Getting a tattoo - need help with English-French translation :)

I want to get a tattoo saying: Here we are and here we go

I want it to be in French though. I’m not sure if I’m doing a very good translation: ici nous sommes et ici nous allons

any ideas, thoughts? Thanks!

“Here we go!” is an idiom in English. If you think about it, it makes no sense. We don’t go here; we come here but we go there. The closest way of expressing the sentiment of “here we go!” in French that I can think of is simply “Allons!”

French isn’t a slapdash about word order as English is. In English, “we’re here” and “here we are” are more or less interchangable, but I think French would have a preference for “nous sommes ici”. But if you mean “here we are” in the idiomatic sense of “we’ve arrived!” or “we’ve made it!” then it’s “nous voilà”.

In short, I don’t think this is going to be nearly as euphonious if you translate it into French.

nm. UDS summed it up.

I’d go with “Allons-y!” actually.

“Ici sommes-nous” and “ici nous sommes” can work as poetic license.

I’d have to think more to find a good way to translate this in French, especially since I’m not a translator, and in any case I’m not entirely sure what the OP’s sentence means exactly. As alluded to by UDS, there are many slightly different ways we can interpret “here we are” and “here we go”.

Translator here. How you’d say this in French depends on the register you’re aiming for, but assuming you want something colloquial I’d say : “On est là, et on y va !”, which would carry the same absurdity/play on words as the English. The alliteration’s just a bonus.

Then again, to add to what **UDS **said, the translation really hinges on the meaning attached to the “here we go”, since it can mean anything from “we’re going there” to “we’re leaving here” to “let’s rock !”. The above translation assumes your sentence is equivalent to “We are here, let’s rock !”

I’d avoid getting a tattoo in a language that you personally don’t understand at the idiomatic level. What if everyone you ask is lying or wrong?

Don’t let them fool you… “Je suis un idiot” is the best way to express that you want a phrase in a language you don’t speak permanently tattooed on you.

French here !

I don’t want to sound pessimistic, but I’m afraid that whatever the translation, the result will be so great.

Something like “Nous voilà, allons-y” would be a good translation but sounds flat.

“On est là, et on y va !” as suggested by Kobal2 is actually quite good, but it sounds, let’s say, a bit childish. To me it evokes a group of enthusiastic boy-scouts.

I’ll give it some more thoughts. But “Here we are, here we go” sounds great… in English ! No guarantee that it’ll ever sound that good in French.

Ignore all these naysayers. I think you should just run it through Google Translate.

Nous sommes ici et ici nous allons.

Je suis un branleur

Idiom is everything and they differ from language to language.

My SO’s dad is French Canadian Metis and her mother is English Canadian, so she grew up hearing both languages, depending on where they were (i.e., which grandparents they were visiting, basically). Up to the age of 5, she spoke a lot of French and then when she started school, she used mostly English.

Anyway, we were watching The Rocket, the movie about Maurice Richard, which was shot in Quebec. I was following the subtitles, and I was surprised to hear her start laughing at things which read just mildly amusing to me. Turns out that in French, some of those things were wildly funny because they had their own history in the language, or meant or referred to certain things that only a native speaker of the language would appreciate and understand.

Take for example Jackie Gleason’s “And awaaaay we go!” It means nothing to someone who never saw his TV show before, or to someone totally unfamiliar with Jackie Gleason. If you translated that into another language, would it take the context or the “history” with it? No. Sure, you could translate it, but it would read (for want of a better word) flat.

I think you’re going to have to stay with the English on this one, or take the consequences that may go with it.

Actually, “Ici nous sommes, ici nous allons” is sort of poetic, in an ominous we’re-not-going-anywhere way. Or maybe “Ici nous sommes, là-bas nous allons”, which sounds deep and meaningful without actually meaning much of anything.
Perfect if you’re going to use the tat’ to cruise chicks by pretending to be all sorts of dark and mysterious :stuck_out_tongue:

I was going for sports talk, since “here we go” is (also) a soccer chant :o.
But yeah, translating something like that without losing anything is never going to be easy, esp. without context.

Je déteste le français

or

Je ne parle pas de français

either of those would work well for a non french speaker wanting a tattoo in french.

With one more word, it sounds better : “Maréchal nous voilà, allons-y”.

Thanks everyone - this was helpful. I just want to be happy with the decision and all the input I can get is great :slight_smile:

I kind of like the idea that it’s a not a perfect translation to those who speak french regularly. It’s kind of fun to come up with something new.

Sorry - what I mean by “here we are are and here we go” is simply - this is the situation we’ve found ourselves in and this is what were going to do about it… does that help?

Then I would suggest : “On [en] est là, on fait ça.”, the “en” being optional. If you leave it out, the “we’re here” is purely geographical (“we are in this place at this moment”). If you add the “en” the sentence becomes more situational : “This is where we’ve ended up, here’s what we’re gonna do”, where “This” encompasses time, place and circumstances.

Another possibility for the second part would be “voilà ce qu’on fait” or “voilà ce qu’on va faire”, which is literally “here’s what we do/what we’re going to do”, but the sentence becomes less snappy as a result.

I could also suggest : “On en est là, mais on s’en sortira”, which means “This is where we’ve ended up, but we’ll make it out OK”

thanks - that’s helpful! how about just sticking to maybe:

On y va - here we go

i think it sounds nice too and very simple

i kind of like

et, on y va

and, here we go