Because the Straight Dope tells me so - things learned from the Dope.

In a recent thread Dopers discussed how many shaves they get from a disposable razor. I was amazed that anyone got more than 3 or 4.

I just drag the dry razor across my dry face and jump in the shower. Many Dopers spoke of shaving while showering.

I gave it a go and Lordy, Lordy I get many more shaves per razor.

What have you learned from the Good Dope?

A tray of coffee grounds absorbs unpleasant odors from the house. I used it when my dog had a case of explosive poo all over the bedroom.

I considered reusing it and having my evil boss over for coffee but good sense prevailed…

You could have told him it was Kopi Luwak. :smiley:

That Tylenol is rough on your liver, especially when drinking. A poster here a few years ago posted about his irreversible liver damage because he was ignorant of this, and that post has always stayed with me. I stopped drinking years ago, but I did take analgesics at the time to combat the resulting headache. I don’t think I took Tylenol, but still, it’s worrisome. I finally convinced Mr. brown that this was a medical fact and not just my own invention, and he’s far more cautious about taking analgesics when drinking nowadays.

*Cecil loves me, this I know
For The Straight Dope tells me so
Fighting ignorance takes long
Get the right dope not the wrong

Yes, Cecil loves me!
Yes, Cecil loves me!
Yes, Cecil loves me!
The Straight Dope tells me so*

I think it was DiosaBelissima who taught me about brow powder - now sometimes when I want to look just a little better I throw some of that on and some mascara and I look a good 10% hotter.

It is directly due to you people that I have a gazillion pairs of shoes since this is where I learned about a discount site, 6pm.com.

I mean, I’d probably still have an obscene amount of shoes, but I would either have far fewer or have paid way WAY too much.

I heart shoes.

Still the best thing I ever learned here was that you can sing most of Emily Dickinson’s poems to the Gillgan’s Isle theme. Thanks Drain Bead!

That pineapples don’t grow on trees.

This blew my mind…

It’s even rarer–it’s Pupi Luwak. :smiley:

Not to use shampoo. I have been poo free for 6 months and my hair and scalp look and feel amazingly healthy.

The word schadenfreude.

and many more.

Similarly, confirmation that bananas don’t grow on trees.

Damn you. You owe me $100. Or saved me $100. One of those two. But I gots some good shoes on the way!

Well, true, apparently

But they are large and tree-like. However, I can’t believe how many people thought pineapples grow on trees. They grow on the ground! Weren’t you paying attention in fourth grade social studies when you went over the main exports of Hawaii! :wink:

It’s sherbet.

Not sherbert.

:eek:

Who taught you to shave, your mother?

Not sure what stands out for me, I’ve learnt a lot of interesting stuff about the little known facts of religion and history that challenge commonly held views about them. No examples are springing to mind though, soz.

I was told of a guy who was shaving in the shower using an old razor with a blade- he dropped it and gashed his cock.

No idea if it was an urban myth but I’m not tempting fate.

This looks like a promising thread, so I will attempt to contribute to give it some more gas.

General Questions has taught me so much about things I’ve never considered. I’ve even had practical engineering questions answered thanks to the Straight Dope, which has helped cement my place at my current job (where I am currently typing this post … oh such a vicious cycle!).

The Straight Dope is such a diverse reservoir of intellect that … well golly, I just think it’s swell.

Another vote for “Didn’t know that pineapples grow on the ground”.

Flamingos are pink because of the fish that they eat.