The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM

1000 ways to die...Is this show for real? (Somewhat gruesome)

I just watched this show, "1000 Ways to Die." I guess its been on since May of last year but I just saw it for the first time tonight. The show is kind of self-explanatory: It claims to show some extremely odd ways that people have really died. The question is, is this stuff for real?

Some of the ways of death include:

1. A man catching his friend on fire when lighting a fart.
2. A man killed by an MRI machine during a failed drug heist. (The man supposedly had a metal plate in his head and the magnetic field from the MRI pulled his head into the side of the machine hard enough to cause traumatic brain injury.)
3. Two guys tripping on some hallucinogen in the desert freak out and run (not in a car, but on foot) into cacti. The one guy gets a cactus spike through the eye which continues through the eye socket and into the brain.

I did a quick google search of some of these deaths to find nothing. Sure, the deaths sound somewhat plausible, but I can't help but think that they are either highly embellished accounts of what really happened or just urban legends. What do you guys think?
Advertisements  
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 AM

The disclaimer at the beginning of each episode says that they're real.

I mean, I'm not personally promising that they're real, and you can't trust everything on TV, but I would think that if they were only loosely based on real deaths, the couldn't say that they're real. They'd have to say something like "these are based on real events" or "the situations depicted herein are not real," I think.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67 View Post
The disclaimer at the beginning of each episode says that they're real.

I mean, I'm not personally promising that they're real, and you can't trust everything on TV, but I would think that if they were only loosely based on real deaths, the couldn't say that they're real. They'd have to say something like "these are based on real events" or "the situations depicted herein are not real," I think.
The disclaimer to which you linked does say ""The stories you are about to see are true and based on actual events."

So they may not be made up out of whole cloth, but I am guessing they aren't exactly as presented, to some undetermined degree.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Sorry, I linked the wrong season. The disclaimer of season 2 is the one they still use. The season 1 disclaimer was only used for the two episodes of season 1.

The disclaimer they currently use is:

"WARNING: The deaths portrayed in this show are real and extremely graphic.
The names have been changed to protect the identities of the deceased.
Do not attempt to try ANY of the actions depicted.
YOU WILL DIE!"

(emphasis my own)

Last edited by Serenata67; 12-17-2009 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM

They do seem to be somewhat pandering. I mean, nurses don't wear what the nurse with the drug seeker wore. They wear scrubs.

My husband said they had one where a woman got breast implants on the cheap and then got on a plane. When the plane got to cruising altitude, the liquid in the breast implants expanded and the implants exploded. I think I would remember hearing on the news about a woman who died a bloody death on an airplane from exploding implants.

So, pretty much for the show, I'm either or .

Last edited by ivylass; 12-17-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM

I think they do pander in their portrayals of the events, but from what I gather, they events really did happen. They do change the names to protect the deceased and, as with most of the shows on Spike TV, the acting is a bit over the top. But it's fun. (I was going to call it good, clean fun, but I'm not a liar...)
Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM

I saw the one where the scuba divers got on a plane the same day (even I know that's a no-no) and they all died.

I've seen the stupid boys snorting fire ants, and the fugitive who tried to get drunk off gasoline and died when he vomited into the fire.

But the one where the woman choked on her lesbian lover's edible underwear...they played that up for all they could, considering it wasn't pay per view.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
My husband said they had one where a woman got breast implants on the cheap and then got on a plane. When the plane got to cruising altitude, the liquid in the breast implants expanded and the implants exploded. I think I would remember hearing on the news about a woman who died a bloody death on an airplane from exploding implants.
I saw this one too, I was trying to remember it for the list I made for the more ridiculous deaths shown. A little Mythbusters went a long way for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVsXBnV0guw
They put some implants into a pressurized chamber and simulated atmospheric pressure at 35,000 ft (outside of the plane) and couldn't get them to do much of anything. They even injected air into them and still nothing. They also used a regular balloon filled with air and some inflatable things for a bra. Still nothing on the implants. The balloon and inflatable thingies expanded some but didn't blow. Needless to say, air pressure in the plane may be lower than normal, but nowhere near the air pressure at 35,000 ft outside of the plane (which would eventually kill a person obviously).

Even though the disclaimer says the deaths are real, I'm calling bullshit on this. Maybe some of the stuff is real, but I'm now willing to bet a lot of it is just urban legend. Nonetheless, it is good for a cheap thrill and some laughs.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Just recently some Brazilian (or was it Argentinian?) supermodel died after her recently installed butt-implants exploded--I don't think the skin ruptured, but the liquid in the body wasn't a good thing.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM

I think they must "embellish" the stories, changing various details about an incident while leaving the "cause" intact so that they can claim "the deaths are real".

In particular, I saw an episode about a diver (naturally a buxom, bikini-clad, female one) who entered a decompression chamber following a deep dive. Somehow no one else was in attendance, and a maintenance man wandered along and opened the hatch, suddenly causing the chamber pressure to drop, and the diver to messily explode.

This is technically wrong on many, many levels: Chamber hatches open in, rather than out, such that pressure couldn't drop that rapidly; If the pressure differential was that enormous, why didn't she explode or otherwise die on her way to the chamber? Etc.

I believe this tale was, very loosely, inspired by the only incident I've been able to find involving decompression-caused human explosion -- the Byford Dolphin Diving Bell Accident in 1983. If the degree of simplification and "sexing up" apparently applied here is any indication, the show's definition of "true story" is so loose as to be nearly frictionless.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Liquids don't really expand and I doubt the change in altitude caused the contents to boil off and explode the implants.

If an implant ruptures it's most likely because it impacted with something hard and popped.

Last edited by msmith537; 12-17-2009 at 04:39 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Based on a true story doesn't always mean it's a true story, especially on this show. It means there is a true story similar to the segments on the show, but the producers can take liberties and some parts are outright false, including in some cases whether the subject of the segment actually died. For example, in the exploding implants on the plane segment, the woman in reality had a ruptured implant and air entered it causing the implant to expand in high altitude. It did not explode, it was not noticeable without serious examination (even to doctors) and she did not die. Look up Irena D. for the true story. This show is based on a true story the same way that Texas Chainsaw Massacre is.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM

I watched one episode, and that was enough for me. It included homemade liposuction, which of course sucked out more than fat.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, "Based on..." is not exactly scientifically rigourous.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 AM

They did do one based on the death of famous Jack Daniels. Kicked his safe, got an infection in his toe, and eventually died from the infection. So some of them are real, even though they do play it up to make the person out to be as stupid acting/looking/sounding as possible which gets annoying.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM

I don't think I could ever take anything on Spike seriously.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonikosuru View Post
They did do one based on the death of famous Jack Daniels. Kicked his safe, got an infection in his toe, and eventually died from the infection. So some of them are real, even though they do play it up to make the person out to be as stupid acting/looking/sounding as possible which gets annoying.
Well, they're not gonna get Daniel Day-Lewis or Dame Judy Dench to play the person who shook up their spouse's beer for a lark and suffered a fatal scalp laceration from a pressure-launched bottle cap, so make allowances for the acting quality.

The show did enlighten me to the concept of paradoxical undressing in hypothermia victims, so I consider it at least partly educational, when it's not going on about lethal injuries stemming from facial piercings and lingerie and whatnot.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM

I have gotten the the impression that the show mixes real stories, with embellished stories, with just plain bullpoopie.

One story that I had a huge over was the one with the bellydancer being hung by the ceiling fan. We are expected to believe that a ceiling fan can not only generate enough force to pull an adult woman off her feet, but could hold her suspended without being ripped out of it's mountings.

Still the show is rather amusing, and Ron Perlman does a great narration!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM

This thread gives me an excuse to post my favorite Wikipedia page. Some of them might be on there.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetums View Post
One story that I had a huge over was the one with the bellydancer being hung by the ceiling fan. We are expected to believe that a ceiling fan can not only generate enough force to pull an adult woman off her feet, but could hold her suspended without being ripped out of it's mountings.
Well, if she was fairly petite and the guy who installed the fan did his job properly... maybe. What's more implausible to me is that she couldn't slip out of the scarf at her end. Just one fan-yank and it's lights out.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

After hearing that there's a second season of this disgusting show, I can now rest assured that I am not the most morbid person alive.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
After hearing that there's a second season of this disgusting show, I can now rest assured that I am not the most morbid person alive.
Where you been? There's a third season with its last four episodes airing weekly starting December 22, and they'll still have about 800 deaths to explain.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 PM

I'd also assume that whatever they have that passes as "fact-checkers" aren't all that thorough in their checking. That is, "we saw it on the internet" is more than likely good enough for them to claim that a story is "real".
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM

I assume a major decision factor is how quickly they can come up with explanatory puns. A story of a guy asphyxiating on a McNugget would be irresistible, for example, if they can call it "Chicken-Choked!"

A guy who likes using a vibrating shower head on his dick who ends up slipping in the shower and dying of head injuries suffered from "Stimulatio!"

A woman basketball player who tries over and over to make a dunk, training relentlessly, taking steroids etc. succeeds, hangs on the hoop in victory, shatters the backboard, then bleeds out from the flying glass? "Rim Job!"

A woman who tries a threeway between two male bodybuilders gets rammed forward by one hard enough to suffocate on the erection of the other... "Dirty Sandwich!"

They pretty much write themselves.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM

I've always been of the theory that the cause of death is legit but the stories are entirely made up.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I caught the one where a drunken hobbyist was impaled by his own R/C glider. It pinged my bullshit meter so I checked a few R/C message boards, including one that was frequented by the guy the show hired to both fly the plane and portray the drunk.

Their consensus was that there was no record of it ever happening, and that it was physically impossible.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I always try and think of the clever pun they're going to use before they use it. I think I'm something like 1-for-50.

The one I got was the guy at the pool party who was hit by a tiny meteorite. "Dead Meat-eorite".
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I always try and think of the clever pun they're going to use before they use it. I think I'm something like 1-for-50.

The one I got was the guy at the pool party who was hit by a tiny meteorite. "Dead Meat-eorite".
That's the best part of the whole show in my opinion. I loves me some good puns

The one where the guy tied a 12" kielbasa to his leg which gave him a blood clot---"Killbasa" classic.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm waiting for the guy who gets killed by a vegetable harvester.

Tossed Salad!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I watched one episode, and that was enough for me. It included homemade liposuction, which of course sucked out more than fat.
I know lots of people who are stupid enough to try this. .....................and yeah, it could easily be fatal.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
I'd also assume that whatever they have that passes as "fact-checkers" aren't all that thorough in their checking. That is, "we saw it on the internet" is more than likely good enough for them to claim that a story is "real".
Seems to be pretty much the case, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScraps View Post
For example, in the exploding implants on the plane segment, the woman in reality had a ruptured implant and air entered it causing the implant to expand in high altitude. It did not explode, it was not noticeable without serious examination (even to doctors) and she did not die. Look up Irena D. for the true story.
While I agree with your general point, I have looked her up, and that apparently happened last year. (If it happened at all - I can only find a few references, all leading back to a single site, the trustworthiness I have no idea on.) The story has been floating around for a long time before that. At least back as far as 1988. snopes doesn't have a page on it, but mentions it in passing in the article about exploding inflatable bras, including a quote from Designing Women (the episode aired in 1988) that specifically mentioned implants, instead of an air bra.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, they're not gonna get Daniel Day-Lewis or Dame Judy Dench to play the person who shook up their spouse's beer for a lark and suffered a fatal scalp laceration from a pressure-launched bottle cap, so make allowances for the acting quality.
Well no duh. A lot of these people did die in stupid ways, but the stories have been beyond dumbed down to the point of being obnoxious. I'm interested in the way they died, not the terrible acting, the stupid music, the way they portray every victim to be a hick/jerk/bad person that deserved what they got.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Yeah, but watching good people get splattered isn't nearly as funny. I feel bad for the guys who die in industrial accidents through no fault of their own, but the convenience-store robber who gets run over by the car "driven" by an old man who has suffered a fatal heart attack... that's comedy!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 PM

re: 1000 ways...

Have any of you ever heard of "Ripley's Believe it or Not"?
This 1000 Ways thing is in THAT tradition. Exaggerated half-truths, or outright fantasy...
Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM

a woman's breasts DID EXPLODE!

i do agree with earlier posts that 1000 ways to die does embellish, but i think some of the weirdest ones are either real or based on a real event where the person DIDN'T die. check it out:

http://weinterrupt.com/2009/07/russi...thern-pacific/
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Just a relevant anecdote here, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which is the town where the one about the hockey player with the slashed throat was set.

A couple years ago there really was a hockey player who fell on the ice and had his jugular accidentally slit by the blade of a skate. However, the part about him having a reputation for being mean was pure embellishment, and in the actual even he did not die, because he somehow had the presence of mind to skate over to his team bench and was saved by fast medical intervention. You could call it a brush with death though, of course.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

One episode involved "terrorist"[?] playing with the critical masses of Plutonium. I believe that it was a twist on Louis Slotin who was a Canadian physicist who accidently irradiated himself when a screwdriver slipped jamming two Pu hemispheres together during a criticality test which released a slew of neutrons and gamma rays. I guess teh terrorist make for a more satisfying result.

The premise of the show bores one quickly; but the cleaver lines used at the end of the show... like the trailer trash hubby who's going to get some from his wife if he would just take care of a hornet's nest with the inevitable result...

"Me so Hornet"
Old 06-14-2011, 04:12 AM

It's pure "well it coulda happened" shenanigans. The first two clips I saw where the artist dies from a butterfly bomb he made a part of his sculpture and the ejection seat as a recliner death are so over the top they would have been all over the news, and they weren't.

People have died from mishandling old butterfly bombs, but nothing approaching the drama in the show.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I have gotten the the impression that the show mixes real stories, with embellished stories, with just plain bullpoopie.

Still the show is rather amusing, and Ron Perlman does a great narration!
In India many houses have fans suspended from iron hooks in the concrete ceiling or wooden beams. Suicide by hanging is not uncommon. However a fan pulling one off one's feet sounds implausible. In many of the stories one wonders how they learn the details.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 PM

My boyfriend's seven year old watches this show, much to my consternation. I was relieved to hear (from his own words) that he thinks it's a sort of cautionary show. A "stupid things not to do or you will die" sort of deal.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Electrocuted

How about the one where a man is electrocuted by urinating on a electric fence. Mythbusters did a similar episode about urinating on a live railroad track but concluded the stream wasn't strong enough.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago View Post
Just a relevant anecdote here, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which is the town where the one about the hockey player with the slashed throat was set.

A couple years ago there really was a hockey player who fell on the ice and had his jugular accidentally slit by the blade of a skate. However, the part about him having a reputation for being mean was pure embellishment, and in the actual even he did not die, because he somehow had the presence of mind to skate over to his team bench and was saved by fast medical intervention. You could call it a brush with death though, of course.
HEY
I live in Halifax too
I remember that :P
And it was amazing how he didn't die cause he lost SO much blood...
AND
My boyfriend and I watch this show every so often and I always wonder..."How the hell do they know what really happened ?
so , by saying that, my opinion is that they are based off of true deaths but the stories are exaggerated.
I think my favorite episode though is the one with all the furries and the man that tried to get it on with a REAL bear xD
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM

I searched everywhere looking for the answers to a couple of these supposed "real deaths" and could not find ANYTHING to corroborate the deaths. I think they probably had "100 Ways to Die" but that would have run out in one season...so, it seems that a majority have been fabricated. I checked Snopes.com as well as regional on line papers to verify some of these and found......NADA!!!
AS far as the woman with breast implants that exploded on a plane- the cabin is pressurized. I don't think that could happen. The same goes for the Tea Party spokeswoman who impales herself on a bayonet. THAT would have been BIG news. And there is NOTHING anywhere to corroborate it. Again- most papers seem to take their own subjective view on what is "newsworthy" these days. The Tea Party death not being reported is beyond believable- until one considers that my local paper, The Palm Beach Post, waited 9 days before FINALLY publishing a 100 word "blurb" on the ACORN scandal. And that was combined with their barely reporting the Black Panthers blocking polling places in Philadelphia...they don't seem to care or represent anything resembling objective news-reporting. So, we are left with watching the garbage like 1000 Ways to Die and wondering if they are true or embellished and/ or completely fictional.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Sounds to me this is a rehash of the real-life death of dancer Isadora Duncan, who died from having her scarf being wound around the wheel of a moving convertible (and her neck), back in the 1920's.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I find it funny that this thread keeps getting zombified.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

There are two NHL hockey players i know of that had their throats slashed by skates. One was in Sunrise, FL. The Panthers, Richard Zednick, had his throat slashed by Ollie Jokinen's skate in a game against the Buffalo Sabres. He slated off the ice and returned to action the next season. The other was a Sabres goalie, it happened in Buffalo. I cannot recall if he lived, though....but both accidents are a far cry from what was shown on 1000 WTD....
Did you see the one where the angry Hollywood star had his colon sucked out by a Jacuzzi vacuum...?? Lol...they are really stretching these out....
Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM

i think they get away with it because the name of the show is "1,000 Ways to Die," and not "1,000 Ways People Have Died in Real Life." Yes, the "re-enactments" make it seem as if the events happened, but maybe they're just bringing a fictional account to life. In any case, I have been able to watch only about 10 minutes before switching the channel to something more entertaining.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1767 View Post
i think they get away with it because the name of the show is "1,000 Ways to Die," and not "1,000 Ways People Have Died in Real Life." Yes, the "re-enactments" make it seem as if the events happened, but maybe they're just bringing a fictional account to life.
You mean it's.... 1,000 ways to lie?!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidiot11 View Post
Did you see the one where the angry Hollywood star had his colon sucked out by a Jacuzzi vacuum...?? Lol...they are really stretching these out....
Years ago I saw a little girl and her family on a talk show. She had her insides sucked out by a faulty pool drain or filter or something and they were suing the company. A couple of years ago I heard of it happening again.

I think the causes of death are real, but the events surrounding the deaths are manufactured and clearly played for laughs.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Whatever research they do is very superficial. Basically, they just rummage around for a good story and run with it, without bothering to check out the story--and anyway, who wants facts to get in the way of a good story? One bit, the one with the guy who supposedly installed a jet engine on top of his car, is definitely not true.

The show's morbid fun but needs to be taken with a bowling ball sized grain of salt.