You can check your Amazon.com shipping history going back 10 years!

Yes it a little thing, but I had no idea it allowed viewing back that far. Checking out the things I was buying in 1998 is kind of an interesting exercise and somewhat bittersweet as there are several items I was getting and shipping to some people dear to me who are no longer alive.

I hope the FBI doesn’t know about this.

I recently had to check on something from an order 6 years ago, and was surprised by this, too.

Amazon.com was where I made my first ever online purchase, back when it was just books.

Yep, just waiting for the tax bill from Newegg and Amazon, just like they did to online cigarette buyers.

I bought some books off of Amazon back in 1997 when my town didn’t have a book store, and they were just another upstart that advertised on The Howard Stern Show.

I can’t think of a better reason to never use Amazon. Really. Think about it.

I’m trying to find it but for the life of me I can’t figure it out. The farthest I can go back is 2007, what am I doing wrong?

Umm… what happens when you look in a mirror? Might be another sure sign!

I’ve just been tracking a recent purchase from Amazon, and I had a look back at everything I’ve ordered since 2002. I agree. It certainly brings back some mixed emotions.

I have and I don’t understand you.

Go to “View Older Orders” under “Purchase history”. Then use the drop down menu to look at the older years.

Likewise. My comment about the FBI was tongue-in-cheek. I really have no idea what you’re talking about (usedtobe). Very mysterious reply.

Call me old, but I lived through the Nixon years, the Shrub years (not as paranoid, but equally convinced)…

You cannot now predict what will be viewed with suspicion 10 years down the line - and having ANY trail is iffy, and having one that ANYBODY can see is, to my way of thinking, unwise.
10 years ago, I could by 10 cases of pseudophed without problem. Now, if somebody finds out you bought a ton of used-to-be-harmless stuff, well, just invite the nice cops to come in and poke around, right?

You need to have a password to access your account so ANYBODY would have to be “anybody” who’s gotten ahold of your online passwords, and at that point you have much bigger problems than someone knowing about your ordering that extra large jar of “Butterball” anal lube in 1999.

People often record their lives in diaries or scrapbooks. Efficient people, however, use blogs or camcorders. And really efficient people, of course, make Amazon do it.

Seriously… what a trip down memory lane! Like an old friend, Amazon was there in the beginning, it was there during the best times and the worst times, it’s still here, and I’m hoping to be a customer till the day I die. Hopefully they’ll have gotten into the casket business by then.

Talk about “getting 'em hooked while they’re young” – I started buying as soon as I graduated from those Scholastic catalogs – and it’s followed me across cities and countries over the years and I still use it way too much. Damn you, Prime and One-click!

Amazon is the anchor tenant of the web, that one, cozy store that’s been there since you were a kid, always ready to welcome you into its warm, soft carts even as the outside world degenerated into a hellhole of burst bubbles and depressed economies. It’s familiar and comforting… chicken soup for the world-weary shopper’s soul.

Definitely a trip down memory lane - the first thing I bought was a 128Mb compact flash card.

Anyone remember $1= 1mb? :smack:

It looks like the state sales tax police are catching up-I fully expect that the states 9(which have been salivating at the prospect of taxing on-line sales) are getting ready to pounce-beware!

I actually found this to be really useful a few weeks ago. I was filling out a security background investigation and they were asking for every place I’ve lived in the last 7 years. I’ve moved A LOT in that time, and could not accurately remember dates and addresses. The Amazon order history saved me a lot of work tracking down addresses, so my rule of thumb is now “order something from Amazon whenever I move!”

In the beginning there was Amazon…and the SDMB. The very first thing I ever bought on Amazon was a book by our very own Eve, which was a holiday gift for my sister in 2000.

Amazon has spoiled me, because I’m so used to being able to see my entire order history that I’m always annoyed when other sites only go back a year or two.

Earliest item on my list is the CD Crescent by John Coltrane, ordered 8/21/02.

I know I was using Amazon well before that, though, since at least 1998 and probably '97.

Ha-ha! My first order: