Family Guy Tonight: Entire "Video" Of Conway Twitty Inserted

Okay.
Just got through with that part of the show.

WTF?

Peter says he needs a distraction, then they do 3 minutes of Conway Twitty sitting for the camera, then cut back to show?

Is that normal now on this show?
Is this proof of jump-sharking?

Cheaper than 3 minutes of animation.

I was kinda WTF??? myself.

If there’s one thing McFarlane has never had, it’s the sense of when to end a joke. Family Guy has more gags that just…die…through unnecessary extension than any show I’ve ever watched.

They have done it before (in two previous episodes a while back, they broke away to Conway Twitty singing)

There was one episode of Family Guy which featured a spoof of Hee Haw followed by Peter saying “Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty,” leading to an actual clip of Twitty performing on Hee Haw. I think it’s become a recurring running gag by now, much like the chicken fights.

Yea, McFarlane apparently thinks variations of drawing out a three second joke to 2-3 minutes is the funniest thing he’s ever thought of. It was…kinda funny the first time.

Daughter: WTF? . . . He’s great!

Me: Yes, he was.

Daughter: How old was he when he made this?

Me: About forty. But it was a HARD forty.

Daughter: I can see that.

Conway… Twitty… gave… me… bad… coupon…
/panting

He has long been a fan of the Overly Long Gag (see the twenty second long “Peter is in pain” bit from season one or two).

(student of the Catskill “Hit Them Hard Then Hit Them Again” school of comedy who rather likes McFarlane’s abuse of that ancient Law handed down to Moses on Mt Sinai) (shrugging) The goyim* can be funny.

• Yes, that requires me to either channel Mein Grossvati or Phil Silvers. Silvers was funnier.

A 3 minute chicken fight? Funny
A 3 minute clip of Conway Twitty? Funny for about 15 seconds. I was glad I watched it on my DVR. I thought it was too long for fast forwarding through, let alone actually listening to.

IMO It is just another reason to stop watching this show. Used to be good, and now is just…bleech.

McFarlane is a douchebag. An occassionaly funny douchebag, but a douchebag none the less.

I’m a fan of the “overly long gag”-- and McFarlane uses it A LOT to fun effect-- but like the description above says, when used too often, it gets old.

An entire Conway Twitty video? Really??

And don’t forget, Bird bird bird, bird bird bird bird bird. This season has featured a lot of things that seem like an honest straight up middle finger to the viewer, doing things knowing that people will be pissed, because the writers find that funny to think about, rather than necessarily caring if the audience thinks its funny.

Best three minutes of my life.

I went to get a drink when I saw it was going to be more than 10 seconds of that horrible song. I came back to find it still playing and I accused my man of pausing or rewinding it to mess with me.

But no, it really just went on that long. That’s sad.

Yup, the whole song. The cutaway the first time was funny, but an entire song got old.

I know McFarlane does a lot of “running on forever” gags but this one just felt like they were being lazy and didn’t even want to write one of those long gags to fill the time.

I liked the episode otherwise, though.

As the father of an eleven year-old son with whom I share an obnoxious sense of humor (ask my wife), I’m a fan of the “overly long gag”, too. So much so that, upon realizing that they were going to play the entire clip, I hoped that they would close out the entire episode with Conway Twitty.

I admit that I am probably the only one (besides my son) that would have enjoyed that.

I think Surfing Bird was the best episode since season 3.