The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Guys: What pocket do you put your wallet in?
Left rear pants pocket 70 14.99%
Right rear pants pocket 158 33.83%
Left front pants pocket 78 16.70%
Right front pants pocket 106 22.70%
Left outside coat pocket 6 1.28%
Right outside coat pocket 4 0.86%
Left inside coat pocket 13 2.78%
Right inside coat pocket 4 0.86%
I carry my wallet in a pocket you didn't list 3 0.64%
I don't carry my wallet in any pocket 9 1.93%
I don't carry a wallet 12 2.57%
You forgot... 4 0.86%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Guys: What pocket do you put your wallet in?

Inspired by Ceil's column on the proper pocket for wallet keeping, I am curious what is the most popular wallet pocket, historical precedent nowithstanding.

I have always kept my wallet in my right rear pants pocket, and was surprised that Cecil said the left rear was the tradional wallet pocket.

What are your pocket preferences, wallet-wise?

PTF
Advertisements  
Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Right front since high school, 37 years ago.

I have never lost a wallet or been pick pocketed.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I used to keep it in my right rear pocket. I learned that the 'proper' place to keep it was left rear back in high school when I got a chain wallet. All the wallets had the chain coming off the left side of the wallet. If I put it my pocket backwards, I'd be sitting on the snaps and then it wouldn't make those cool worn out spots on the pocket.

Anyways. Now I keep it in my right front. I started doing that when I got a stick shift car. A combination of moving my right foot on and off the accelerator and whatever pair of pants I had at the time caused my wallet to work it's way into a really uncomfortable position fairly quickly and I had to keep adjusting it. Now I just prefer it there.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM

In fall/winter, when just out and about, I put it in my right outside coat pocket. When wearing a suit, inner breast pocket. When not wearing a coat, or in heavy pedestrian areas where pickpocketing might be an issue, I put it in my front right pants pocket. I almost never carry it in my rear pocket...but will on occasion (if I'm wearing shorts with particularly shallow front pockets or something). I can't stand sitting on it, though, which is why it's almost always in the front or my jacket.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM

I used to carry it in my rear left pocket but I realized that I was much more comfortable sitting without a lump of wallet on my ass. So it now rides in my coat or in my front pocket if I'm coatless. At work, it sometimes stays in the glove box of my (locked) car.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Don't carry a wallet anymore. I could never find a pocket comfortable enough, so I just carry my money in my right front pocket and my cards in my right back pocket. Even then if I'm driving I have to adjust them (the cards).
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson View Post
Don't carry a wallet anymore. I could never find a pocket comfortable enough, so I just carry my money in my right front pocket and my cards in my right back pocket. Even then if I'm driving I have to adjust them (the cards).
I also don't carry a wallet. Money, keys, and transit cards (in a little sleeve-thing) in front-left; CCs/IDs/etc (bound with a rubber band) and cell phone in front-right.

For those who put stuff in their back pocket(s): Isn't it uncomfortable to sit down?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

About ten years ago, my chiropractor pulled my walled out of my back pocket and glared at me. Told me to never put it in a back pocket ever again.

Fearing for my life, I have complied. Only joking of course, but this guy knew some real-life Vulcan Death Grip spots on the body and could very easily put a person into a world of pain with little more than fingertip pressure.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Went to the chiropractor because my back was hurting. He said it was because I was sitting on my wallet, it was too thick. Then he said, "I'll help you get that wallet a lot thinner".
Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I used to carry my wallet in a back pocket and I had joint pains. On the advice of a co-worker, I switched to a front pocket and the pains stopped.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Right rear. It's just natural. But my roll is always left front -- big bills on the outside. Didn't anyone see Donnie Brasco?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Left front pants pocket. I'm left-handed. Are most people who put it in the left pocket left-handed?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I hate to be a pole nit-picker, but I think it might have been better to ditch "left-right" in favor of handedness. Or maybe not -- for all I know that's not a factor for most people.

Anyway, I'm right handed and I keep my wallet in my back left pocket. I'm apparently in the minority, but I think this makes more sense than keeping it on the same side as my dominant hand. As Cecil's column implies, it's easier to retrieve one's wallet from your pocket than to manipulate the bills and cards therein. Grab with the left, pay with the right.

Of course, the real answer is that the best way to do it is the way you've always done it.

Last edited by VarlosZ; 03-11-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 AM

Right front. It's always been my understanding that keeping it in your back pocket is bad for your back, as others have mentioned.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 AM

Left front. I switched from rear (don't remember left or right) 45 years ago when suit salesman blamed wallet for peculiar appearance of suit! Stuck with front for 45 years since it seems much less vulnerable to pickpockets or accidental loss.

I'm also curious about correlation with handedness. I was switched to the right as a youngster, and do a few things as a left-hander would, though my left hand is quite clumsy.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:12 AM

I'm a girl, but mine sits in my left rear pocket.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 AM

Left front. Keys, coins, train pass etc go in the right front. (I'm right-handed, and as others have said, it's easier to pull out the wallet with your "wrong" hand and then retrieve stuff with your favoured hand.)

I've never understood why people put their wallet in their back pocket. For one thing it's easier to pickpocket, for another it means sitting on your enormous wad of cash. Front pockets seem so much more secure.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
I've never understood why people put their wallet in their back pocket. For one thing it's easier to pickpocket, for another it means sitting on your enormous wad of cash. Front pockets seem so much more secure.
Wallet in the front would interfere with where I bend, and is much more difficult to remove when in the driver's seat, such as a drive-through restaurant or bank. I have carried mine in the back for over forty years, and never been pickpocketed, so I conclude the risk is low. I do remove it when driving long distances; otherwise, I don't notice it when sitting.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Wallet in the front would interfere with where I bend, and is much more difficult to remove when in the driver's seat, such as a drive-through restaurant or bank. I have carried mine in the back for over forty years, and never been pickpocketed, so I conclude the risk is low. I do remove it when driving long distances; otherwise, I don't notice it when sitting.
I agree that it can be hard to retrieve while sitting down, but I very rarely need to do that. I've never even seen a drive-through bank, and I think I've been to a drive-through restaurant about three times in my life! If you live somewhere where these things are common, I can see it might get annoying, but the drive-through culture hasn't really taken off in the UK.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Right rear pocket. I've always done it this way:
Left Front Pocket: cash, phone
Right Front Pocket: keys, and change in the little subpocket (I only buy shorts and pants that have that little pocket, if I can)
Right Rear: Wallet.

Yeah, I know, it's easy to pickpocket, but I'm rarely in places that pickpocketers frequent, and when I am, I rearrange stuff so that it's not so available. I also keep my wallet very thing- one credit card, ID, insurance cards, that sort of thing- as I said, I keep my cash in my left front. I don't even use a trifold wallet- I use a business card holder, so my back never bothers me.

Those of you who keep your wallet in a front pocket- where do you keep your phone?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Duke of Bilgewater
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
<snip>

. . .for another it means sitting on your enormous wad of cash.

</snip>
Not that I keep my wallet in a back pocket, but this isn't a problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
<snip>

Those of you who keep your wallet in a front pocket- where do you keep your phone?

</snip>
Depending on what I'm wearing, in my shirt pocket or in my other front pocket.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 AM

Almost always RR

I almost always carry my wallet in my right rear pocket and end up tapping there from time to time for security. However, I switch to the right front when walking the mean streets of the really big city or within a big crowd.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Money clip w/ credit cards. Will avoid carrying it in anything but coat or briefcase. I will remove the clip, carry the money and an essential credit/debit card in my left front pant pocket if I am out and about w/out a coat or briefcase.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Wallet in my front right pocket, Phone in my front right pocket, keys and change in my front left pocket.

My phone (an iPhone) is thinner, more breakable, more valuable and accessed more often than my wallet, so I put it in my front right. I used to put my keys in my back right pocket, until they tore a hole in a pair of jeans and fell out, so now I put them in my front left (along with my change, which I don't want to scratch my phone). That leaves the back pockets for my wallet - which I try to keep as thin as possible (I don't carry cards I don't need on a regular basis, and I hate walking around with large amounts of cash. I grew up with hyperinflation, and to me, cash that's out of the bank is cash that's losing value).
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Left rear. Keys and knife in right front, cell phone in left front. I have no ass, so sitting on it isn't a problem, although I do remove it for long drives.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Right front.

When I was about 15ish Grandpa saw that I had mine in my back right pocket. He proceeded to tell me a little "secret" he learned back in the Philippines: If you keep your wallet in one of your front pockets, pickpockets won't try to steal it because they don't want to risk touching your dick.

Funny guy, Grandpa was.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Wallet and cash (separate) in left front, usually with keys. Phone in right front. I'm right handed.

Also, wallets should be small. Driver license, a couple credit cards, a couple business cards, and insurance card, and that's all you need. Carrying wads of receipts or other bits of paper is hoarding.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Right rear pants pocket, except when I'm traveling. Then I wear an around-the-neck wallet.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm a chick, but I don't carry a purse. My wallet is in my right rear pocket.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Left front jacket pocket.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Door-2-Door Wikipedia Salesman
Charter Member

Right-rear pocket with a chain that runs to the second belt-loop on the front-right.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Did the right rear thing for years then found the left rear felt more natural.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Left front pants pocket. I'm left-handed. Are most people who put it in the left pocket left-handed?
I'm right-handed but keep my wallet in my left front pocket. Keys go in the right pocket, since I go for my keys far more often than my wallet during the day.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM

For several years now I have carried a bag rather than a wallet. When I carried a (big fat) wallet it was in my right rear back pocket. And in other pockets I was carrying two sets of keys, pens, gum, tissues and other assorted crap. Now it's all in a bag.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Wallet: left, rear pocket. As VarlosZ said, take it out with the left, use the right hand to pull out cash/card. I take it out when I'm driving, at work, at home, etc, though. It's basically back there while I'm on the move.

Phone: left, front pocket. Even though I'm right-handed, I use my left thumb for most of my dialing/texting.

Keys: right, front pocket. Just because, I guess.

Anything else (change, chapstick, etc): share the left, front pocket with my phone.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Wallet goes in the left rear pocket, as Karana intended.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Right Hand of the Master

Left rear, generally, and that's how I voted. But when I'm travelling or in some area where I'm worried about pickpockets, I put it in left front.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernWinterbottom View Post
For several years now I have carried a bag rather than a wallet.
I should have included a man purse option, I suspect that is what the people meant who chose "I don't put my wallet in any pocket."
Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I should have included a man purse option, I suspect that is what the people meant who chose "I don't put my wallet in any pocket."
It's a European carryall. . .
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Nah... it's a satchel.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 PM

I carry mine in my left front pants pocket. I spent over half an hour the other day looking for my wallet because I had decided to see if wearing it my back pocket was as uncomfortable as I remembered, and then forgot I had done so.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Left handed, and I don't want to sit on my wallet, so my vote seems obvious.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 PM

Left rear, for as long as I can remember. I'm right-handed.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 AM

Left rear pants pocket because that's the one that has the (supposedly) pickpocket-discouraging button.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 AM

Left or right rear, whichever has a button to close it. No button or button on both sides, then right side.

Last edited by california jobcase; 03-13-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

My husband wears his in the right rear pocket, sideways.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Wallet in the left front coat pocket; keys in the right.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Right now I do not carry a wallet, since I have no bank accounts. I keep my DL and one credit card in my right front pocket along with my chapstick and a couple of folded kleenex (swiss knife and 2 tums in 5th pocket of jeans or right front pocket of non-jeans) and my folding cash in my left front pocket.

Back when I had a wallet/checkbook, it went in the left inside pocket of my coat if wearing one, my left rear pocket if not wearing one, or in one of my front pockets if I was going to be in a public place with lots of people. Which pocket depending entirely on how often I thought I would be pulling it out and how much cash I had on me. If I was carrying a bit of cash, I'd the wallet in the front right pocket because I wouldn't have to pull it out to get at the cash or worry about cash falling out as I pulled out the wallet.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM

When wearing a jacket or coat, left breast inside pocket. Otherwise (and most often), right rear pants pocket. As a kid, I carried it in my front pocket, but was made fun of by some girls in 5th or 6th grade over it. Amazing how little things like that can cause big changes in habit.

I'm glad the time has passed on dress pants which have only one rear pocket, inevitably on the left side... I've had to wear those in the past and being forced to carry/sit a wallet on the side that I'm not accustomed to is very uncomfortable.

Never understood the argument that right-hand = left rear pocket for wallets; I'd prefer to pull out and manipulate the wallet with my dominant hand, thus the right rear pocket or left breast pocket; it's not a big deal to switch the wallet to the left hand later if I want to manipulate cards or cash with the right hand as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Wallet in left rear, handkerchief in right rear, keys in left front, change and knife in right front. Done it that way for as long as I can remember.