What's for dinner tonight?

Johnny L.A. often starts these threads - I hope I’m not stepping on any toes!

Dinner last night was Quinoa, Mango, & Black Bean Salad. It was absolutely delightful; I didn’t add the OJ because it already was at a fairly liquid consistency because the mango was super ripe and juicy. I didn’t have cilantro on hand and I somehow forgot the bell pepper, but it was very tasty and well-rounded nonetheless. Here’s a picture of what it sort of looked like. It was amazingly quick to boot; I think I had it all done in 20 minutes flat.

Dinner tonight is Chickpea Burgers. Can you tell I like EatingWell recipes? They seem to be a nice fit for the healthy I strive without sacrificing taste. I have greek yogurt, and I’ll just make a regular tzatziki instead of the tahini sauce. Of course, I’m a very novice cook (one year in the making!) so I’m sure I have plenty to learn and plenty of cook books to purchase in the years to come.

So, what’s for dinner tonight?

Let’s see, I have a happy hour get together tonight. Dinner will most likely be 1 slice of the plain and 1 slice of the red sicilian from Rosa’s Pizza at Penn Station, washed down with a Pepsi. Since I quit ground beef, White Castle is no longer an option.

We’ll have either stinky cheeses (brie, manchego, and goat cheese), fruit and baguette or leftover chicken Montalcino with figs and pancetta.

I’ve got some pork loin marinating in soy sauce, frozen lemonade concentrate, garlic and ginger but I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. I might just slice and grill it like a thick chop or I might cut it up for kebabs and skewer it along with peppers, onion and mushroom. Polite suggestions are welcomed.

In the oven as we speak is some apple and linseed bread, which we will have with black pudding and either creamed spinach or a salad, depending what sort of mood my partner comes home in. I’m happy with either, but I’m still on holiday, so the worker gets to choose.

Alpha Twit, purely out of interest, if you’re going to cut up the loin, is there a reason why you didn’t do it before marinating to get more surface area? Genuinely wondering if there’s a reason I don’t know about, not trying to sound rude.

Already had it: Lincolnshire sausages, steak cut chips and mushy peas.

As my kitchen is under construction, I’m sampling the neighborhood’s fast food this week.

Tonight was dürüm filled with fried (not deep-fried) squid and salad and some fries on the side. Not bad.

When I get these whole pork loins I generally cut them up into approximately single meal portion, 4" blocks and then wrap and freeze them. One of those sections is what is marinating now. I could indeed cut it up before it goes into the marinade but that would lock me into cooking it that way. I’d rather keep my options open and if that means a tad less flavor in the meat then so be it.

Last night was orzo with chicken, sausage and peppers and since it’ll just be me here for dinner tonight I think it’ll be spaghetti with some leftover homemade sauce, or an alfredo sauce made with milk and leftover stock from last night. Either way it’ll be awesome!

Sous-Vide Pork Ribs. They’ve been in the sous-vider since Tuesday morning; by the time we eat them it’ll be about 58 hours.

This is the first time I’ve done ribs in it. According to this, they should be pretty amazing. We’ll see.

I have some leftover chicken sauted with some garlic powder. I’m going to cook some whole wheat spiral pasta (rotini?) with some broccoli. Chop up and parboil (ok, nuke for a minute) some red bell pepper. Chop up the chicken and mix them all together with a little olive oil and parmasan cheese. I’m debating with myself if a little raw onion will taste okay with it or not.

lindsaybluth: Can’t wait to try those two recipes and check out the rest of the site!

I’m having a salad plus either a veggie burger or one of those Lean Cuisine pizzas. The Gourmet Mushroom, Roasted Veggie and Spinach Mushroom are not bad at all for what they are.

Lindsaybluth****: I can’t wait to try the Quinoa recipe, that looks soooo good. I just bookmarked Eating Well…looks like they have some great recipes. I have my own lentil/mushroom veggie burgers I really like.
If all goes well, we’ll be having homemade falafels tonight. This is my first attempt at making them from scratch, I’ve always used the mix in a box before. I’m soaking the chickpeas now, you don’t cook them, just soak them for 14 hours before they go in the food processor with everything else.

I’m certainly not known for my politeness :wink: but I vote for the slicing and grilling. I’m pretty liberal with my food combinations, but I can’t see how peppers would taste good with lemonade concentrate.

Hazle Weatherfield and Anna Nimity, thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: EatingWell has a whole bunch of cookbooks that should be at your library or available within the system to be requested. My personal favorite is the cooking for two version - it has a lot of tips and tricks on how to actually prepare things (how to slice a mango, how to remove pith from citrus, etc). EatingWell In Season is pretty good too. I currently have on hold at the library their newest 500 calories one. Their website is really well organized to boot. I think they’ve really cornered the market on “vegetarian recipes not by vegetarians” too. They purposefully make their vegetarian recipes - IMO - really hearty, something that’s often missing from straight-up vegetarian cuisine.

Anna Nimity, good luck on the fresh falafel - if it’s a good recipe, you’ll notice a WORLD of difference. This is only the third time I’m making the Chickpea Burger one from scratch instead of a box!

If you’re worried about the harshness of the onion, why not soak it a little in some cold water for ten or so minutes? This is what I do when I want the crispness of raw onion without all of the bite.

Tell me about your sous vide setup. Did you spend the big bucks for a comercial unit or rig one yourself?

Went to Mitsuwa last night so I have a bunch of different types of Japanese style seafood to try. :slight_smile:

Gonna pop some chuck roast into the pressure cooker with browned onions and some beef broth and sliced mushrooms. Salad with ranch dressing and tomatoes on the side.

teela, I gotta ask, what kinda ranch? I LOVE ranch dressing, but the only place that seems to suit my taste buds (oh so refined they are) are diner or institutional ranch dressing. I haven’t found a good recipe of my own yet, or found a decent store bottle.

Tonight, we’re firing up the charcoal grill for juicy lucys (hamburgers with cheese inside the meat). The kids get cheddar and I’m going for blue cheese.

Neither. Mr. Athena bought me a Sous Vide Supreme for my birthday in January, and I’ve been having a blast with it!