We're finally moving!

My threads in MPSIMS usually drop off the front page within five minutes, and this will probably be no exception. But we were so excited about the news that we just had to share!

Our new house is a wonderful place. It’s a smaller town than we’re used to, but the neighbors are amazing. They welcomed us with open arms, and even the town’s mayor dropped by to see us a couple of times. To our delight, even though there were a number of people we met for the first time, there were old friends who, unbeknownst to us, had moved there also.

We’re going to miss our old place. We were there for almost ten years, and we felt we had some solid roots. We had a lot of friends, and we will miss them terribly. There were so many shared experiences.

We had vigorous debates amongst ourselves. We weathered storms and outages together. We read books, shared recipes, and discussed movies and TV shows. We asked brilliant people hard questions and got answers. We even got into some fights and arguments, but eventually came out the other side edified and a bit more wise. We were able to patch up a lot of damaged relationships over time.

As a community, we endured the most wonderful and the most horrible things together. We joined others in helping people buy homes in the neighborhood when they couldn’t afford it. We watched young people graduate high school, finish college, find careers, and take their place in the community. We endured September 11, 2001 together, sharing our grief, our outrage, and our dispair.

We cheered our best and brightest as they accomplished amazing things. Our own townspeople produced some of the best writing, art, and entertainment to be found anywhere. And we wept over terrible tragedies, including divorces, injuries, and even deaths.

The great thing about our old town was that, for the most part, people formed Neighborhood Watch groups. And we joined together whenever anything threatened our well being. Sometimes, people from other towns would invade us, and we would all pull together like family to repel them. I’ll never forget when a bunch of fundamentalist Christians rode in on busses and tried to take over. But we all pulled together. Everyone. Christians, atheists, Jews, what have you. And we descended on the invaders with one voice, until only a couple of them remained — those who had meant no harm to begin with, and who eventually became our friends.

Well, the new place doesn’t have much history for us. But it’s warm, and welcoming, and cozy. The town leaders call upon us for ideas. They listen to us. They even hold their meetings under the public eye. We can hear everything they’re discussing, and they do not shy away from suggestions, criticism, or new ideas.

I think a part of what makes it so special is that the mayor and the leaders established the community because they care. Simply that. They love what they’re doing, and they work extremely hard at it. They’re unpaid volunteers, all the way to the top. But we’re going to see about that. We neighbors are going to make sure our leaders are taken care of because they take care of us. We’re glad to do it, and they appreciate our offers of economic and moral support.

What happened in our old town was a sort of corruption, I think, born of complacency and just plain old being out of touch. The leaders were insular, protecting each other’s interests often at the expense of ours. They were matrons and patrons whose authority was so longstanding and entrenched that even questioning them became a cause for establishing special laws.

At first, dissenters were herded into a special building where their complaints and concerns could be heckled in an atmosphere of drunken brawling. Over time, city hall was opened for people with grievances, but the rules were so onerous that even the slightest satirical quip or perception of disrespect was grounds for being silenced, either by gavel or eviction. Eventually, even questioning a pronouncement from on high entailed having to go to a whole new room and lodging a complaint. There, isolated, nobody came. And nobody cared.

And then, suddenly, out of the proverbial blue, the mayor, whom we’d seen only on rare occasions, roared to life and decided that the town didn’t suit him. His matrons and patrons had failed to deliver him the kind of town he wanted. He exercised his powers of eminent domain and sternly announced that things were going to change. He signed new laws and ordinances that overturned years of customary norms. He would tell us what to do and how to speak and where to say what he wanted us to say.

He had been advised, it would appear, that nothing would dislodge this pack of drones and weebles who came to work each day, numbed on Soma, and willing to fawn at the feet of the leaders. Many many times there were crises and blow ups, and each time the dust settled after strained apologies and some backtracking, only to leave the populace to regather its senses and continue working. “No one will leave,” it seems the mayor was told. “Do your thing.”

But this time was different. Who the hell WAS this guy? He wasn’t there when we gathered to hear scraps of information about New York’s astounding tragedy. He didn’t attend meetings when neighbors had fallen on their luck and needed our help. He never once intervened to protect his citizens from the petty and arbitrary tyrannies of his city council. He dropped in only from time to time to remind us of his terrible power, and to tell us to shut up because at least one of his agents was beyond criticism of any kind.

His council elders failed to circle the wagons only when they perceived a threat from one of their own. And then they acted swiftly to rid themselves of dissenters among their ranks. There were exceptions, to be sure. There were kind and caring people on the council with limited powers who tried their best to govern in a fair and even handed way. But now, even some of them are gone.

In the last couple of days, the mayor has become a bit more, um, human. He has issued a conditional, passive voice apology, blaming a general lack of communication for all the hubub and rioting riff-raff. And he has promised new goodies to come for having indulged his book burnings — excuse me — word bannings, and his heavy handed hissy fit that threw the community into near chaos.

But in the words of George W Bush, “There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”

Honestly, I think the worst of it was not the sudden and inexplicable tear of self-righteous anger intent apparently on ripping the community apart. It was more the utter disinterest in announcements by people that they wouldn’t stand for it and would move away. Well just go, they were told. We hope you find happiness somewhere else.

That was the give-away that this was no ordinary tirade, that in the mayor’s mind no community had ever existed. No deep binds. No valuable relationships. Nothing worth salvaging. A woman tells her husband she’s leaving, and all he has to say is, “Okay. I hope you’ll be happy wherever you go.” There could hardly be a more emphatic way of saying he just wasn’t that into her.

Well, here we are. We’ll miss our friends if any still remain. But we really love the new place. It’s almost spring and some of the trees and flowers are beginning to bloom. Domebo, we call it. Don’t know why. Don’t really care. I only know that it’s a wonderful place.

I must admit that I feel a bit icky for expressing early support to the mayor here. Unacknowledge support, by the way. But life goes on, I guess. New people will move in here. And even though the town’s welcome sign has graffiti about farts and people pissing blood, the ad salesmen will be appeased because forbidden words and phrases will not be found buried in a room in a building in a remote section of town.

Please take care. You’re invited to come look at houses in our neighborhood. We’ll help you move in and get acclimated. We do have a few beloved dipshits, but overwhelmingly you’ll be treated kindly and with respect. Especially by the mayor. He’s a good guy. He loves the town. He even lives there.

Here’s to those we’ve known and loved! […tink!..]

I’d better get out of here now. The streets are not as recognizable as they used to be, and it’s getting dark outside.

Much love,

Lib

37, 601 posts.
A great loss, and a sad day for the SDMB.

Well said, my friend – my friend because, thanks to another member of this community, we were able to patch up a rift that seemed unbridgeable. And now we truly are friends, and neighbors in our new home town.

Well said.

I truly love our new town. It’s everything you say, and everything you can’t put into words. I like that there’s a rail link to our old town, and I can still come here and visit, but yeah. What he said.

That was beautiful Liberal! Powerful and moving and sad.

Well, I got me a little place over there, too, but I’m not ready to pack up and leave here. Cost of entry is pretty cheap, and there’s no resale value on the old homes – no sense selling.

To me, the SDMB isn’t a single community. I’m surprised at how many different communities there are, and how many people in one forum can be completely unaware of a “major blowup” in another forum. Even within the forum I moderate (the Game Room), I’m omnipresent in some types of threads and invisible (no pun intended) in others. As of the end of this month, I’ll have been here for six years and over 4,000 posts, and I lurked quite a while before that. Yet I still read threads and say “there’s someone new I don’t know,” only to discover the person’s been here for years and posted thousands of times.

There are people who are here only for Great Debates or the Game Room or (fill in name of your favorite forum here) that are pretty well unaffected by recent changes. Others, who live for the Wild-West environment of the Pit, have had their world yanked out from under them.

People will leave. People have left. People I like. And I’ve followed them to their new home to stay in touch. But I’ve never been much of a Pit guy anyway, so I plan to stay here at the SDMB and leave my door open. Anyone care for a game of hearts?

I got a little place over there too. The door keeps shutting and locking itself every time I step out, but that will get fixed soon. I’m told the city council are cool that way.

Wow, just wow. That was a great post. Beautiful Liberal. Up there with the Dope’s best.

I think the locksmith is nearly done. My locks are fixed now. It might take a bit longer to reach the west coast. That locksmith is a little odd in how he propagates, I mean chooses when to fix stuff. :wink:

Yup. I’ve got a cabin on the outskirts of town, near the lake. Nice place.

And, Lib…

SO SAY WE ALL.

I’d bookmarked the temporary address. Now that I have the proper address bookmarked I’m no longer having to unlock the door every time. :slight_smile:

And I agree. Liberal’s OP was great.

I’m glad I live in a place where people are friendly and nice to each other. I can cross the crosswalk without someone trying to run me over.

The sun is shining most of the time. People are pleasant. If you are standing in line, chances are someone will talk to you. My wife was standing outside a crowded restaurant. A group of women noticed she was alone and invited her to their table.

A while ago, there was a group people who had a huge sense of entitlement. They paid their taxes so they thought it was their right to abuse any public servant. Yelling at the mayor, no problem. Giving the finger to the police, no problem. Anything short of illegal, no problem. Some of the group contributed absolutley NOTHING but bile.

The only time you heard from them was when they wanted to heap insults on others. Especially when the objects of their poison were people too polite or were restricted from repsonding in kind.

The town’s new government started better enforcement of the rules. There was a portion of the people that left because they did not like the new administration. They felt they were stifled in their creativity. I guess they wanted to act like asses and not be called on it.

But just as many stayed and are kind of glad to see the bile and hate and abuse leave. I like my old town and have no plans on moving. The town’s new motto “Visit when you want, bring pie. Leave the venom at home”.

If you fit in your new place, good on ya.

D…A…W TGIAGOTOS

This is an allegory, isn’t it?

Or maybe a crocodile.

I thought it was a metaphor. I always get those two confused. Anyway, I read though 90% of the OP before I figured out it wasn’t about a real-live town, which left me a little disappointed. Oh well…

Persons who enjoyed: This thread’s OP.
Might also enjoy: Love is Like a Butterfly, by Dolly Parton.

I was thinking that the OP would be better off if they didn’t pay so much attention to local politics…

Not all of us, no.

Aren’t you special?

Since nearly the entire OP is a list of complaints about the board, off it goes to ATMB.

yawn

Oh hey guyz I’m having a crisis about a message board, because y’know and shit. What a bunch of ridiculous nonsense.

Jesus wept.