The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Can you sell somebody else's soul to the devil?

Based on the traditional beliefs that souls exist, that their ownership can be transferred, and that the devil exists and wants to acquire souls.

So let's say I go around offering to buy other people's souls. I claim I'm making a point about skepticism. I offer to buy any soul for five dollars. Some people agree to sell me their soul for the money.

But I have a nefarious plan. I summon the devil and tell him I want to have a three way with Rosario Dawson and Maggie Q. He says he can make it happen but I have to agree to the normal terms and give him my soul.

I tell him I'm not willing to pay the afterlife consequences of selling him my soul. But as he gets ready to leave, I make my counteroffer - I'll sell him two of the souls I bought from other people.

He's the devil - he's looking at the big picture. Why would he want my soul in particular? As far as he's concerned all souls are good and he's coming out ahead to get two souls instead of just one. By acting as a middleman, I get my sexual fantasy for an outlay of just ten bucks. And the original owners of those two souls? Nobody twisted their arms, they sold those souls for what they agreed was a fair market value and I never agreed not to resell them.

I tell the devil that I've still got plenty of other souls and I'll be getting back in touch for future deals.

In your opinion, does my plan work?
Advertisements  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In what religion would you be allowed into heaven after making a deal like that? Looks to me like he gets your soul anyway.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

In order to get what you desire, you have to give up your own soul. Using someone else's is just like using a counterfeit bill.

I think even the devil would have morals about this.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
In what religion would you be allowed into heaven after making a deal like that? Looks to me like he gets your soul anyway.
Yeah, I assume that the very fact that you're making a deal with the devil means that you're going to hell.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Yeah, I assume that the very fact that you're making a deal with the devil means that you're going to hell.
Yes, I considered that possibility. But I'm not convinced it applies.

There apparently are two different ways in which your soul can be damned. One is through general immorality - you do bad things in life and you go to hell when you die. The other is through a specific exchange of ownership such as we're discussing here.

The sale of a soul is apparently just a contractual matter not an issue of morality. We've all heard numerous examples of people who sell their souls for moral reasons ("I'll sell my soul if you let my family live"). And we've heard of people who beat the devil on some legal technicality even after agreeing to the sale. So you only get damned for selling your soul if it's within the context of the contractual relationship not merely for the act of entering the relationship. If it was the case that merely agreeing to the sale was sufficient to cause your damnation, why would the devil ever bother fulfilling his end of the bargain? He'd have acquired your soul as soon as you signed and have no need to pay you anything now.

And if this is the case and there's no general immorality implied in the sale of your soul, it's hard to see how there can be any immorality in the sale of anyone else's soul. You didn't coerce or threaten anyone to acquire their souls. Nor is the price I asked necessarily damning. If I had asked the devil to kill all my enemies, I'd be asking for something immoral in itself. But I only asked for sex - I wouldn't be damned if I were able to convince Ms Dawson and Ms Q to have a threesome based on my charm rather than on diabolic intervention.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcards View Post
In order to get what you desire, you have to give up your own soul. Using someone else's is just like using a counterfeit bill.

I think even the devil would have morals about this.
I don't see that either. The whole point of the selling of souls is that their ownership can be transferred. Otherwise the devil could never buy my soul - it would always belong to me even if I tried to sell it away.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you repent and ask forgiveness, is it not in God's power to nullify the deal?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM

Fear Itself, I was thinking of the repent angle as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

The sale of a soul is apparently just a contractual matter not an issue of morality. We've all heard numerous examples of people who sell their souls for moral reasons ("I'll sell my soul if you let my family live").
In a world where you know there's such a thing as Heaven and Hell, why would anyone agree to that kind of deal? Yes, dying sucks, but if your family was good, they get to go to Heaven. And if they were bad, selling your soul just prolongs them going to Hell. Life just seems too utterly short to make going to Hell worth it for anything--if you just wait and die, you'll get eternal paradise in Heaven.

One question, though--does the devil only make deals with people who have unblemished souls? I mean, why bother taking a soul from a scoundrel if you know he's going to Hell anyway?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be damned if I were able to convince Ms Dawson and Ms Q to have a threesome based on my charm rather than on diabolic intervention.
If this were the case, then why sell any souls at all? Just go out and get your threesome! (Take pictures. Not of you )

Last edited by RadicalPi; 12-10-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Well, according to this movie it's possible, in fact, the devil actually encouraged it,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082263/

We do see the devil rejecting the protagonist's initial offerings as tainted, 'I'll be getting them eventually, anyway. Bring me innocents,' although the devil is in a position to drive a hard bargain. Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by outlierrn; 12-10-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 PM

There is no right or wrong answer to this, as there is no real, substantial tradition of thought in which selling a soul (to the devil, or anyone else) is possible. Even amongst those who believe that both souls and the devil are real, those who seriously believe that the soul is a thing of a sort whose ownership can be sold are probably in a small minority; almost certainly, indeed, just people who are confused about the official dogmas of whatever religion they profess to follow. I am pretty sure that most believers in souls would ay that your soul is the essential you, and you cannot sell it any more than you could sell off, say, your love of chocolate, or your fear of heights, to someone else.

We are in the realms of fiction here. In the fictional story of Faust, and other stories that imitate it, and metaphors based upon it, souls can be sold to the devil. There is no indication that they might be sold to anyone else. Even then (since the story pays some rudimentary respect to traditional Christian ideas of the soul) the best interpretation to put upon the deal is not that Faust's soul somehow passes into the Devil's possession as soon as the deal as struck, but, rather, that a contract has been made that upon Faust's death, his soul will automatically go to hell and will not be considered for heaven. While it is conceivable that the devil (in a Manichean sort of universe) might be able to enforce such a contract, there is no way an ordinary human being could, so I don't really see how an ordinary person could be said to own another's soul, let alone be able to trade it. (Where would you keep these souls you had bought?)

But, anyway, the key point is that the buying and selling of souls is something that only goes on in universes that are pretty much openly acknowledged to be fictional, and if you want to create your own fictional universe where not just the buying of souls by the devil, but the trading of souls by people is possible, then you are quite free to do so. It is your story (or fantasy), so you get to make the rules.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM

I wonder what would happen if you were to try to sell the souls to God.

If you can, start with David Mitchell's soul.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
We've all heard numerous examples of people who sell their souls for moral reasons ("I'll sell my soul if you let my family live").
That is a figure of speech, and should not be taken to imply that the speaker actually believes that their soul can be offered for sale.

Quote:
And we've heard of people who beat the devil on some legal technicality even after agreeing to the sale.
We have heard stories in which that happens, stories which are intended to be taken, and almost always are taken, to be fictional. (You won't find it in the Bible, for instance, amongst the stories there that some people take to be true.)

Fiction writers set their own rules, and different writers can set different rules, as they please, for different stories.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Njtt, I said in the OP "based on the traditional beliefs that souls exist, that their ownership can be transferred, and that the devil exists and wants to acquire souls". Deals with the devil are a well-established genre of fiction. Work within the context.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalPi View Post
If this were the case, then why sell any souls at all? Just go out and get your threesome! (Take pictures. Not of you )
Unfortunately, I had to add the qualifier "if" to my hypothetical about charming those fine ladies into bed with me. In the real world, my charm has not caused this to happen (perhaps due to the complete lack of any opportunity to display such charm as I possess to either of them).
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Fear Itself, I was thinking of the repent angle as well.
I'm not sure what would happen if you're genuinely repentant later on, but if you go into the deal thinking, "Oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness later" or later comes, "I wish I didn't do that, but it sure was fun" that voids the forgiveness asking.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
If you repent and ask forgiveness, is it not in God's power to nullify the deal?
I'm thinking apparently not. In the majority of the "deal with the devil" stories I'm familiar with, the seller always expresses regret and repentance at some point. But it's never shown as being enough to overturn the deal.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In a world where you know there's such a thing as Heaven and Hell, why would anyone agree to that kind of deal? Yes, dying sucks, but if your family was good, they get to go to Heaven. And if they were bad, selling your soul just prolongs them going to Hell. Life just seems too utterly short to make going to Hell worth it for anything--if you just wait and die, you'll get eternal paradise in Heaven.
A good point. Because I've always said that even if I was theoretically willing to sell my soul to the devil in exchange for something I wanted, the actual appearance of the devil to consumate the deal would be enough to make me renege. The devil's appearance would prove to me that damnation was a real possibility and would cause me to not only abandon any plans I had for selling my soul but also to give up any sinful activities I was already engaged in. It's got to be tough for the devil - his attempts to lead people to damnation have probably saved plenty of people who might otherwise have been damned anyway.

Which is the point of my OP. I've figured out an angle where I get the benefit and somebody else pays the price.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-10-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
In your opinion, does my plan work?
No, but only because your initial purchase was invalid. You cannot really buy someone's soul while dressing it up as a comment on skepticism. Your victim would have to take it seriously, or at least do something more binding than laugh and say "Sure, give me the five bucks."

If you'd really bought your victim's soul then I'd say yes, you could trade it to the Devil for favours.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 AM

I'm not taking a stand on this issue, but I think you need to talk to Inigo Montoya.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Sith Mod

I think you're going to hell in that deal, regardless of the terms of your contract with the Devil, for one pretty simple fact: you're willing to condemn people to an eternity of constant suffering for your own personal gain. That's just about as evil an act as I can imagine.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:35 PM

The law is clear on this matter. If you legally obtain someone else's soul, you are free to do what you want with it. The trouble is that the devil is usually not interested in used souls. There are plenty of conservatives who have unused mint condition souls for sale. Zombies however love the fresh unused brains of liberals.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM

But would Satan actually want to make the deal with you Little Nemo? I mean, assuming I genuinely sell you my soul I'm assuming that because I sold my soul to anyone, therefore not giving my soul to God, I'm automatically damned and my soul reverts to Satan.

Why would he trade with you, he's already getting it?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm sure you could do it with a power of attorney, although I have to say I'm still fuzzy on the attorney/Satan distinction.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But would Satan actually want to make the deal with you Little Nemo? I mean, assuming I genuinely sell you my soul I'm assuming that because I sold my soul to anyone, therefore not giving my soul to God, I'm automatically damned and my soul reverts to Satan.

Why would he trade with you, he's already getting it?
According to tradition, the devil seems to have a pretty endless appetite for souls. My guess is he likes to buy them because that seals the deal - he doesn't have to worry about a last minute repentance saving a sinful soul that he had been counting on for decades.

Not sure what the theological implications are of soul transferral. If somebody sells me their soul, do their actions still have an impact on it? Do their ongoing sins and virtues still effect their soul's fate in the afterlife? Or is the soul locked into the state it was in at the point of sale? If the latter, then the devil will certainly be willing to deal with me - the souls I hold cannot be corrupted through normal means so I represent the only opportunity he has for obtaining them.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
My guess is he likes to buy them because that seals the deal - he doesn't have to worry about a last minute repentance saving a sinful soul that he had been counting on for decades.
Not according to Christian beliefs. Luke 23:39-43:

Quote:
39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
No matter what kind of life is led, no matter what "deal" is made with Satan, if the person truly converts at the last second, Satan has lost.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onimous View Post
No matter what kind of life is led, no matter what "deal" is made with Satan, if the person truly converts at the last second, Satan has lost.
Almost. There is one unforgivable sin:
Quote:
Mark 3:28-29

"Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

Last edited by Fear Itself; 12-11-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what would happen if you're genuinely repentant later on, but if you go into the deal thinking, "Oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness later" or later comes, "I wish I didn't do that, but it sure was fun" that voids the forgiveness asking.
If we can do a religion pastiche here... the Talmud explicitly says that saying "I will sin and repent" pretty much makes said repentance worthless. But we don't have a devil figure like Christianity does, let alone soul-selling. For the triad we'll have to work some Islamc theology in there somewhere.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onimous View Post
But no mention is made in Luke that the criminal had sold his soul to Satan. He presumedly was still in possession of his soul and repentence was therefore still an option open to him.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 PM

In principle, I think your plan *could* work. But the devil, as always, is in the details. You've stipulated that selling the souls of others for a genuinely immoral end could damn your own soul. Selling the souls of others for your threesome raises the specter of rape - what if Satan fulfills the bargaining by so manipulating the minds of the ladies Dawson and Q that they cannot really consent. And rape is certainly a damnable offense.

A smarter Faustian-bargain-by-proxy would be on exchange for the Devil gifting you with sufficient sex appeal to make a threesome very appealing to the ladies in question (though still resistable) and an opportunity to bring your charm to bear. Then there's no impairment of free will, no rape issue, and you're free and clear.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

I would definitely have my attornies look over the paperwork before signing.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
I would definitely have my attornies look over the paperwork before signing.
Oh, that'll work out well for you. Whose payroll do you think they're on?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 AM

From what I understand, you only actually give up ownership of your soul when you die. You need it to live, so it's not like it goes to the buyer right away.

For Satan, this is no problem. He's practically immortal, and so will outlive anyone. This is a problem for you, unless you intend to kill to actually get the soul. Of course, to do that, you have to actually have a method of collection, like some magick or something.

Plus, I'm not certain that, when the devil gets ownership of your soul, he doesn't automatically get ownership of all the other souls you have acquired. Your soul is literally you, so it's what owns the other soul. So just like a slaveowner owns everything his slaves own, he owns those souls. And if you both committed murder and performed the required blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to get your soul-taking powers, he already is assured of you soul.

But even if you assume that he does not, getting two souls instead of all the ones you currently have isn't the best deal. He might be better off just making sure you don't repent.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Oh, that'll work out well for you. Whose payroll do you think they're on?
See that's the great thing. They may be agents of evil but they're on my payroll. And while agents of good might undermine me for the cause of the greater good, agents of evil have no problem in selling out the cause of evil for their own self-interest.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
From what I understand, you only actually give up ownership of your soul when you die. You need it to live, so it's not like it goes to the buyer right away.

For Satan, this is no problem. He's practically immortal, and so will outlive anyone. This is a problem for you, unless you intend to kill to actually get the soul. Of course, to do that, you have to actually have a method of collection, like some magick or something.

Plus, I'm not certain that, when the devil gets ownership of your soul, he doesn't automatically get ownership of all the other souls you have acquired. Your soul is literally you, so it's what owns the other soul. So just like a slaveowner owns everything his slaves own, he owns those souls. And if you both committed murder and performed the required blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to get your soul-taking powers, he already is assured of you soul.

But even if you assume that he does not, getting two souls instead of all the ones you currently have isn't the best deal. He might be better off just making sure you don't repent.
I could make this work in my favor. From what you're describing my ownership works like a lien. And it's tied in to my lifetime and the lifetimes of the souls' owners. So the devil needs to deal with me in an expeditious manner or the whole deal will start to fall apart as the participants die off. The worst case scenario for the devil is I die will holding all the liens and, having never made any deals with the devil myself, I bring my whole collection of souls with me to heaven.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I believe there is precedent for this. In the case of Simpson vs. The Devil, it was alleged that Mr. Simpson had sold his soul to the devil. However, it was later shown that since he had given his soul away (to his wife, hereafter known as "Marge") that he could not show proper ownership of said "soul" and therefore did not have the rights to sell it.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I could make this work in my favor. From what you're describing my ownership works like a lien. And it's tied in to my lifetime and the lifetimes of the souls' owners. So the devil needs to deal with me in an expeditious manner or the whole deal will start to fall apart as the participants die off. The worst case scenario for the devil is I die will holding all the liens and, having never made any deals with the devil myself, I bring my whole collection of souls with me to heaven.
Or you could simply consume the souls of others to prolong your own life. With a sufficient supply of souls, you could essentially live forever. With practical immortality, you would have the time to perfect the skills you'd need to get whatever you want!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about that. Where's the evidence that souls equate to life? After all, we've established they can be transferred away without causing the original owner's death.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Define 'soul'.
Define 'Devil'.
Define 'Can'.
Define 'you'.
Define sell'.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that. Where's the evidence that souls equate to life? After all, we've established they can be transferred away without causing the original owner's death.
Well, you know how it is. You've got a bunch of souls, and you decide to see what they taste like, and it turns out they're really, really delicious. A few millennia later the internet comes along and you start posting on message boards.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Is it true they taste like chicken?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Define 'soul'.
Define 'Devil'.
Define 'Can'.
Define 'you'.
Define sell'.
I'm not really clear on this "define" concept you've mentioned.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm just going by what Skald said once. He was sorely lacking in this thread, so I tried to make up for it.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:

Which is the point of my OP. I've figured out an angle where I get the benefit and somebody else pays the price.
Which is exactly the type of behavior that would result in your soul being damned to hell. Presuming that Hell exists, and that its purpose is to punish the souls of the wicked, you would be damned because your plan shows that you are an exceptionally uncaring person. Based on the parameters of your scenario, the devil might take you up on your deal, but since you acted evilly your soul would end up in Hell anyway. Heaven isn't for people who benefit from the suffering of others. Hell is.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 AM

Besides, there are easier ways to profit off of owning souls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Souls

Oh and did you steal this idea from the Simpsons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Sells_His_Soul

Last edited by SecretaryofEvil; 12-14-2010 at 01:50 AM..
Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
Which is exactly the type of behavior that would result in your soul being damned to hell. Presuming that Hell exists, and that its purpose is to punish the souls of the wicked, you would be damned because your plan shows that you are an exceptionally uncaring person. Based on the parameters of your scenario, the devil might take you up on your deal, but since you acted evilly your soul would end up in Hell anyway. Heaven isn't for people who benefit from the suffering of others. Hell is.
According to all the Chick tracts I've read, all you need to do is to accept Jesus in your heart and to make an half-assed attempt to convert someone to Christianity and, hey presto, you're getting in to heaven. So go ahead and sell someone else's soul, but don't forget to repent on your deathbed.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uosdwis R. Dewoh View Post
According to all the Chick tracts I've read, all you need to do is to accept Jesus in your heart and to make an half-assed attempt to convert someone to Christianity and, hey presto, you're getting in to heaven. So go ahead and sell someone else's soul, but don't forget to repent on your deathbed.
No, that's taking a risk. You might get hit by a truck and killed before having a chance to repent. Be safe and make repentance part of your daily routine. Before going to bed you should repent of any sins you committed that day, accept Jesus into your heart, floss, and then get a good night's sleep. You'll want to be well rested for tomorrow's new sins.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
Oh and did you steal this idea from the Simpsons?
Isn't that always the way? You think you've come up with an original idea and the Simpsons already did it.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Accept no substitutes

http://marineparade.net/wewantyoursoul/
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
One question, though--does the devil only make deals with people who have unblemished souls? I mean, why bother taking a soul from a scoundrel if you know he's going to Hell anyway?
Maybe different souls have different values and different wishes/fantasies/whatever have different prices?

"I want to fuck Rosario Dawson!"
"Eh... you're going to Hell anyway, buddy. I think I'll just wait you out."
"Wait wait wait! C'mon, there's always a chance that I'll become righteous! Work with me, Satan. Christina Ricci?"
"Look, either make a serious offer or I'm out of here."
"Twenty-year old Sandra Bernhard?"
"... done."

But it doesn't matter, because those of us who've seen Bedazzled know that our souls aren't ours to sell. So you can get whatever wishes you want and turn it in later for a refund! Jackpot!