Cook! Where's my Hossenfeffer?

Please forgive me being a little cryptic in the OP below; the reasons will become clear if you read on. Also please read the entire post before responding.

When going to lunch at Chipotle today, I saw this on a sign with a picture of a burrito sketched to look like a bunny. The sign ended with a tag line something like “That’s our way of telling you we’re not open on Easter sunday.”

Now, I know exactly what this is referring to, but it got me to thinking that if you didn’t grow up with the source for this every single day as a kid, you might not know what it means. And my understanding is that soon after I left that phase of my life, kids entertainment options exploded to the point where they had a lot of other pop-culture options.

So, strictly in order to see if the source for this quote still permeates pop culture the way it did when I was a wee one, I wonder if anyone reading this could take a moment to say whether or not they “get” this little joke, and post their age as well? My suspicion is you have to be over, say, 30 to know what this means.

At some point we’ll have to let the cat out of the bag, though I bet a quick Google will satisfy most folks curiosity. I’d humbly ask no one give the answer away here for at least 24 hrs., just to get a few responses.

This maybe should be in MPSIMS, but it is pop-culture, so I’m trying here first. Mods, feel free to move it if you need to

I’m 21. I get the joke in the thread title, but I don’t get the joke of the sign itself. Are they from the same source?

Ditto. I’m 53…I get the reference in the thread title, but don’t see the connection to the Chipotle sign (or get the joke in the sign). Maybe you had to be there.

I’m 41. I don’t get it.

I get it. I’m 41.

My mistake- your OP was very poorly written. I’m guessing the drawing doesn’t have anything to do with the joke. It didn’t click until I read “I saw this on a sign…” What you’re trying to say is that the sign read:

Cook! Where’s my Hossenfeffer?
(picture of a rabbit-shaped burrito)
That’s our way of telling you we’re not open on Easter Sunday.

31, I don’t get it.

BTW, it’s spelled “hasenpfeffer.”

I assumed this would be a recipe thread.

Shouldn’t it be hasenpfeffer? Whatever it is, I don’t get it.

This link gives the answer, so be careful! Since the beans have already been spilled:

It’s a reference to Shiskabugs, a 1962 Bugs Bunny cartoon

41, and I get it. I even get the burrito dressed up like a bunny; in an abstract sort of way it makes sense.

Oh, so I did get it. 30s here. I thought the joke would be less obvious.

Then again, we used to have a cat named Hasenpfeffer, so maybe it’s just really obvious to me.

Moi aussi.

This was my reaction, too. But rereading the OP, I think the quote was on the sign, as well as the burrito-bunny.

I still don’t know why Chipotle thought that combining the line with a picture of a burrito-bunny would be funny*, but I think I’ve at least figured out why the OP brought the line up.

*Even if the burrito-bunny looks like Bugs, I don’t get why burrito-bunny bears any connection to the cartoon, to even make someone come up with both together.

I got it. I’m 38.

[spoiler] If I didn’t know this was hasenpfeffer, I’d swear it was carrots.

[/spoiler]

I got it, but I originally thought the OPer was fishing to see if we knew what “Hasenpfeffer” is.

Either way, now I’ve got an Ohrwurm in my head. It’s of Elmer Fudd singing, “Kill de wabbit, kill de wabbit…” :smiley:

35 here, I got it. I haven’t thought of that in years. As soon as I saw the thread title, I started giggling inside.

Almost 39 here, got the reference but not why Chipotle would be using it with a burrito bunny.

Instant recognition to the source of the quote. Thanks for the smile!

I’m 38

Got it :slight_smile:

I’m 33.