The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Women who don't like cunnilingus

Have I been lied to and misinformed my entire life? I didn't really think these existed, but apparently they do. Are they as rare as guys who don't like blowjobs?

I solicit your stories, perspectives, anecdotes, and illiterate off-topic ramblings.
Advertisements  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

They definitely exist and aren't all that rare in the true sense of the word. We have discussed this here before and female Dopers have fessed up to the aversion. A common reason is that they don't think the area is clean or that it is gross. The fact that it is someone else doing it doesn't always play out in the female mind like you might expect. Others say that it makes them feel wet and gross from getting it. Others may have an aversion from a bad experience in the past that they associate it with.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM

When it's good, it's very, very good - I had a lover once who made the bottoms of my feet burn and sent a flame up my spine like a Cylon! It was really bizarre and unique. I don't really know what it was he did differently, but he came with very good references by the other gals at Ren Faire, so it wasn't just me!

When it's bad, it's really annoying. Wet and icky and either tickley or boring. Boring is the worst, because I really WANT it to feel good, and often it has nothing to do with the guy or the technique, it's just not happening. The stars are not aligning or something. So I get frustrated that it's not happening, and then of course that insures it won't happen.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

OK, I can't believe I'm going to say this.

I enjoy it very much, but I prefer to be nice and clean before we start -- at least recently bathed, within the last day, and right before is even better. Himself, however, seems to particularly enjoy it when I am less than "fresh." I don't necessarily think it's gross, but (from my perspective) I would think he'd prefer me to be clean first. <insert joke about why God must be a civil engineer> I don't get it, but I'm willing to chalk it up to a "hey baby, I dig your REAL scent" thing. If he likes it that way, I'm sure not gonna stop him.

(And yes, I prefer him to be April fresh before giving him any, ah, attention.)
Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 PM

Fuck 'em.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM

I'm...speechless...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad

Fuck 'em.
Or give them the finger.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 PM

My ex-girlfriend didn't like it, but that's because she was too embarrassed about sex to even let me try it. With her it was either missionary or doggy, and that was it. Period.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman
Or give them the finger.
Tell them where they can shove it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:07 PM

I have an ex who didn't really like it. She enjoyed the feeling, the few times she let me, but she felt it was "gross", and was very self-conscious that she smelt/looked/whatever bad.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 PM

Well think how shocked I was when I found men who didn't like blow jobs. I didn't know that was possible. Of course after they met me they changed their mind.

But I've never been that crazy about cunniligus. Not because I think "down there" is dirty. Just because I like penetration better. Or at least....serious sucking, not wimpy little licking. Of course what it comes down to is, if it turns him on, it turns you on.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 AM

What a thread to post in now I'm back.

I won't say that I don't enjoy it, only that I never have. It's like WhyNot said, if not done properly it's just irritating. It takes a bit of finesse, and technique, and both partners must be absolutely comfortable. It's not good for me if I must refrain from giving gentle instructions because I think I may hurt his feelings.

Lots of guys I know won't even go there. Others have been so gung-ho about it and given a meh performance. Some say they're great at it, but none have proven it to me. I have gotten to the point where I sort of dread the offer, because I don't like my girly bits being treated like silly putty or tickly little nothing licks without any enthusiasm behind them.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I hate it, too. And I'm a very sexual, very sexually responsive person. I can tell ya, you're gonna get scratched off my partner list right quick if you insist on going down on me. Nothing gets me all hot and bothered like disrespecting me.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 AM

I hope my mother the Doper stays out of this thread.

Perhaps I haven't run into an expert in the art, but I've never really gotten into it, and it's not because of hygiene issues. Approaching my clitoris from the only really available angles during the act hurts me like crazy, and somehow that detracts from the experience. Ouch.

I'm not unwilling to give it a try, but it's more to make my (currently imaginary, sadly) partner happy. But that's okay. Maybe I'll run into one that will launch me into space someday, but until then...eh. I just don't get into it.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Not a chick, but just wanted to chime in about the oral sex thing-

Sometimes someone doesn't care for oral sex because their last 1/2 parters (particularly if it was their first partner onward) were bad at it. This sets a precedent for the individual that makes them believe that's the best it is going to feel down there, so instead of insisting about receiving it, they pass.

I know this was the case for me regarding blowjobs- the first two women I got them from were terrible, and girl #2 had bragged that she did a 'good' job. So I figured it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Current g/f proved me wrong on that, though
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 AM

I don't hate it, at worst it's irritatingly tickling or painful when a partner tries to stretch and adjust everything into shapes never meant to be, at best it's a mildly pleasant warming up activity that I'm just as happy to skip.

I just find it too passive. I prefer being more actively involved and while 69 is a grand idea it's generally not very workable for us in reality. It works much better for me if we're playing with bondage simultaneously, gives me more to concentrate on somehow, but even then I prefer it to just be a tease on the way to the good stuff.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:04 AM

I love it -- now.

When I was dating, I never found a guy who could do it right. Apparently these guys had had positive experiences with previous girlfriends doing things that did NOT work for me. I'm not shy about giving feedback, but at some point it starts to seem like criticism, which isn't so sexy.

However, now I am married, and my husband actually listened to what I was saying, and practiced enthusiastically. Yay!

Cunnilingus: I am a fan.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus
Sometimes someone doesn't care for oral sex because their last 1/2 parters (particularly if it was their first partner onward) were bad at it.
The first time I had it, I saw God. I swear.

It has never done anything for me since. I find it boring and unamussing. And it's been 22 years since my first time.

Ironically, the one boyfriend I had, well let's just say we were extreeeeemly sexually compatible. He hated being going down on. I hated being going down on.

We fucked like rabbits all the time, though.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Like Tears
[...]It's not good for me if I must refrain from giving gentle instructions because I think I may hurt his feelings.
[...] Others have been so gung-ho about it and given a meh performance. Some say they're great at it, but none have proven it to me. I have gotten to the point where I sort of dread the offer, because I don't like my girly bits being treated like silly putty or tickly little nothing licks without any enthusiasm behind them.
Very, very important. Fellow Men (and gaygals): every woman's a world of her own, don't presume you already know everything, learn to take direction(*).
Women: do not assume he already knows everything, do not fear providing direction, and being clear about what it is that works for you(**).

(*) And that includes, if she's reticent, letting it go and doing instead something she DOES wants and like: getting stuck trying to prove a point is an attitude problem on your part.
(**) Please, no expectation that your partner will telepathically sense or just know genetically or by divine revelation what you want and like -- not every woman is you.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niblet_head
I hate it, too.
Why?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Up until several years ago I wasn't too fond of it, and almost always refused. It was a combination of embarrassment and not ever having had a partner who knew how to do it right.

Done wrong, it's boring, annoying and a complete turn-off. Refusing was much easier than faking pleasure because someone is totally convinced they are the best licker in the world and can't bring themselves to believe that perhaps I prefer it done differently than their last partner. Or because being with someone who believes that it is step # 2 in the foreplay instructions so let's give her some lackluster obligatory licks or that it must be done so as not to appear to be a selfish male but it's no secret that they aren't really into it aren't exactly great big turn-ons either.

Then came the day when I finally met someone who definitely knew how to get that party started (so to speak) but also knew how to read non-verbal cues from body language and physical response and translate them into action as well as appearing to take great delight in following verbal instructions (right there, harder, etc).

He also had a take-charge attitude that I found irresistable. It was the first time I ever had someone who took the "you are going to call the shots while I am doing it, but the fact that it is going to be done really isn't up for debate" approach. Just from they way he said it, I absolutely knew that it was going to be good rather than it being just another guy who thinks he knows what he is doing but really doesn't experience.

He was also the first man who ever stayed, ummm, totally and obviously physically, uh, "excited" while he did it. That really pushed it over the top for me. Nothing is quite as thrilling as someone obviously getting off on getting you off.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I don't like it, for a few reasons:

- Yes, I've been with guys who have done a very bad job at it and it's boring
- One guy was downright rude about it (gets up and spits and says "woosh!") and turned me off of it for a while
- I hate staring down over my big fat belly to watch. Makes me feel like a beached whale.
- I only like it when I'm assured "it's" clean anyway

But the biggest thing, by far, is what Queen Tonya said - I do not find it intimate at all. I am up here and he is down there and no one is left to kiss my neck or hold me tight or sweat all over me or touch me in a million places. It's not the experience I'm looking for when I hop into the sack.

Lucky for me, I'm with a guy who doesn't like to do it so it works out great. I've been with guys who flat out tell me "I love to eat pussy" and I really hate to deny a guy what he wants, so it's much nicer to be with someone who doesn't.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat
Why?
For most of the same reasons that others have posted here, particularly Time Like Tears:

Quote:
I have gotten to the point where I sort of dread the offer, because I don't like my girly bits being treated like silly putty or tickly little nothing licks without any enthusiasm behind them.
I'm cooooold without your body all over me! On the other hand, my pussy is not an ice cream cone! I've had guys do it lots of different ways, and it is no more sexually exciting to me than licking my forearm... And finally, when I know that's where you're going and I tell you I don't like it and you insist then the mix of dread and anger (at you for thinking that at the age of 38 with likely more sexual experience than you give me credit for that I don't know what turns me on and what does not) doesn't prime the pump, as it were.

I've had it done lots of ways with lots of guys and I don't like it. There's lots of other stuff I like (for example, I personally luuuuuv to give head and do it well), why isn't that enough?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Like Tears
I have gotten to the point where I sort of dread the offer, because I don't like my girly bits being treated like silly putty . . .
. . .

What a mental image . . .
Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton
. . .

What a mental image . . .
Yeah, like the part where you do the cartoon transfer?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:07 PM

I used to be one of those women. It made me very self conscious, and (as mentioned) it felt so passive.

Then I had a partner who really liked doing it. That made all the difference to me. If the guy is doing because he thinks he should or that it's expected, it's hard for me to relax and get into it. If the guy really enjoys it, it's wonderful! He doesn't have to know exactly what to do (I know what feels good and can tactfully tell him), but he does have to enjoy it for it to be fun for me.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Are there any lesbians who don't like cunnilingus?

What do they do instead?
Old 03-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoir
Well think how shocked I was when I found men who didn't like blow jobs. I didn't know that was possible. Of course after they met me they changed their mind.
I've yet to meet a woman who was as good at giving them as she believed or claimed to be. Regarding the OP, I've dated several women who could've cared less. Never really asked them why, but I got the impression from one that, like me, she'd never met anyone who was able to get her humming that way, so she just didn't care about it any more. We both lightened up a bit about it as we got to know each other.
I find I tend to like doing it in direct proportion to several things: her cleanliness, her pubic hair (she has to have some), and on just how much I like her as a person. If I like her and she loves to have it done, I love doing it. If she could take it or leave it, I don't need to do it.
But as others have noted, it's not very intimate. If I'm with a woman I care about I like making her feel good, but I am still going to want her arms and legs wrapped around me at some point.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
I've yet to meet a woman who was as good at giving them as she believed or claimed to be.
Obviously you haven't met me yet. And I have made converts. And I have the afidavids right here. It is, much like cunnilingus, much to do with the enthusiam of the provider.

Plus a certain amout of ball sucking.

I never said I was good at it till I was told as much. So there.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
And I have the afidavids right here

Cite?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Obviously you haven't met me yet.
Is this a dare?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 AM

The girl who gave me my first kiss and my first blowjob hated cunnilingus, finger play, etc.--anything "down there" that wasn't intercourse. She said it just tickled in an irritating way, and she wouldn't let me do it. Later, she discovered she liked all that stuff when she had her first female partner. So maybe the guys were just doing it wrong.

BTW, I disliked blowjobs for a while for the same reason--the girls I was with were doing it wrong. That girl took a good 20 minutes to get me off (it didn't help that her teeth scraped and she kept coming up to ask if I was close yet), and of my next two partners, one couldn't get me off any way except intercourse and the other wouldn't give head. (Not because she was a prude--we were just so horny that as soon as we saw each other we got naked and went straight for home plate. Before we had time to even think about third base, we'd usually had sex at least three times and we were exhausted.)

I had a change of heart when I dated a girl who could make me come in 30 seconds with her tonguework. Nobody's lived up to her legend yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67
I enjoy it very much, but I prefer to be nice and clean before we start -- at least recently bathed, within the last day, and right before is even better. Himself, however, seems to particularly enjoy it when I am less than "fresh."
I agree with your boy. It's best when there's a taste and smell to it. (Within reason.)

As for my own skills, I think they could use some work (some partners liked it, others got bored of it quickly; I've delivered a pretty decent number of orgasms through fingering and intercourse, but none with the tongue yet), but I can't get anyone to give me honest feedback. How the hell am I supposed to know what to do? Antist has the right idea: some of us really want to do it right, and we'll listen. But every woman I've been with acts like it's some ancient secret that you're not allowed to understand if you don't know already. And then whines that it isn't any good.

Quote:
Plus a certain amout of ball sucking.
My last partner thought she had all the answers, too, and lots of ball sucking was one of them. I couldn't get her out of my bed fast enough, because she talked about what a sex bomb she was all the time but almost nothing she could do could get me off. The screaming orgasms were a nice ego boost, but eventually it felt like I was working like a dog for no tangible reward.

Anyway, not all men are the same. I don't like ball sucking. The first instance of it ruins the whole thing for me. It just feels terrible. And if I ask someone not to do it and they do it anyway because they "know" that's what turns men on, I'm never going to call her again.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Is this a dare?
Yeah. I don't have much else to do this afternoon .

Autolycus, your invited too, assuming you have something to bring to the party.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:04 AM

"My last partner thought she had all the answers, too, and lots of ball sucking was one of them. "

Don't put me in the same catagory. I don't think I have 1/4 of the answers. Just this thread makes the case that no one does. But based on emperical evidence, Iv'e noted that guys like a certain amount of ball sucking. Or at least fondling.

Hell I've noticed my SO likes me to use my teeth. You never know.

It's about commication.

So suck my clit till you can't breath anymore, I'll do the same. And we'll both be happy.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 AM

Yup, we exist. I dislike cunnilingus badly enough that it will turn me off from everything sexual for at least a week if my guy insists. My poor husband has taken way too long, but finally understands that I simply do not like it.

Truth is, I am a hyper-sexual person. I can get into all kinds of kinky, fun, wild and interesting things. I actually enjoy, er, uhm, performing oral sex on my partner, I just abhor it being done to me.

Just my $ .02.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM

I had a girlfriend that didn't like giving or receiving head, but she pretty much made up for it with her enthusiastic and talented fucking. The only time we went down on each other was on my birthday after several shots (for her, to get her mind off of the "ickyness"), and our respective nethers were slathered in whipped cream. Neither of us got off from it since she was pretty much just going through the motions.

I had a fuckbuddy who loved to give head- and did it very well, even getting off from it herself- but hated getting it. An ideal night for the two of us would be for her to lay between my legs until we both came, and she would happily kneel in front of me while I was sitting on the couch watching TV. She'd stay down there for hours, if I let her, and didn't want me to reciprocate.

For the record, I love getting my balls sucked. Gently.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetus
I agree with your boy. It's best when there's a taste and smell to it. (Within reason.)
On that topic -- guys, you ever get real sweaty, go a day or so without bathing, then shove your hand down your pants and sniff it? Know what that smells like? It smells like pussy, is what it smells like! Only less intense. I guess crotch is, you know, crotch.

Not a profound thing to notice, but awareness of it might help us all appreciate our partner's POV.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 AM

I was used to doing oral on all my previous GFs, and it was almost always part of her and my warm-up to the penetration (lick it and stick it eh?) Now my current GF doesn't like cunnilingus and it throws me off, but luckily we're compatible other than that.

I guess the main thing that bothers me about no cunnuilingus is that it takes away one trick from my bag of tricks.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litoris
Yup, we exist. I dislike cunnilingus badly enough that it will turn me off from everything sexual for at least a week if my guy insists.
Male equivalent here. With the additional factor that if someone decides to insist or to spring it on me, there's very rapidly no there there for anything to happen to anyhow.

Dunno if I've got an oral antifixation or what, but ewww!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 PM

What about lesbians?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
Male equivalent here. With the additional factor that if someone decides to insist or to spring it on me, there's very rapidly no there there for anything to happen to anyhow.

Dunno if I've got an oral antifixation or what, but ewww
Quote:
What about lesbians?
Nope, not even then.

Last edited by AHunter3; 03-26-2007 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

It just doesn't do anything for me, ya know?

At best it's mildly diverting but sort of distressing in that I have nothing for me to do (assuming we're not 69ing). Plus, it's not enjoyable enough to me in and of itself that I won't get ummmm bored. I'm fairly easily distracted at the best of times, and non-69 cunnilingus just isn't fun enough to keep my mind centered on the activity at hand, if you see what I mean.

And that's at best.

At worst it's seriously uncomfortable on the edge of painful. Or weirdly non-physically uncomfortable if you're with a fella who obviously feels he should be doing it (rather than actually wanting to).

Either way, I'd just as soon skip it and get to the fuckin', thanks.*

YMM, of course, V.

*And let's not talk about men who won't believe me when I inform them that I'm not a fan and insist on having a go anyway. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH! I'm an adult! I know what makes my girly bits all happy and tingly! They're not your girly bits! Do I argue with you when you express preferences? AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!.

Sorry - I had that built up from my dating days.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm probably totally wrong. Still, I remember from my single days that some people you French kissed seemed to have smoothe tongues and some people you kissed had rough tongues. I always figured that some girls liked one better than the other when recieving. Also, some techniques that might work with a smoothe tongue might be down right annoying with a rough tongue....and vice-versa.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher
Still, I remember from my single days that some people you French kissed seemed to have smoothe tongues and some people you kissed had rough tongues.
Rough tongues?! We're talking about people, not cats! (Aren't we?)
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher
I'm probably totally wrong. Still, I remember from my single days that some people you French kissed seemed to have smoothe tongues and some people you kissed had rough tongues. I always figured that some girls liked one better than the other when recieving. Also, some techniques that might work with a smoothe tongue might be down right annoying with a rough tongue....and vice-versa.
For me, it's not the texture of the tongue necessarily, but a combination of movement and how wet the mouth is that holds the tongue. It can be the difference between a small orgasm (or none at all) and one that's earth shattering and squirt inducing.

I like receiving cunnilingus when it's good; however, I've had my share of really boring, awful cunnilingus. There have been times when I've been with a guy, he's been trying for a while, and (when the inevitable happens and he asks how it was) I have to be honest with them and tell them that it was bad in the nicest way possible. ::shrugs:: I can understand not being into it if that's all you've ever had. I just don't quite understand not liking it at all, although I acknowledge that it exists.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hell I've noticed my SO likes me to use my teeth. You never know.
I've heard of that too. It's all individual, like anything else really. I've just learned not to believe women who say they're the best at giving head, until I see sufficient evidence to the contrary. The only girl I ever got a really amazing blowjob from was the one who didn't brag about her skills all the time.

Quote:
It's about commication.
Agreed.

Quote:
So suck my clit till you can't breath anymore, I'll do the same. And we'll both be happy.
You'll have trouble finding my clit!

Quote:
On that topic -- guys, you ever get real sweaty, go a day or so without bathing, then shove your hand down your pants and sniff it? Know what that smells like? It smells like pussy, is what it smells like! Only less intense. I guess crotch is, you know, crotch.

Not a profound thing to notice, but awareness of it might help us all appreciate our partner's POV.
I've noticed that too. It varies by person, though. The first girl I was intimate with in any way would only give me head if I hadn't showered recently, because she loved my taste and smell. Mileage varies.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 PM

How could someone not like Colonel Angus?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Not big on getting (female here). Sorry it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't find it all that intimate. With my last b/f, I faked an orgasm to get him to stop. He enjoyed giving and I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

I loooovvvveeee giving BJs and last b/f told me his toes curled and he saw stars.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:24 PM

I'm surprised that no one has really mentioned slobber. Totally gross and unsexy to have a guy salivating all over your area making everything cold and damp. This is usually when he also goes into overdrive and starts getting really athletic about it, either because he is excited or because he is getting impatient, and this is a huge turnoff too (sometimes hurts too). No one wants to be subjected to an unsexy slobbery ordeal for 20 minutes, trying to think of a tactful way to tell him to cut it out without having to fake it. Sometimes it's a little too awkward to offer someone tactical advice at that point.
On the other hand, if the giver has a basic grasp of the concept that clits aren't mini penises, and isn't married to the idea that you're going to have an orgasm from cunnilingus, right here right now..........then it can be good.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Rough tongues?! We're talking about people, not cats! (Aren't we?)
I'm pretty sure; she had blonde 'big hair' and said her name was Michelle, but I did drink more back then.