The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
I don't quite get today's "Questionable Content" strip

Re today's strip. He's trying to comfort her after his rejection of her advances the previous night. Makeup hug - he holds her gingerly - he tries to disengage - her arms move from his waist up to his chest - then surprised look - then he holds her more tenderly.

Is she doing something out of view? Why the surprised look? What subtext am I missing here?

Last edited by astro; 04-13-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
MsWhatsit MsWhatsit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
At first, she's in a loose embrace with him, but in the next-to-last panel she's gripped him tightly, and then in the final panel, she is crying, as indicated by the movement lines around her head (which IMO are too subtle and easy to miss).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
She's pulled him into a suddenly tighter hug, and, in the last panel, appears to be sobbing into his chest.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Saltire Saltire is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,608
JEEZ Jeph why you gotta be such a downer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM
WOOKINPANUB WOOKINPANUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
I don't mean to speak for Astro , but I don't get it either and no one's really explaining the meaning. I've never seen this cartoon, so not knowing the characters or the storyline, my first interpretation would be that the guy has suddenly, surprisedly found himself turned on by her.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
MsWhatsit MsWhatsit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
I'm not familiar with the cartoon either, but it seems to clear to me that these are two characters that share a friendship; the previous night, the woman came on to the man, who rejected her. Today, they are discussing it: She reveals that she is hurt and upset, and he tries to comfort her by saying that he wants to be her friend, but nothing more. She initially agrees with this, they embrace, and then the embrace turns into her sobbing into his chest, which is what causes the look of surprise on the man's face.

I'm not sure there's anything more to explain.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Munch Munch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I don't mean to speak for Astro , but I don't get it either and no one's really explaining the meaning. I've never seen this cartoon, so not knowing the characters or the storyline, my first interpretation would be that the guy has suddenly, surprisedly found himself turned on by her.
QC isn't really a "one strip at a time" kinda strip. Individual installments aren't going to make much of any sense at all. MsWhatsit nailed it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
QC isn't really a "one strip at a time" kinda strip. Individual installments aren't going to make much of any sense at all. MsWhatsit nailed it.
Especially the ones with Hannelore. Unless you know Hanners's suite of neuroses, it's going to be a bit puzzling.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Miller Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 36,699
There isn't really anything to "get" here: there isn't a punchline to this strip. In the last couple panels, Marigold has had another breakdown and is sobbing into Angus's chest. I expect this is a setup for tomorrow's strip, which will in some manner involve Angus agreeing to help Marigold over come her crippling social anxiety and awkwardness.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Yllaria Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 8,222
It may or may not help to know that Marigold and Angus are roommates, so they can't just avoid each other until the awkward goes away. Marigold made advances while drunk, after Faye left. Faye had been there drinking with them and she's the one that Angus likes, although Marigold may not know it. Marigold is an online gamer who has only recently started interacting with people outside of her room.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Tom Tildrum Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
...which will in some manner involve Angus agreeing to help Marigold over come her crippling social anxiety and awkwardness.
But not by banging her, let's hope. That would totally mess her up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 8,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
...which will in some manner involve Angus agreeing to help Marigold over come her crippling social anxiety and awkwardness.
+1, my call as well, but I would write that as "help her find a boyfriend."

And Angus' ain't banging Mar Bear, Tom Tildrum, that's been made clear. So thank goodness we don't have see Angus in his He Man boxers, nor Marigold in her Batz Maru frillies.

Last edited by squeegee; 04-13-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
+1, my call as well, but I would write that as "help her find a boyfriend."
Well, there are those of us still rootin' for Mar-Bear and Hanners...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Electric Warrior Electric Warrior is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Well, there are those of us still rootin' for Mar-Bear and Hanners...
As much as I'd like to see that myself, the strip has made specific reference to the fact that it's never gonna happen... I also think Hannelore is pretty straight if not asexual.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
As much as I'd like to see that myself, the strip has made specific reference to the fact that it's never gonna happen... I also think Hannelore is pretty straight if not asexual.
Not so much asexual as ewwwwsexual.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
HazelNutCoffee HazelNutCoffee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Aw Marigold! Sweetie, I know how you feel. I swear that strip made me tear up a little.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 60,046
Quote:
Well, there are those of us still rootin' for Mar-Bear and Hanners...
And there are some of us that are hoping to see Hannalore and PeeJee get together.

Okay, maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 AM
The Controvert The Controvert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
But not by banging her, let's hope. That would totally mess her up.
In my interpretation of the strip, Marigold is blowing Angus. Yep, full on blow job. Now, whether Angus is hung like his namesake, or he has a mutant chest penis... well that's just up to the individual reader's interpretation. As it should be.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 AM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Re Marigold, the strip artist really does make her pretty repulsive as he keeps drawing her with an unattractive face, then adds lots of blackheads and acne due (assumedly) to poor hygiene based on her history of not taking care of her surroundings or herself. If she's that slack with simply cleaning her skin I don't think Angus would be in for a treat if they did hook up if she smells like she looks.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 AM
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 8,349
Re: today's (4/14) strip -- Yay, Roomba babies!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 AM
kittenblue kittenblue is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 6,502
I've never seen the strip before...yep, she doesn't want to let go of the hug, then starts crying.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
And there are some of us that are hoping to see Hannalore and PeeJee get together.

Okay, maybe that's just me.
Who's PeeJee????
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
squeegee squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 8,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Who's PeeJee????
Apparently another indie comic thing. See here, seventh character. I've heard of Something Positive, but don't follow it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
PeeJee's from Something Positive.

Also, being rather Hanners-like in the current arc, and getting all squicked at the idea of someone masturbating to the thought of her.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Giles Giles is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Newcastle NSW
Posts: 12,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Since a day has passed, the URL in the OP now refers to a different strip. The OP was about the strip now at this URL (which is rather more permanent).
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 PM
tr0psn4j tr0psn4j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Just seemed like a hug she wouldn't let go of. Therefore, making it awkward.

But the crying thing makes more sense now.

Last edited by tr0psn4j; 04-14-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 60,046
Quote:
Who's PeeJee????
As others have noted, PeeJee is a character from the webcomic Something Positive. My joke was that there are shippers there who want her to get together with another character Davan, much like the shippers in QC want Hannelore and Marigold to get together. In both cases, the writers repeatedly state it's never going to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-14-2010, 06:39 PM
outlierrn outlierrn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Wow, and here's a whole 'nother world full of people with hopes and dreams I knew nothing about, I'm such a hermit, I must get out more.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Cliffy Cliffy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Re Marigold, the strip artist really does make her pretty repulsive as he keeps drawing her with an unattractive face, then adds lots of blackheads and acne due (assumedly) to poor hygiene based on her history of not taking care of her surroundings or herself.
Marigold has two beauty marks on her face, but since she's started hanging out with the others and has become more social, the acne has gone away -- presumably because she's washing more often.

--Cliffy
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Marigold has two beauty marks on her face, but since she's started hanging out with the others and has become more social, the acne has gone away -- presumably because she's washing more often.

--Cliffy
Either the red spots are acne/pimples or the black spots are. You can't call both "beauty marks".
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
tr0psn4j tr0psn4j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Yeah it looks like she has two moles. They're really distracting sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Cliffy Cliffy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Either the red spots are acne/pimples or the black spots are. You can't call both "beauty marks".
Does not compute. When first introduced, Marigold had a bunch of dots on her face. Now, she consistently has the two -- the others have mostly disappeared. Because the first two are permanent, and the others were acne that has since cleared up.

--Cliffy
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 AM
EvilTOJ EvilTOJ is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Did anyone else think of the movie Batteries Not Included when they saw the baby Roombas?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 AM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Did anyone else think of the movie Batteries Not Included when they saw the baby Roombas?
I forgot completely about that movie! It would be a good pickme up next time I'm in a bad mood.

Also, this QC strip seems to be a bit ADD. It's jumped from girl who wants a boyfriend to roombas to girl who makes coffee grinding, expresso crapping robots.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I forgot completely about that movie! It would be a good pickme up next time I'm in a bad mood.

Also, this QC strip seems to be a bit ADD. It's jumped from girl who wants a boyfriend to roombas to girl who makes coffee grinding, expresso crapping robots.
All of these people are friends or at least acquaintances. The girl and guy from the first strip mentioned in the OP are roommates, and the guy is stuck on the girl who built the espresso-pooping tyrannosaurus. That girl works for the other dark-haired girl, who's the girlfriend of another guy who once was stuck on the tyrannosaurus-builder, and the blond girl with the roombas is their upstairs neighbor and friend.

In other words, yeah, it's a little ADD but if you've been following the strip for a while it's less so.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Ferret Herder Ferret Herder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
In other words, yeah, it's a little ADD but if you've been following the strip for a while it's less so.
It doesn't help that the creator doesn't have a cast list (or at least, one in an obvious place) on his website. I had to check out the Wiki article to get a run-down on these people and why intelligent robots are an unremarked-upon part of the strip.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
It doesn't help that the creator doesn't have a cast list (or at least, one in an obvious place) on his website. I had to check out the Wiki article to get a run-down on these people and why intelligent robots are an unremarked-upon part of the strip.
Heh...Marten's AnthroPC was in the very first strip. Intelligent robots/anthro-computers are practically background flavor now.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM
badbadrubberpiggy badbadrubberpiggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Heh...Marten's AnthroPC was in the very first strip. Intelligent robots/anthro-computers are practically background flavor now.
I can never decide whether to be sad or happy they don't really exist.

I mean, Pintsize is funny when someone else is dealing with him - but would you want one living with you?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
I wouldn't want Pintsize...but I wouldn't mind Marigold's AnthroPC...she seems pleasant enough.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbadrubberpiggy View Post
I can never decide whether to be sad or happy they don't really exist.

I mean, Pintsize is funny when someone else is dealing with him - but would you want one living with you?
I'd have to disconnect him from the DSL and lock him up at night, or I'd never get the machine oil stains out of the sofa or my credit cards cleared of the pr0n site subscriptions...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Enright3 Enright3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,606
I'd never heard of this strip until today... now I've wasted a few hours reading through the old strips. This one is a gem: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=165

#165 Entitled "Hi Mom"
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
I wouldn't want Pintsize...but I wouldn't mind Marigold's AnthroPC...she seems pleasant enough.
Well....except for that one time.

Last edited by astro; 04-16-2010 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Enright3 Enright3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,606
I know have to update my previous post to say; "I've wasted a few days reading every strip." It's an awesome comic. I really enjoyed seeing how the artwork got better and better; to the point where I'd now have to enter some of the characters into a "hottest comic chicks" contest.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 21,937
Welcome aboard.

If you haven't done the same thing with Something Positive, you'd better check your day-planner before you start. That's gonna be a project, too.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 PM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
It is an awesome comic. My daughter is in grad school, and claims to personally know every member of the cast.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
tr0psn4j tr0psn4j is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Welcome aboard.

If you haven't done the same thing with Something Positive, you'd better check your day-planner before you start. That's gonna be a project, too.
I guess I'll read that tonight. Oh boy, I have 3 years of comics to read.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 60,046
Actually Something Positive started in 2001. And it's run pretty regularly so you have a lot of reading ahead of you.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
It is an awesome comic. My daughter is in grad school, and claims to personally know every member of the cast.
Does she mean as "types" or does she actually know the people the characters are based on. (I assume you mean Something Positive, but I may be wrong)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 60,046
Quote:
Does she mean as "types" or does she actually know the people the characters are based on. (I assume you mean Something Positive, but I may be wrong)
She could know the actual people. Milholland has said that several of the characters were based on his friends and family.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 21,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0psn4j View Post
I guess I'll read that tonight. Oh boy, I have 3 years of comics to read.
What Little Nemo said.

PROTIP: Milholland puts the comic on hiatus near the end of the year, and even labels the last strip of the year as such. If you want to keep it manageable, just take a break (at least) every time you come across a comic that ends with "End of Year X"

That will be the end of 2002 (since the comic opens in December of 2001). Like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.