Lucas changes Star Wars again for Blu-Ray

Most of the changes are actually good, fixing some errors from the DVD.

However(and this is confirmed), Darth Vader now cries “Noooooo!” when he picks up the Emperor and throws him down the shaft. I’m not kidding.

Read and watch the clip here.

Or, just watch the clip here.

Oh, and Yoda is CGI in Phantom Menace now. At least they didn’t take out his puppet from Empire and Jedi(sure that is coming some day).

To be fair, they did fix the light saber colors in a lot of scenes, something they screwed up on the DVD. And they fixed the Williams score sound levels too.

Yeesh. I really only watch the theatrical versions now. I won’t even buy the Blu-Ray.

Here is the Yoda comparison if you care. I never watch Phantom Menace, so I don’t mind either way really.

I’m another who will only watch the theatrical release versions of the first 3 movies, and another who won’t be giving that ********** Lucas another dime by buying the Blu-Ray.

I should note that the video in that Youtube is not Blu-ray video. He took the audio from the Blu-ray and put it with the DVD video.

yeah, stuff like this is why i still watch the movies on vhs.

Why’d he do that? Will some people buy a new version because it has the ‘nooo!’ on it? I doubt it. Anyone who wants the extra, which is a small number of people, will get it without paying.

George Lucas

Nah, they’ll buy it because it’s a 1080p Blu Ray. The changes are largely incidental.

I clung to my letterboxed VHS tapes for years, but the fact is they’re unwatchable now because of their own flaws, even beyond the serious limitations of NTSC/VHS. (Such as big clunky boxes of differing contrast around ships in composite-shot space battles made more apparent by transfer to video and even more apparent by display on better equipment.)

I think the updated versions have their place, but I’ll hold out for a bundle that includes sweet transfers of the original theatrical versions before I replace my DVDs.

I really don’t have a huge problem with it.

I think the first “no” is absolutely fine, and the second one isn’t needed…but not near as cheesy as I thought it would be (figured it would be more like the end of Revenge…)

I really like the CGI Yoda, I thought the “new” puppet Yoda looked horrible.

I am buying the original trilogy the day it comes out and I’m damn proud of it.

Most are minor changes, but the big ones are really annoying. I’m wondering if he took Hayden Christensen out of Jedi and put back in the “old” Anakin.

I don’t think he’ll release decent transfers of the original. At best, perhaps another crappy copy like he did on DVD.

Ah, this is a Blu Ray version that there wasn’t before? I’ve never had Blu Ray, but I’d assumed that there was already a SW Blu Ray and this was just another Blu Ray.

Yeah, this is the first release of the movies on Blu-Ray.

Ah, OK. That’s a bit different. But still… it would have cost him money to add the ‘noooo!.’ Anyone who wanted the Blu Ray version would have bought it anyway. Adding in a whole extra line? Anyone who’s that geeky about SW isn’t going to want the extra line. Extra CGI, maybe, but changing lines? No.

Even if it did bring him in an extra few million, does he have no artistic credibility at all? Does he really think that the audience need to see DV saying ‘nooo’ to indicate that he’s finally gone against the emperor despite it being really obvious to 5-year-olds?

It has nothing to do with any of that. It’s just the George Lucas cannot stop himself from fucking around with these things.

Gotta wonder if he has obsessive compulsive disorder.

I’ve said this before. Imagine if George Lucas had died in 1980 and somebody else had taken over control of the Star Wars property. And he made all of the exact same decisions that Lucas himself ended up making.

This hypothetical person would be the most hated guy in all of SF fandom for the way he had desecrated George Lucas’ legacy.

I don’t get what he’s thinking. Spielberg has really gone against this lately. He used to make minor changes to his movies, but he has switched his view to go against Lucas now. You can read about it here.

Lucas needs to come to his senses like this.

You mean if someone had taken over during the making of The Empire Strikes Back?

I think you’re probably right in that he’s an author who just can’t let his creation live on its own merits.

Anyone remember that episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal recovers his skills as a painter and then changes and changes and changes the painting so much that it literally falls apart in front of him because he’d painted it over so often? Authors need to know when to stop.

Films are never finished. They are released. Pretty sure Lucas is the source of that quote.

It’s crazy, though. If you want to fix it…fine. But let us see the one that was in theaters.

I have the original trilogy on VHS and am hanging on to those puppies forever!