pharmacy School… If I get in…

I don’t get grades, just pass, fail, distinction, and the distinctions will be decided by viva next week, so I will post my class rankings.

Systems:
gastrointestinal - 13th
central nervous - 4th
reproductive - 8th

Microanatomy - 22nd
Anatomy - 1st

Exercise and Applied Physiology - 1st

Clinical Skills - 9th

I always slip up in two ways: either in the third quarter stretch of the semester, or by not devoting any mental resources to those classes that I don’t feel worthy of my time. Which is how I got these grades, out of 4.0:

Intro to International Security: 3.5 (Honors)
History of US Foreign Policy 1912-Present: 3.5
Visions of the Universe Lab- 3.5
Chinese 101- 2.5
Visions of the Universe- 2.0

Yeah. The Visions set was required physical science for the University. Both of which I should have four pointed, but…

Yeah, I got nothin’.

Poetry and Being, Foundations of Interpretive Theory, Literature of Trauma

Got A-s on the first two, don’t know about the third. Don’t really care, as long as I pass - that class was torture, so I’m just glad it’s over!

I’m going after my MLS degree, so I’m only taking two classes at a time while I work.

Research Methods in Library Science: A.
Law Librarianship: A.

Coulda been a lot worse!

May I go back to the distant past and relate my first semester at college, many years ago? I was a scared-to-death freshman in engineering at Illinois, a major engineering school. I was living at an all-male dorm floor filled with geeks and gimps. (First floor - the guys in wheel chairs, legally blind, socially retarded, etc.) Some of my classmates had already had calculus in high school, and went to school with enrollments larger than the population of my home town.

Did I mention I was terrified?

Studied my ass off.

Straight A’s.

I hate sharing my grades, we rarely get any statistical information with them, which makes all the difference in the world. In one of my math classes I got a 50 even; bad mark, but 80% of the marks were between a low 40, and 52. I’m an Engineering Student, and anything over 75 is an extremely good mark, and a 50 can be a good mark, but try telling that to an artsie who thinks getting a 75 requires studying for fifteen minutes.

I wrote my last test today, none of my marks are back, but this is what I expect.

InOrganic Chemistry: Average; wrote this final earlier today, got murdered, but I think I passed. We got to play with Ferrofluids, and got to watch about a zillion different explosions :: rubs hands maniacally ::
Here are some movies of one of my favorites: They’re like caps for adults

Intro to Anthro: Above Average; Not way above average because Humanities profs like to define words in unusual ways. BTW did you know that you are better off if you live in Africa; No really, as the Economic Health of a Nation improves, the Health of it’s citizens decreases. Silly Craftsies. I didn’t want this class.

I almost choked a few times in this class. The prof said, in a section about culture change (paraphrased): “We don’t need to be concerned about peak oil, and running out of oil because we can synthesize it from coal”. It was said more eloquently, but in a section about a stone age tribe in Africa: “Most Western Doctors are 90% successful in treating disease, most disease will go away without treatment, the tribe’s healers are as good as western doctors”. Discussing relative :dubious: truths: “[Stone Age Tribe] believes that TB is caused by evil spirits, we believe it is caused by a bacteria, neither view is more true”.

Intermediate Micro Econ (A theory based class): Kicked Ass; I’m continually amazed that Business students don’t drown on their own drool. Also the material is exactly the way I think, so it is doubly easy. Needed this to be a full time student.

My prof in Econ is the living enbodyment of Col. Klink, especially the hand gestures, and pattern of speaking. He also liked to use fractured expressions like: “I’m not going to go into [something trivial though possibly difficult for a Business Student] because it is a milk maid calculation” :dubious: eh?

Electrical and Magnetic Circuits (II): Above Average.

Man, I don’t even know. All of them came down to the final and even with studying way too much, I have no idea how I did. Gatech is insane. For instance, the class average for Calc was around a 50% the last time I checked.

Probable grades:
Useless MATLAB Comp Sci class: B
Calculus 2/Linear Algebra: C
English 2: B
Chinese: Had an A, but I bet it’s now a C

What a worthless semester, worthless professors, worthless engineering school. I was in an Intro to EE class, that involved playing with Lego robots, but was failing so I dropped it. Keep in mind, we hadn’t had any grades, but I was still failing. Didn’t have time to deal with that crap.