The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Dan Savage for Dummies

I have seen Dan Savage's name mentioned here before and thought he might be an author I'd like I was at Barnes and Noble and looked him up but they had none of his books in stock so I will be getting them online. Since I won't be able to flip through them I was hoping some of you who are familiar with him would offer your opinions of what his best books are, or if I should start in the order that they were written.

Can you also tell me a little about him and his writing? I love David Sedaris and Bob Smith, is Dan Savage a similar writer?

Thanks.

Hammy
Advertisements  
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Dan Savage is primarily known as a syndicated sex advice columnist. He is gay and has adopted a child with his partner. As far as I know all of his books are non-fiction dealing with various aspects of his life and/or collections of his columns.

His recent project, in response to suicides of gay teenagers, has been the "It Gets Better" series of commercials, articles, etc.

From that perspective, I'd recommend you read a few of his columns (available online in many places but i generally read them in the Onion's AV Club section. For the books, I'd pick one that the subject seems intersting versus reading in any order.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM

I love his columns but found his books intensely boring, sorry to say. If you care about the mundanities of lives then they might be interesting, but it was a mistake for me to pick them up.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Dan Savage is a sex and relationship advice columnist who produces a regular written column and audio podcast called "Savage Love". I am a fan of his but if you're not familiar with his work you should be warned that a lot of it is extremely explicit - he addresses everything from basic dating questions to the technical details of fisting.

I haven't read his books but based on his other writing if you like David Sedaris you'll probably like them. He's got one about the quest (Savage is gay) to adopt a child. Savage is also responsible for launching the It Gets Better project, aimed at helping gay teens survive bullying and family abuse, as well as the whole "santorum" thing which I'll let you Google (warning: icky).
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM

You can also read his column in The Reader, if they have it in your city. Not sure if they carry him on their website or not.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed Skipping Towards Gomorrah.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM

I read his column every week, but I've only read one of his books, Skipping Towards Gomorrah. I did really like it though. I would certainly pick up another one, I just haven't, yet.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
You can also read his column in The Reader, if they have it in your city. Not sure if they carry him on their website or not.
He's based in Seattle and his flagship paper is The Stranger, though he's syndicated in independant papers all over (including The Reader). I believe if you go to The Stranger's website, you can find archives of his column.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Yep, here's the Savage Love archive. Enjoy.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

His weekly podcasts are great. Check them out.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
He's based in Seattle and his flagship paper is The Stranger, though he's syndicated in independant papers all over (including The Reader). I believe if you go to The Stranger's website, you can find archives of his column.
Actually, I think he's also the editor of The Stranger (although apparently I can't go to the website while I'm at work).
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Actually, I think he's also the editor of The Stranger (although apparently I can't go to the website while I'm at work).
The Editor of The Stranger is one Christopher Frizzelle. Dan Savage is not on the masthead, ie, has no editorial role whatsoever.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

As I said, I can't get to the website while at work, but the Wikipedia article says that he was the editor from April 2001 until September 2007.

Actually, now I can get to the site. He's listed as editorial director.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 06-09-2011 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
As I said, I can't get to the website while at work, but the Wikipedia article says that he was the editor from April 2001 until September 2007.

Actually, now I can get to the site. He's listed as editorial director.
Um, okay, nevermind.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
The Editor of The Stranger is one Christopher Frizzelle.
That's just his Snoop Dogg name.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 PM

There seems to be two different Dan Savages. I've read two of his books (The Kid and The Commitment). I liked both those books. However, they seem nothing like his columns. His columns are very confrontational and explicit. His books are like, "So then Terry and I had breakfast, and Terry made me delete the next two sentences." There's nothing explicit, and while occasionally the books seem to present an agenda, they aren't nearly as in-your-face. I suspect this might be Terry's influence--maybe Dan is trying to respect Terry's privacy--but for whatever reason, the books seem very toned down, and therefore less entertaining than his columns.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarkChild View Post
There seems to be two different Dan Savages. I've read two of his books (The Kid and The Commitment). I liked both those books. However, they seem nothing like his columns. His columns are very confrontational and explicit. His books are like, "So then Terry and I had breakfast, and Terry made me delete the next two sentences." There's nothing explicit, and while occasionally the books seem to present an agenda, they aren't nearly as in-your-face. I suspect this might be Terry's influence--maybe Dan is trying to respect Terry's privacy--but for whatever reason, the books seem very toned down, and therefore less entertaining than his columns.

Just my 2 cents.
That's probably correct, since Skipping Toward Gomorrah, which ISN'T about his life with Terry and their son, is closer to the style of "Savage Love".
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
That's just his Snoop Dogg name.
I love this post.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM

+1 for reading his columns.
If you have a cell phone you can download the Savage Love app, and it archives a LOT of his columns, complete with clicky words relating to the post you just read in case one of them appeals to you and you want to find more on that subject.

I will certainly pick up Skipping to Gomorrah myself.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 PM

He was on a 'Live' episode of This American Life a few years back here in Seattle. He told a really great story about his own life. Well worth the 15 minutes to listen to it. It gives you a sense of what he is like outside of his sex column persona.

You can listen to it here (Act Four. My Other Dog's A German Shepherd):
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...rom-television
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarkChild View Post

Just my 2 cents.
I think there might even be a third Dan Savage, the one on his podcast. He's not nearly as snarky as he is in his column, and comes across a lot more empathetic and kind. He's not pushing the humor as hard as he is in the column and it creates a great balance.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM

He's also very clear in his podcasts that he has an agreement with his partner/husband (they were married in Canada, IIRC, but that doesn't count in WA) that he discloses very little about their sexual life. I don't think there's a conflict between "Dans" here - he obviously respects Terry's privacy and wishes, and is being a good husband. He mentions often that people will have something that is "the price of admission" for being in a relationship with them, and that usually these are fine, as long as it is disclosed upfront, or negotiated when possible.

And yes, he can be snarky in the podcasts, but then he'll get a call from some depressed/devastated person who needs help, and you can hear the concern in his voice. I've had tears come to my eyes frequently during calls like that.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 06-10-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41 AM

I've been a big fan of Savage for quite a while now. He's got a great, sometimes snarky, attitude and he gives really good advice. Occasionally I think he'll get on a soapbox now and again, but I think that comes with the territory and he typically has some interesting insight when he does get into this mode.

I thought one of his funniest columns was when he related the advice he gave to everyone within the context of the move Starship Troopers. Fortunately for everyone, I was able to find it! This thing is still brilliant over a decade later.

I do have to call BS on Savage for one thing, though. He had one column where he described his first time with a woman. He mentioned that when he got done something came out of the woman's vagina and he freaked out and determined that he would never put his penis into something that excretes something odd like that. Uh Dan, ever see what comes out of a butt?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I do have to call BS on Savage for one thing, though. He had one column where he described his first time with a woman. He mentioned that when he got done something came out of the woman's vagina and he freaked out and determined that he would never put his penis into something that excretes something odd like that. Uh Dan, ever see what comes out of a butt?
I read that column, and I took his tone as one of total irony.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I read that column, and I took his tone as one of total irony.
You may be right. I have to re-read that column if I can find it.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Was that the same column where he described female genitalia as looking like "a canned ham that has been dropped from a great height?"

I laughed so hard when I read that the first time, I thought I was going to rupture something.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvisor View Post
He was on a 'Live' episode of This American Life a few years back here in Seattle. He told a really great story about his own life. Well worth the 15 minutes to listen to it. It gives you a sense of what he is like outside of his sex column persona.

You can listen to it here (Act Four. My Other Dog's A German Shepherd):
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...rom-television
I was actually coming in to mention his appearances on TAL in general. Here are the search results for him there.

I've never read his books but he's a great speaker and I prefer his spoken stuff to his columns.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I believe he wasn't talking about semen, but of queefing.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM

I saw a great talk by Savage when he came to IU. He's a very funny guy. I used to listen to his podcast religiously.

He is very pro-gun, which I like.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Not blood, usually.

Then again, I'm the proud owner of a pair of red wings, so I'm not the one to talk.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Oh wow, thank you all for the replies!

I will definitely go online and read some columns and listen to the podcasts. I listen to "This American Life" whenever I can anyway so I will check that episode out too.

I will probably go ahead and order Skipping Toward Gomorrah as well since that one was mentioned the most. I read online a lot (probably at least a couple of hours everyday just here), but there is something I really like about actually holding a book and reading it...

Thanks again you guys.