Let's play a role-playing game

I know that there are other DnD games going on, but I’ve been itching to try out an idea I’ve had for years. It’s rather… “experimental”, but I think it could be fun.

There is no need to learn the game mechanics, as I will handle all of them, and little need to give background information, as that will come with game play. I will say that it is in a medieval/fantasy setting.

I realize that that is little enticement, and I’m asking you to take a bit of a leap of faith here, but I promise a good time. Who’s in? We’ll need at least 3 players, but no more than 6.

All right. I almost never play games on the SDMB, and the last time I played, I got yelled at by the host for doing it wrong. So long as you promise not to do that, I’m in.

I usually ask for a bit more information before signing up!

Is it going to be like the three threads we already have?

If it’s any kind of a “feud” though, I promise you will see my dust I will be out so fast!

I might be in depending on a few things.

Count me in as a tentative with a request for a little more information. Most important to me is the time commitment that will be involved.

It is most definitely unlike a Feud game. To the uninitiated, you will take on a role, much like a character in a novel, except that you will be able to control your character’s actions, within the laws of the physics of my world. That is, you may lift a sword and swing it at an enemy if you so choose, but if you state that you will lift a mountain and chuck it at the moon, I’ll simply tell you that you can’t do that. Other than that, you are free to undertake any action you deem appropriate.

For instance, I might give you the scenario that you are at a market. You wish to purchase a dagger.

You: “I want to buy a dagger.”

Me: “You don’t see a weaponsmith in the immediate area.”

You: “I ask a street vendor if there is one nearby.”

Me: “He tells you that Sedric the weaponcrafter has a shop just around the corner.”

You: “I fly over there.”

Me: “You can’t fly.”

You: “I walk over there.”

Me: “You arrive. Sedric greets you.”

And so on.

As far as time commitment goes, it will probably pretty involved. I estimate that each of you will have to post 2-4 posts per day, but they probably won’t be very lengthy.

It will be very much like the other DnD threads in this forum, and yet with a few big twists.

ok, I can probably handle that. I am in.

Awesome.

I generally like people to play their own gender, though it’s not a hard and fast rule. You’re a gent, correct? (This will play best if we have a mix.)

:checks:

I am!

I have no problem with playing my own gender.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Count me in.

I’ll play if there’s room.

Sounds like there’s a bit of logic involved?

Could be interesting.

Can we edit posts?

Eh, you can count me out. I could handle up to a bunch of posts per day but there’s no telling which day. I don’t want to disappoint anyone.

Looks like we have three definites and two maybes. That’s plenty to start with. We just need to firm up the maybes and let some last minute people in, and we’ll be under way.

Santo, I’m not sure what you mean by editing posts, but I don’t see why not. And yes, there will be some logic, but a few things may strike you as very illogical. Some of it will be downright weird.

I like weird, especially if she suggests it.

In the Mafia games, we get modkilled if we edit. That way people don’t accidentally post, “I’m scum!”, and then edit it to say, “I’m not scum!”

ETA: Can I fly?

OK, I’m in too.

(But your example of buying a dagger used up a day’s worth of posts :eek: )

Good question. You can try!

flies over to tdn’s house

What’s for dinner?

Well, you ARE hungry.

And cold. And in pain. You open your eye – to your slight surprise, you have a patch over your left one – but you see nothing. Apparently, you have been sleeping. On rocks. All is dark around you.

You have no idea who you are or where you come from. You seem to have total amnesia. From what you can gather, you are in a cave.

What do you do?

Do I have any source of light in my pockets? Are there any objects in my immediate area?

I shout Can anybody hear me?!