Backseat Hitmen (Off limits to living Mafia players)

This thread is for discussion of the latest game.

Looks to be a blood bath.

Bada-bing. Can’t wait.

With potentially 37 players and new roles, it is going to be a very different game.

I’m quoting the GM’s roles summary (including the ambiguity). Not sure if he will share exactly what is and isn’t assigned with either this thread or the game…

Hey, Win, aren’t you in on the game? SHOO!

Just subscribing so I can find it more easily :slight_smile: The last byte of my biological HDD was used up by Bolzano’s Theorem in '94.

I hope the GM enforces the no-lurking rule. That made the end of the first game very hard.

The Serial Killer and Vigilante roles seem a bit odd as described. The SK doesn’t even have to kill, while the Vigilante has to kill every night.

As a veteran werewolf player I find this rule set to be interesting. I have played games with just about every combination of roles available. Some thoughts on the roles:

Vigilante: His goal is to kill the SK, but in my experience finding the SK specifically is damn near impossible, so his best strategy is to just try to kill Mafia. Generally people with power roles act differently than they do as normal villagers, so that applies to the Mafia as well as the SK. Unfortunately he could also hit the seers. Given the Godfather’s immunity from Vigilante night kills I would come out if I took a shot at someone and they did not die, on the presumption that I likely shot at the Godfather.

Serial Killer - This role is great fun, but they very rarely win. In twenty or so games with an SK we have only had one win. If you act too villagery you get killed by wolves, if you act too wolfy you get lynched. It is a really tough balance.

Beat Cop - This is basically a useless seer. It gives the Mafia a good opportunity to fake seer because they don’t even have to be right to succeed. At best this role is neutral to the village.

Doctor - The doctor role will die as it is currently constructed as soon as someone realizes the hole in the rules. In this set up I come out day one as the seer and start giving my peeks. The doctor protects me. From there the information is out in the open and it is just a matter of luck as to how long the doctor stays alive. As a wolf this is incredibly frustrating because there are no doctor ‘tells’ to look for. For that reason we have modified it to “the doctor cannot protect the same person two nights in a row”.

To the experienced players, this is my first attempt at a game set up, how do y’all think it look so far? Not all the roles are being used, but I was attempting to get a balance and instill a bit of paranoia. Whatcha think?

I think the aspect of it being unknown which roles are in the game and which aren’t will certainly keep things interesting. It seems possible that it will be too chaotic for good strategy, but we’ll have to see.

That’s my fear, I should have kept the player count smaller. But hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

well… that was fun…

question is, do i still fill out my custom spreadsheet, or just read along and not analyse…

I’m sure another game will be along in a fiscal quarter or two…

earliest scum tell ever. combines trying to out a power role with establishing vanilla townieness.

Well, no surprise, I was killed.

IMO the addition of the Millers seemed to kind of push the envelope as far as having a good balance and keeping things clear. But YMMV of course.

I think that any of the players from the previous game that survive several days have a higher possibility of having a special role. The SK and Mafia want the more experienced and insightful players dead.

Waaaahhhh! Given that the thread is already 8 pages, I’m not even going to try to follow it.

The masons, if there are any, and if they learned anything from the previous game, will vote for at least one other mason at some point. Numerous people will rely on Rysto’s spreadsheet for info. People are lazy, and this thread is gonna be one hell of a whopper. If masons vote for each other, they are more easily hidden in such a matrix if they throw a few distraction votes in there.

This can only help the town. I don’t think I’ll postulate any anti-town strategies here, the temptation to cheat is too great for some people to avoid. Besides, I’m rooting for the town :D.

I really wanted to try a nice big game, but I think I may have reached a bit too far. If this game is a success (and I will hate myself if I killed the mafia games on the boards) I might try again with a much smaller game… Fewer people will be able to play, but they may have more fun.

But we will see. I set it up in a way that (I hope) the numbers are going to drop to manageable sizes fairly quickly, and I put a lot of thought into making it balanced. So we shall see.

You may have done really well, and you certainly put a lot of thought into this. I hope you don’t think I was being disparaging, I admire your ambition.

With so many people flying blind, there will be lots of kills that people might not have wanted to happen (being the killers), potentially. The high kill rate may be a good way of including a lot of people, at least to some degree. In the last game the Wolves knew that they could kill anyone besides themselves without there being a real penalty. That has changed in this game, possibly for the better, we’ll see.

There is no way that you killed the idea of such a thread on this board, you should be applauded IMO for making it more fresh, and keeping the idea going. I just hope the Mods don’t drop the hammer on this great new trend.

Just because I was slightly confused by an element of your game doesn’t mean it was a bad idea at all. It’s more than likely that a game of even slightly increased complexity, is too much for my tiny brain to handle. You’re doing a great job. I did not mean to detract from that at all.

I think that Fern Forrest is not long for this game. She posted a mini-festo, and then voted for sturmhauke based on the fact that I, (a confirmed townie) decided to have a drink with him.

Guilty or not, I think She/He dies soon.

Sorry if I came across defensive. I took your quote as a legitimate criticism and a fair one. I am just a tad worried because the game is really big, but I am plagued by self doubt at all times. That doesn’t have anything to do with you.

It is fun to watch it unfold. I want to share inside knowladge but I don’t trust the other gamers enough. I will say that I am VERY impressed by some of the posters and their anylitical skills.

You did not come across as being defensive at all. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t coming across as offensive.

You just gave away a lot of info, I hope that people don’t cheat and read this thread. Actually, having a concurrent thread is a really bad idea in retrospect. NAF just stated (practically) that there have been astute observations in the main thread as of now. As huge as this game is, such a revelation is key. This means that either assumptions were made about the 1st night’s kill that were accurate, or that role-having players have already been accused, be they major or minor roles.

The board rules do not allow for the type of thread-access restriction that is necessary for such a thread to be active, and not a potential source of inside information.

The idea of such a thread is a great one, it’s just hard to make it work well on a site that allows a side-thread that’s concurrent with the active thread.

Hopefully I’m being paranoid, and there is no outsider knowledge of this thread. If I were to bet my life on it though, I would vote that current players are reading this thread.