The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Is urinating outside a sign of a mental health problem?

I will try to keep this short. My dad is in his early 60s and most likely has Borderline personality disorder with a huge fear/hatred for government, bureaucracy, and "the Man" as well as anyone else who tries to control him or tell him what to do and combined with the intense anger and the belief that he is physically invulnerable. (Oh, the stories I could tell!) But recently a couple of my siblings and I have noticed a new "symptom" in that he will just go out in the backyard (his own), around the corner of a building, behind a car in a parking lot, etc. to urinate. He is the cheapest human being and initially we thought it was to save on the cost of water for flushing the toilet (he never does anyway), but it is becoming far more frequent and we are becoming a bit concerned about it.

So is outdoor urination (it isn't technically public as he does seem to conceal himself a bit) a sign for a new problem or degenerating mental health?
Advertisements  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Larry Mudd; 06-07-2011 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: stupid question
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Have you asked him why he does this? If so, how rational is his answer? That's a pretty interesting behavior and I too am quite curious how he excuses it. Peeing in the woods is one thing. Doing it all over an urban setting is something different altogether.

Last edited by lieu; 06-07-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Devil's advocate: if it *is* a sign of deteriorating mental health... what would/could you do about it? (One of the lovely hallmarks of personality disorders is that they make the person in question feel like they themselves are fine - perfect, in fact - and everyone around them is the problem.)

Any other changes? Loss of appetite, more/less sleeping, things like that?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM

If he's working in the garage or yard, and then wandering out back to pee, instead of going in the house, then I would say no biggie. I think my husband has something to pee in outside. Don't even get me started. Don't want to take the shoes off, then I have to wash my hands . . . .plenty of bs excuses.

If he's inside already, and goes all the way outside to pee, that might be an issue.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Maybe, maybe not

I had a brother that urinated inside and dumped it outside. All of that was to save flushing. He had a thing going with the water board to show he used no water. It saved no money because he was always billed the minimum which included hundreds of cubic feet of water anyway. But yes, he was in fact mentally ill.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:33 PM

If it is, than the majority of men are crazy. I would walk past the bathroom to go out to the back deck to piss. I figure: He has pissed outside his whole life, coupled with reaching an age of not caring as much about appearances and a bit of old man prostate stuff.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM

If it's a big change in behavior, maybe.

Otherwise, LOTS of men urinate outside, myself included. The dog and I have a territory marking rivalry.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Well, it's one thing if he only doing it on his property. To me, that is a "whatever". If he's doing it in parking lots and behind buildings that are not on his property, I think that's a crime - public urination.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM

He claims he "already pays enough taxes" when asked.

His hearing may be deteriorating as well. I believe that he is just being selective in what he wants to hear. My dad is in incredible physical shape and will live to 100 if he doesn't get himself killed in a traffic accident. But my mom just had her hip replaced and that didn't fix the whole problem but she is refusing to ever have any more surgery and is seemingly "giving up" trying to be active, so I am curious if this is partly his trying to cope with his partner literally stopping trying to be more active.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm not a cranky old man, so maybe there's something I'm missing, but how on earth is he making a connection between pissing and paying taxes? Like, "My taxes paid for this parking lot, so I'm gonna mark it as my territory!" kind of thinking?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Sounds like he's cranky about something in his life that he can't control, so he's doing something that makes him feel more in control. IANAPsychiatrist.

p.s. I smoke for similar reasons; it's possible he'll find something else he can go 'THERE! I can do it if I want to!' with and give up on the urinating.

Last edited by Taomist; 06-07-2011 at 04:08 PM..
Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM

I sure hope not...
Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Nah. I know way too many normal guys who do this.

Peeing indoors (not in a toilet, empty soda bottle, or other appropriate receptacle)... is another story. It's a serious problem here in apartment buildings (including my own unfortunately).

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 06-07-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
Nah. I know way too many normal guys who do this.

Peeing indoors (not in a toilet, empty soda bottle, or other appropriate receptacle)... is another story. It's a serious problem here in apartment buildings (including my own unfortunately).
I am confused and intrigued by your post. Can you elaborate? Does this mean dudes are peeing in hallways, or that they're collecting urine in bottles inside their apartments or something? As an apartment dweller of 20 years, I haven't encountered this so am very curious.

A bit of a hijack...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Are you sure he's in perfect physical shape, or is that what he's telling you? Could be his 'cure' for borderline incontinence, simply going whenever he has to because he can't wait to get to a bathroom.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I am confused and intrigued by your post. Can you elaborate? Does this mean dudes are peeing in hallways, or that they're collecting urine in bottles inside their apartments or something? As an apartment dweller of 20 years, I haven't encountered this so am very curious.
Well, I'm not rhubarbarin, but I've been in a condo building in a middle-class part of Chicago where the garbage room had a sign on the door warning residents not to urinate in the garbage room. I imagine some men believe that they're doing nothing wrong by urinating into (or near ) the nearest floor drain as it all goes to the sewers anyhow.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I can see pissing outside as an alternative to having to clean up the overspray in the bathroom. Not sure about the taxes though, perhaps he got pissed off one day looking at his waterbill. Based on your description of him hating authority and all refusing to use water to avoid giving the city a dime would be in line with that idea. Has he cut back on doing dishes or showering? If he has maybe he's just got a bug up his ass about the water utility, if it's just the pissing thing and he uses water normally elsewhere it could be something else.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:

A bit of a hijack...
They routinely pee in lobbies, hallways, and indoor trash receptacles. More of a problem when there is carpeting.

A lot of them are drunk, some of them are really crazy, some of them are just assholes who like to pee inside people's apartment buildings.

In the 6 1/2 years I've been in this building I've caught three of them in person (which I guess technically could get them in trouble for indecent exposure), and smelled/dealt with the urine of more. I always yell at them/call the cops, but I'm too small to do anything else, they run away fast and the cops never catch them. One man came out of the show at the theater a few shops down just to come into our entry area and walk carefully around all 4 walls, peeing all over the baseboards. Nice even coating. Real attention to detail. I followed him down the street making a scene but he just ran back into the theater and blended in with the crowd...

This isn't a problem everywhere?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Holy shit.

Ok, so I come from a culture where pissing outside for men is pretty standard. All the times I've traveled in India I see men peeing whereever. They just step off the bus, and to one side, or whip it out whenever they need to.

So I was going to come in here and say, maybe it's a cultural thing, until I saw it was a new thing, in which case I was going to say you should have him checked out.

But here, in the States? All you men would walk past your own bathroom to go outside and pee off the back deck? That is...disgusting. And I am glad my SO never does it.

I remember living downtown and being awoken around 3 am by a cop yelling at some asshole who decided to piss up against the side of our building; saying people lived here and paid rent. And I was happy. Good for him. I'm glad he did. Peeing randomly is...primitive.

Peeing in the backyard like a doggie! Good heavens.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM

I've caught my brother peeing in the kitchen sink a couple times.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM

At the risk of sounding like a total Josie Grossie....I have urinated in public a few times....only at night though, not in view of ANYONE and most importantly, while drunk. I don't think I'd ever do that sober (unless I were in the woods and there were no bathrooms).
Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Once, driving to Mammoth at night, I pulled into a gas station in Mojave. There was a lady (and I'm using this term loosely I guess) squatting and taking a shit in front of the gas station. A gas station with a huge restroom.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Devout Christian Louboutin

I'm going on memory here óbut it seems that a point was made in the book Sybil that her mentally ill mother did this. She'd go out in the middle of the night and piss and shit in neighbors' back yards. The analysis that I remember from the book was that she was literally telling the neighbors what she thought of them, "You're nothing. I piss in your yard."

Again, as I say, this mother was extremely ill; if you know the story, the abuse Sybil suffered was why she developed all the personalities. To cope.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Devout Christian Louboutin

Moving thread from MPSIMS to IMHO.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Visited a buddy recently with some other guy friends and he actually asked us to do it outside, on some weeds he was trying to kill. I did my manly part (he provided the beer.) Maybe the OP's dad is trying to get rid of a stubborn patch of weeds?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I've caught my brother peeing in the kitchen sink a couple times.
Well, he said he was going to dew the dishes.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Well, he said he was going to dew the dishes.
Don't even get me started about that. I asked him to do the dishes once and his reply was "do you mean 'do' as in 'wash'?"

Either there is something wrong with him or he's the laziest human being ever to draw breath.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
If it is, than the majority of men are crazy. I would walk past the bathroom to go out to the back deck to piss.
I've got news for you; most men do NOT do this.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
If it is, than the majority of men are crazy. I would walk past the bathroom to go out to the back deck to piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I've got news for you; most men do NOT do this.
What? I piss on sitchensis' deck all the time.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM

I dunno. On the other hand, <devil's advocate> most conversations about magically switching genders always involve women saying the 1st thing they'd do is go pee their names into the snow. </devil's advocate>

Robot, there's something wrong with him AND he's the laziest human to draw a breath. Why must it be one or the other?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
BANNED

I live in a rural area and we have a lot of get-togethers of friends and family around here. After dark, men and boys are pretty much expected to pee outdoors, so as to keep the bathrooms open for women, and people who need to do #2. No biggie around here.

Last edited by Submerged; 06-08-2011 at 04:54 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 PM

If it's necessary, that's one thing, if it's recreational, then there's something else going on. (IANAP) Talk to his doctor and see if there's more to it.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
I live in a rural area and we have a lot of get-togethers of friends and family around here. After dark, men and boys are pretty much expected to pee outdoors, so as to keep the bathrooms open for women, and people who need to do #2. No biggie around here.
Same here - it's routine in in rural NZ (and a lot of suburban NZ too).
Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
If it's necessary, that's one thing, if it's recreational, then there's something else going on. (IANAP) Talk to his doctor and see if there's more to it.
Also know a couple of guys who just prefer to go outdoors. Gazing at the stars, listening to the crickets, whatever. There is something to be said for not standing over a bowl of pee in a tiny airless room...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
Also know a couple of guys who just prefer to go outdoors. Gazing at the stars, listening to the crickets, whatever. There is something to be said for not standing over a bowl of pee in a tiny airless room...
Yet in movies, far few men are attacked by something horrible when they pee indoors.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:

A bit of a hijack...
I was looking at a condo in a building that had a laundry room as opposed to a washer and dryer in each unit.

Someone had crapped on the floor in the middle of the laundry room.

I did not make an offer.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 PM

If one is in private outdoor setting, it probably more a sign of mental health problems to have to run inside to pee in a porcelain bowl.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

I don't know. Depends on how your old man grew up and where? I mean Billy Carter was famous for pissing like the farmer he was, which was pretty much anywhere outside when he needed to go. I had friends like this when I grew up. Hell, if I need to really go, there's no where convenient and there's a decent semi hidden spot outdoors, I'll whip it out and whiz like a big dawg. It's pretty rare when that happens these days sans beer.

So, he might be crazy, and it might just be a case of "sticking it to the man" and pissing his rights back. Is he doing this when kids are around or just other adults that might get shocked?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerInNJ View Post
I was looking at a condo in a building that had a laundry room as opposed to a washer and dryer in each unit.

Someone had crapped on the floor in the middle of the laundry room.

I did not make an offer.
Wow. Maybe it was someone being foreclosed on...

I've lived in mid-priced, not-fabulous-but-nice-enough apartments for a long time, with shared laundry rooms, and have never dealt with human evacuations of any kind. Now the El platforms, those are a different story...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:49 AM

@ Taomist: exactly. somewhere/way he has been "done wrong" & now he's literally going...Piss on it
Old 06-09-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiate View Post
Same here - it's routine in in rural NZ (and a lot of suburban NZ too).
And urban NZ, especially in a direct line between a pub and, well, anywhere.

Best example was the mid-morning charmer who peed against the courthouse, while a whole bunch of us were waiting for jury selection on the other side of the window. One woman got up to tell him off and he gave her a very special one-finger salute.

Commonly at outdoor concerts, guys will form a pissing circle wherever the urge takes the majority, stadium, access gates, main roads...

I've only yelled at a couple of pissers (both males) when they made the effort to leave a neighbour's property to piss in my front garden (In one case while I was sitting on the porch watching!).

Last edited by maggenpye; 06-09-2011 at 02:14 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggenpye View Post
And urban NZ, especially in a direct line between a pub and, well, anywhere.

Best example was the mid-morning charmer who peed against the courthouse, while a whole bunch of us were waiting for jury selection on the other side of the window. One woman got up to tell him off and he gave her a very special one-finger salute.

Commonly at outdoor concerts, guys will form a pissing circle wherever the urge takes the majority, stadium, access gates, main roads...

I've only yelled at a couple of pissers (both males) when they made the effort to leave a neighbour's property to piss in my front garden (In one case while I was sitting on the porch watching!).
I remember one case a while bak in chch where some scarifies got in trouble after trying to piss thru an open window on the way home.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM

I think he's nuts. Hostile, too.

The most recent peeing in public episode I witnessed was when I was visiting someone in a mental facility. Waiting for the attendant to unlock the door to let me out, a resident( coming back after a day out) was standing on the other side of the door waiting to be let in. He just decided to whiz right there on the doorstep, and the attendant had a conniption fit, but - the guy was nuts, what are you gonna do?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
I remember one case a while bak in chch where some scarifies got in trouble after trying to piss thru an open window on the way home.
My dad has a pissing story.

He'd noticed that the same truck was parking across the road from their house every morning over a week. Not a little truck, a big articulated sixteen wheeler. While he could understand someone stopping each morning to appreciate the trees and flowerbeds of the park, the truck driver only stopped for a couple of minutes before taking off again.

This went on for several more weeks and dad noticed a stain appearing on the asphalt across the road. He realised that the guy was traveling down their side street and stopping to piss on the footpath by the park every morning. Chatting to neighbours confirmed this.

So he called the company number on the side of the truck and spoke to the owner who with great boredom said that they had a lot of complaints like this, and they'd tell they guy to stop. Again.

There was a gap of a few days and dad was working in the garden, chopping back some plants when the truck appeared again.

Sure enough, after half a minute, a stream of liquid hit the path and dad wandered across the road.

"Excuse me, did you know there was a public toilet around the corner?" He asked.

"Yeah? So?" The driver replied with great belligerency and a steady splashing.

"Everyone around here would appreciate it if-"

"You can fuck right off." The driver began with a final waggle and, leaving his bits dangling, he turned to my dad and swore a little longer with some suggestions of where the public toilet could be shoved and some cunt who got him in trouble by ringing his boss and he'd piss on that fucker - there was a pause.

"You've got a knife in your hand." The driver observed.

"Yeah? So?" Dad was very pleased that he could mirror the driver's earlier statement, it made him feel better.

"Why have you got that knife in your hand?" The driver asked, with a sudden attack of no swearing.

Dad did not feel the need to explain his Agapanthus control methods.

"Never you mind why I've got a knife. Why are you pissing on our street every morning when there's a public toilet around the corner?"

The driver tucked his bits back into his pants. "Are you threatening me?"

"I'm asking why you're pissing on our street every morning when there's a public toilet around the corner?" Dad replied evenly, smiling. For some reason he felt he had taken control of the situation.

"You've got a knife."

"Yes. Now, why are you pissing on our street every morning when there's a public toilet around the corner?"

"Fuck this!" The driver replied, scuttling for his cab and driving off at speed.

He never came back.

I have another story, but I'll wait and see if the thread keeps going.

Last edited by maggenpye; 06-09-2011 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 PM

I would be willing to bet your dad's psychiatric problems are worsening. Anything else changed? Does he seem suspicious or even paranoid?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:46 PM

My brother appears to have stopped urinating in the kitchen sink.

I just caught him using the bathroom sink.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
My brother appears to have stopped urinating in the kitchen sink.

I just caught him using the bathroom sink.
Progress!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Count me as one who uses the backyard at times. I'm an outdoors adventurer in my heart (and on weekends) and I'm proud to bring a little primitive back to my mechanized controlled life. We live in an area where water conservation is important and I'm not hurting the backyard.

So I save some water and get a little fresh air. On the other hand, I wouldn't want strangers coming up and doing it on my house or yard even if urine is sterile.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Urinating outside is a sign that you gotta pee and you are outside.