Foods you wished you liked but you don't

I wish I liked yogurt. It looks sort of like ice cream, which is good. It is usually mixed with yummy additives like fruit or candy or something. Apparently it is healthy for the most part but I hate it. It is vile.

I wish I liked cheesecake. People seem to enjoy it so much. It also seems to be import to some people. I’ve actually had to change diner plans because restaurant A had better cheesecake than restaurant B so we had to go to A. I’ve tried it more than once and just don’t get it. I’d rather have a slice of pie.

I wish I liked Root Beer. The foam is so much fun and it looks like it would taste great but yet it is nasty. Also Root Beer Floats. Alas I hate Root Beer.

How about you? Any food you wish you liked but just don’t?

Seafood. If it lived in the water, I won’t eat it. It’s one of the few things I really wished I liked. It would open up so many more restaurants and entrees and recipes and things to try, but alas, it’s a no go for me.

I wish I liked asparagus. All the cool kids do. It’s on all the food I love. I give it to my mom. I have no regrets about despising shrimp and lobster, but I wish I liked the little spears.

ETA - and cooked broccoli, because that would give me an easy cheap green veggie. Raw is fine, but I can’t stand it cooked. Roasted is okay, I guess.

If you want a hassle, go through life repelled by cheese. So gross and it’s on everything.

Steak.

I know, I’m weird, but I find it to be just too much to handle. The rest of the world seems to consider it the epitome of culinary excellence, or some such, but I’m just revolted by it as soon as it goes in my mouth.

And it’s not a moral anti-meat thing, either, because I like many other meat dishes.

Seafood for me too. So healthy, so cheap, so abundant. So yucky :frowning: :frowning:

Shellfish. I just can’t get into it.

Vegetables, in general.

I don’t eat enough.

I know people who seem to enjoy them like I enjoy fat, carbs, and red meat.

Olives. I try them every year or two, hoping that I’ll find something about them to enjoy. So far, no such luck.

And many of the ingredients in potato salad: boiled eggs (actually, just the yolk - icky texture, IMHO,) pickle relish, pimientos. No.

Canned tuna: Tuna salad seems like it would be awesome, but I can’t get past the smell of canned tuna. Love fresh tuna, but canned is horrific…

Yogurt, broccoli, grapefruit, tomatoes [I can eat them cooked up like in sauces but in their ‘natural state,’ nope].

I opened the thread to say exactly that.

Not disguised as ice cream
Not wrapped around peanuts
Not mixed with fruit
Not covering raisins
Not instead of sour cream
Not in salad dressing
Not in smoothies
Not substituted, adulterated, garnished, dolloped
Not on a yam

I do not like it, …

Eggs. There are so many ways to nutritiously use eggs (or whites) but I just can’t get over the texture. It would be such easy bliss to throw a hard boiled egg into my lunch, or scramble up a quick omelette or fritatta full of yummy ham and cheese. Believe me, I’ve tried it all and it’s no use.

Pie. :frowning: Everyone acts like you’re insane if you don’t. I kind of like apple pie, but not too often. Really, I’m more of a cake/cookie/brownie kind of gal.

Cilantro.

I’ve got one of those super sensitive palates which makes cilantro taste like soap. I know it is not supposed to but anything that has cilantro on it tastes like it has been drizzled with green Palmolive dishwashing soap.

And I wish I had a better tolerance for spice. That super-sensitive palate of mine makes me a bit of a spice wimp but I am working on that. Still can’t eat Vindaloo…

When I read the thread title, I thought of this immediately. I keep trying to eat yogurt, and I keep getting repulsed by it. Except for TCBY frozen treats, and I’m pretty sure that that stuff has too much sugar in it to be healthy, plus of course it’s not live culture if it’s frozen, right?

Pickles. Everyone looks at me funny when I say I can’t stand them.

Just a note on potato salad: It’s possible to make it without eggs, relish & pimentos. Although that was the kind we had when I was growing up; didn’t care for it. I like egg salad & love deviled eggs but don’t think boiled eggs add much to potatoes or tuna.

One good version has radishes, scallions & dill seeds in a dressing of mayo/sour cream. An oil-vinegar dressing with herbs works, too. The latter could be served warm–perhaps with bacon.

(Don’t have many dislikes, myself. I do prefer my squid cooked–that was the suspect when I got food poisoning from sushi.)

Anything with an anise or licorice flavor. It seems to be in a lot of things, and I’ve tried liking it, really I have. The taste of it is like satan’s anus.

I was going to say cilantro, but I hate cilantro, and I’m not sorry and do not miss out. It’s soapy and even the tiniest bit overwhelms the food so that’s all I taste.

I don’t like Sage. I know, let me have it.

+1 on both of these.

A lot of meds used licorice flavor to cover the bitter back in the 60s, so I associate the taste with being sick, and really nasty medication =( [specifically some nasty oral suspension of antibiotics]

And cilantro tastes soap. Nasty, vile crap. When I make salsa, if it calls for half a cup or a cup, it might get a scant pinch because it is actually part of the proper flavor profile.