Female (or anyone really) interpret this Womenese for me please?

I asked a gal I worked with out and got this reply.

“I’m currently seeing…dating someone but yes, if i wasn’t i would go out with you”.

Reading into it too much?

Um…what needs translating? She’s got a boyfriend, so she isn’t free to date you, but she wants you to know that if she were free to do so, the answer would be yes.
Seriously, it’s not exactly cryptic.

Yeah, I don’t know the second thing about women, and that one’s pretty clear to me, too. She means what she says.

Here are the options, as I see them.

1. She’s not seeing anyone, is not interested in going out with you, and was trying to find a nice way to say it.
  2. She is seeing someone, is not interested in going out with you, and was trying to find a nice way to say it.
  3. She is seeing someone, but if she wasn’t, she’d be happy to go out with you.

I think she’s telling you that if you could somehow arrange for her boyfriend to “disappear”, she would be yours forever.

She asking you to prove yourself to her, and then she will consider you as a possible date. Some feat of strength using your penis is generally recommended in these scenarios.

What are you reading into it?

This seems more like “English” than “Womanese,” (whatever the hell that is).

Q. Why are you even asking this?
A. Because you want to know if you still have a chance.

That’s a path you don’t want to go down. She has a boyfriend. Leave it at that. If she breaks up with him and wants you instead, she knows where to find you. But at this point you have lots to lose and very little to gain from pursuing this any further.

She’s basically trying to find a way to reject you that won’t sound insulting or cruel.

I’m a lesbian in a man’s body - does that count?

Anyway, if she had no interest, she would just say that she’s seeing someone and leave it at that. Since she goes out of her way to say that she would in fact be interested if she didn’t have her stupid fucking bf to deal with, I think you can take that as a positive sign. The only thing you would have to dig a little deeper to find out is whether or not this is an invitation to be more aggressive. My guess is no. However I think it IS an invitation to remain friendly with her since her present relationship is probably uncertain. You just need to explore the boundaries of what she thinks is appropriate for such a male-female friendship. Lunch or midday coffee is probably going to fly. Anything after work may or may not be a go. Anything on the weekends is probably out.

I disagree. She could be telling the truth, or she could be lying in order to spare the OP’s feelings. There’s no way to tell which it is, but I simply recommend taking it at face value. Either way, the answer is a firm no, and the OP shouldn’t pursue it any further.

She likes you, relationship is probably is on the rocks: watch for rumors that she’s broken up with dude. She wouldn’t have dropped that hint if she didn’t think you might want to pick up on it later.

That was my free consult, next session will be $50 :slight_smile:

I…how…What?
:slight_smile:

You’ll have to tell us what you’re reading into it before we can answer that. :slight_smile:

My take - she is indeed seeing someone, but she wanted to let you down easy.

From my vast experience of being Let Down, I would agree. :slight_smile:

Yes, this. I don’t know why other people aren’t picking up on it. If you find a way to convince her boyfriend “to go away” she’ll be more than happy to do dirty things to you in the broom closet at work.

She totally wants you. I would commence with a regimen of asking her out daily.

Dude, ya gotta slip her the sausage.

Ok, only reason i bring this up.

i told this exact phrase to 3 different women and their reply was.

“well, i wouldn’t of said the last part” Ie. ‘If i wasnt I would go out with you.’

Their reasoning (again, not mine) it shows that she is not completely confident in her present relationship. The each would of stated the first part and no second part. Small smaple i know.

This one’s easy. She’s lying. In one sentence she lied to you twice. She’s probably not seeing someone and the reason she said she is because she doesn’t want to go out with you.