Bob's Burgers

Anyone watching this crap? (or as Stewie would say, deuce)

Who is it supposed to appeal to? The chinless of the world?

The mother seems to have the New York Jewish accent, but no one else in the family does, so where is this supposed to take place?

I’ve watched it for its entire run now, and I don’t get it at all. It’s not funny, it doesn’t appeal to any group in particular (maybe lesbians, since Tina could be a lesbian… she has a man’s voice and looks like Scooby-Do’s Velma… with no chin.

Can anyone out there who likes it explain to me what I’m missing? I don’t see any redeeming part of the show. There doesn’t seem to be a hidden message they are trying to get across, they aren’t sticking it to corporate america… It’s just a stupid cartoon that gets worse every week.

Thanks for any help.

Bob’s Burgers is the best thing on TV in years.

Well, that doesn’t help at all.

And if you feel like that, where in the hell have you been? (The moon is the only right answer.)

Agreed. I find it consistently hilarious. So they’re trying to appeal to me.

seriously, or am I being whooshed?

There’s just nothing there.

I think it is just you. I love the way the little girl is more adult than any of them, but borderline psychopathic. The teen is the weirdest person by far, even moreso than Chris on Family Guy. She’s just plain awkward. The mom’s insane and the dad is just trying to get along, except for that time he fell in love with Moolissa.

I really do find the show hilarious.

Wow. I really think I have a great sense of humor, but this show escapes me. I’d rather watch the Nuremburg trials.

I’m with you.

We love it at the singular household, although it took a couple episodes. Benjamin is a wonderful voice talent (as Bob), and the one in the hat (haven’t remembered character nemes yet) absolutely kills us. She is an unexpected treasure as a voice talent, coupled with a perfect character. I can’t convert you - I can only say I love it.

For me, I think a lot of the best humor comes from the little girl taking things in a completely unexpected direction. You know she’s always going to do something a bit psycho, but you’re not sure what. The boy’s constant interjections are also funny. I think it’s just fantastically well written and the voice-acting is superb. I agree that the chinless character style is a little grating at first.

I’ll tell you what I also like: seeing a sitcom father figure who’s not a complete idiot. The dad has his comic foibles, but is generally the voice of reason, is actually competent at his job, and is a self-made businessman. It’s a breath of fresh air.

Also he has the best mustache since Magnum P.I.
ETA: I have a feeling that, like Napoleon Dynamite, this show will be a polarizer. People will love it or hate it. And that’s OK. As long as they don’t cancel it too soon.

Just because the Nuremburg Trials are funnier doesn’t mean that Bob’s Burgers isn’t funny. Just wanted to point that out.

I am ashamed to say that last weeks “Attempted Crepe” as the shop next door had me in tears. The show has grown on me with each episode in the same way home movies did.

I found the first couple of episodes uneven but promising - and I think it’s getting progressively better.

It’s certainly better than than any of the other recent Fox animation offerings, and much better than American “basically-what-the-other-focus-group-wanted-out-of-the Family-Guy-Pilot” Dad.

The younger daughter is Louise, the older one is Tina. Tina Louise.

I find Louise amusing but I can generally take the show or leave it. The mother just grates on my nerves. I do not find it hilarious but I’ll watch it to fill the time between the other shows.

You aren’t the first person to mention the voice talent. I haven’t noticed anything special. I’m not trying to be a pain in the ass. I’ll watch it on the web this week and listen to the voices, but to be honest, I have my doubts.

The drawing style is very off putting… the chinless faces… the elbows that bend with a rounded form instead of a normal looking straight edge that makes the inner elbow look like a “V” not a “U”. The hair on Bob’s arms. The hair and clothes on Tina, forcing the lesbian stereotype. the mother with the brooklyn jewish accent, I thought she was going to lead to some storylines, but the accent doesn’t lead anywhere. It’s just another quarky thing that has no rhyme or reason for being in the show. doesn’t hurt anything, but doesn’t add anything either.

The whole meatballs think made no sense and went over my humor threshhold.

I’m glad there are a few enjoying it, but I’m still mystified. If people who respond can tell me their age, sex, education level, marital status, or whatever they feel like sharing, I’d appreciate it. I haven’t smiled once during these shows.

Thank you! It’s not JUST me (although it’s pretty close)

If you don’t like it, you don’t like it. You’re not obligated to try to get it. It’s not trigonometry.

I only watched the pilot. I know pilots generally don’t accurately reflect how a show is going to turn out, but this one just had no redeeming qualities. It completely turned me off from watching more.

A question for those who like it: Is part of the humor that they troll the audience by deliberately making a show that just fucking sucks?

It could be that. Or it could be that those that enjoy the show genuinely find it funny.

It’s probably the latter though.

I have no idea why I like it, but add me to the crowd that ends up laughing at it even when I’m not really watching it.
I still think American Dad and Family Guy are far, far better, however.

And every time I hear the Dad’s voice all I can think of is Coach from Home Movies.