Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Kate Bush NEWS! (and another example of her being way ahead of her time)

A new album is coming soon, but before that, THIS!

Quote:
"Kate Bush releases an unusual new album “Director’s Cut” on May 16 on her own label Fish People, in conjunction with EMI.

On “Directors Cut” Kate revisits a selection of tracks from her albums “The Sensual World” and “The Red Shoes”, a process that presents a fascinating portrait of an artist in a constant state of evolution. She has re-recorded some elements whilst keeping the best musical performances of each song – making it something of a director’s cut but in sound, not vision.

A new version of “Deeper Understanding” will be released as a single in April. Although written some twenty years ago, the song may be more relevant today than ever…

Kate is currently working on new material although no release date has been set for this.
"Deeper Understanding" is the perfect single to release first. It was WAAAY ahead of it's time. A slightly science-fictiony story, it's from the point of view of someone who is obsessed with computers, and buys a creepy program that consumes them.

Keep in mind that it was released in 1989, BEFORE the World Wide Web even existed!

It starts out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeper Understanding
"As the people here grow colder
I turn to my computer
And spend my evenings with it like a friend"
Later, as the program consumes them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeper Understanding
"Well I've never felt such pleasure
Nothing else seemed to matter
I neglected my bodily needs

I did not eat, I did not sleep
The intensity increasing
'Til my family found me and intervened

But I was lonely, I was lost
Without my little black box"
Here are the full lyrics, also included in that YouTube link above.

I can't wait to hear the new version, but I do hope she keeps the Trio Bulgarka. They're so perfect in the original version. It sounds like she will.

Last edited by Equipoise; 03-12-2011 at 08:55 PM.
  #2  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Here's a good article that was in the Guardian about the work.
  #3  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM
whereismymind whereismymind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: tennessee, usa
Posts: 42
awesome.......I like you.
  #4  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 AM
multimediac17 multimediac17 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,106
I'm so excited for this that I may vomit. A new album (kinda), plus remasters of The Sensual World and The Red Shoes, plus the promise of The Dreaming and Hounds Of Love also to be remastered and released later in the year... after six years of near-complete silence this is all too much. I need a lie down.

And the single she's releasing from it is the one that I always thought deserved to be a single the first time around. Amazing.
  #5  
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Yay, replies! I like both of you!

The remaster of The Dreaming is the remaster that excites me most. It's not only my favorite album by Kate, it's my favorite album by anybody, ever. It's my Desert Island Album. If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, it's so layered and dense and full of so many ideas and colors and voices and original musical thoughts that it would keep me entertained. I've heard it hundreds of times and I can still hear new things when I listen to me. How much more will a remaster reveal? I may faint too.

I'm surprised she didn't choose to revisit some of the songs on her first two albums. As that article says, she had no control over the producton and while I do love the albums, it would be fascinating to hear a more modern take on some of the songs.
  #6  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:38 PM
suranyi suranyi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 7,432
Wow, that's amazing. Can't wait to hear it!
  #7  
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,746
Remaster? Oh, please, please, PLEASE make new mixes, ideally surround-sound ones!

"Remastering" is mostly bullshit - taking the stereo mix-down master and listening to it and producing a better digital master tape. That can produce five, maybe ten per cent improvement.

But remixing could be amazing. Most of the flaws of a recording are produced during the mix-down from the multi-track. If you have a chance to hear the isolated tracks, most sound great, or can be made to sound great with a subtle amount of noise reduction and other processing. For instance, the Fairlight was an astonishing breakthrough. But it was 8 bit digital recording. Seriously, it was in the same class as an Amiga or Atari computer, and every PC and Mac blows it away in sound quality. Some of Kate's best work is marred by this "wash" of aliasing noise from the Fairlight sampling process.* If the original master tapes were captured into a DAW like Protools, the Fairlight samples could be replaced by better ones.

The Dreaming and Hounds of Love with the audio quality of Aerial? This could be an improvement in audio quality like The Beatles Love.


* You can hear it most readily on the title song on The Dreaming on that Fairlight ORCH5 patch.

Last edited by gaffa; 03-13-2011 at 06:25 PM.
  #8  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
DaveRaver DaveRaver is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Great South Bay
Posts: 703
The Trio Bulgarka must be rather elderly now if they're still around.
  #9  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
multimediac17 multimediac17 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
The remaster of The Dreaming is the remaster that excites me most. It's not only my favorite album by Kate, it's my favorite album by anybody, ever. It's my Desert Island Album. If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, it's so layered and dense and full of so many ideas and colors and voices and original musical thoughts that it would keep me entertained. I've heard it hundreds of times and I can still hear new things when I listen to me. How much more will a remaster reveal? I may faint too.
Replace The Dreaming with Hounds Of Love and I could have written that paragraph! The Dreaming is in my top five of all time too, add in The Sensual World and that'd probably be my favourite trio of consecutive albums by any artist, ever.
  #10  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Hunter Hawk Hunter Hawk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
"Deeper Understanding" is the perfect single to release first. It was WAAAY ahead of it's time. A slightly science-fictiony story, it's from the point of view of someone who is obsessed with computers, and buys a creepy program that consumes them.

Keep in mind that it was released in 1989, BEFORE the World Wide Web even existed!
People didn't get obsessed with computers prior to the World Wide Web? Hunh. I did not know that.
  #11  
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hawk View Post
People didn't get obsessed with computers prior to the World Wide Web? Hunh. I did not know that.
The vast mass of the public didn't get obsessed with computers prior to the World Wide Web. In 1989 the vast majority of the American public didn't even have e-mail.

For instance, I attended the 1991 World Science Fiction Convention in Chicago. There was a party exclusively for people who had e-mail addresses called the "@Party".

It was held in a single hotel room. One might consider the World SF convention to exceed the default level of geekiness of the general public, and out of 5,661 people there, there were few enough to fit into a single hotel room. Two years after the release of Deeper Understanding.

Yes, the song was prescient.
  #12  
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Hunter Hawk Hunter Hawk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I attended the 1991 World Science Fiction Convention in Chicago. There was a party exclusively for people who had e-mail addresses called the "@Party".

It was held in a single hotel room. One might consider the World SF convention to exceed the default level of geekiness of the general public, and out of 5,661 people there, there were few enough to fit into a single hotel room.
I'm sure it was totally because there were that few people who had email addresses and totally not because it was a frickin' lame idea for a party. I mean, email had been around for, what, 20 years by that time? And BBSes had been around for 15 or so?

Quote:
Yes, the song was prescient.
The "antisocial nerd geeking out over <whatever technology is available at the time>" has been a theme for at least the past few hundred years.
  #13  
Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Jesus, you're in a bitchy mood. Go shit in somebody else's thread.
  #14  
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 AM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hawk View Post
I'm sure it was totally because there were that few people who had email addresses and totally not because it was a frickin' lame idea for a party. I mean, email had been around for, what, 20 years by that time? And BBSes had been around for 15 or so?
I know. When I first got on the Net, it was via world.std.com, then later via CBBS, Randy Suess and Ward Christensen's board, arguably the first BBS. I attended CBBS parties. I have some idea about nerd parties.

You are welcome to your opinion of whether the idea for the party was lame, but I believe it is biased because you have grown up in a world where having an e-mail address is the most mundane thing imaginable. At ChiCon V, it was a very cool thing indeed. I met ESR and Clifford Stoll there when I dropped in.

Quote:
The "antisocial nerd geeking out over <whatever technology is available at the time>" has been a theme for at least the past few hundred years.
You're moving the goalposts. The point is not if a particular behavior existed at all, but if it was well known enough for Kate Bush to have written a song about it. You are welcome to provide an example of another song about someone obsessing about a computer that was written before Deeper Understanding.

Last edited by gaffa; 03-14-2011 at 12:05 AM.
  #15  
Old 03-14-2011, 12:12 AM
multimediac17 multimediac17 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,106
On a related note, is anyone else a fan of what I sort of consider to be a sequel/sister song to 'Deeper Understanding', 'My Computer' from Prince's 1996 album Emancipation? It has similar themes to 'Deeper Understanding' and even features Kate on backing vocals.
  #16  
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Hunter Hawk Hunter Hawk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
You are welcome to your opinion of whether the idea for the party was lame, but I believe it is biased because you have grown up in a world where having an e-mail address is the most mundane thing imaginable.
Alternatively, I could be biased because I'd already been using email for almost a decade by that point.


Quote:
You're moving the goalposts. The point is not if a particular behavior existed at all, but if it was well known enough for Kate Bush to have written a song about it.
Bwuh? Christ, Neuromancer was published in 1984. By 1989, cyberpunk was already on the downslope.

Quote:
You are welcome to provide an example of another song about someone obsessing about a computer that was written before Deeper Understanding.
Robert Calvert wrote a full musical called The Kid from Silicon Gulch in 1981.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise
Jesus, you're in a bitchy mood. Go shit in somebody else's thread.
Don't claim that things are WAAAY ahead of their time when they aren't.
  #17  
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 AM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Hawk View Post
Robert Calvert wrote a full musical called The Kid from Silicon Gulch in 1981.
Wow, you had to dig for that one, a musical that nobody has even bothered to write a Wikipedia page about, described as "a detective story about computer hackers.", which doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject at hand. You may as well cite the Firesign Theater's I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus and the PDP-10 references.

The point is not if someone, somewhere had written something computer-related prior to Deeper Understanding, but a song about a person developing an obsessive relationship with their computer, a problem that has entered the cultural zeitgeist fairly recently.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017