SDMB 2012 NFL Mock Draft - Recruitment Thread

Hey football fans, at garygnu’s suggestion I think we should put together a little Mock Draft here on the Dope for the coming draft (T-minus 11 days). The first step will be getting a list of fans together who want to participate and assigning teams accordingly. Also we’ll need to set up a starting date, time table and all those details. By starting this thread I guess I’m volunteering to be the Commish for this thing as well. One ground rule, we’d love as many people to participate as possible to make it fun and social, but please make sure you’re willing to take it seriously and do the proper research and thought before making pick as not to take things too far off the rails. Here we go.

Here’s the official 2012 Draft Order

1. Indianapolis Colts
  2. Washington Redskins
  3. Minnesota Vikings
  4. Cleveland Browns
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  6. St. Louis Rams
  7. Jacksonville Jaguars
  8. Miami Dolphins
  9. Carolina Panthers
  10. Buffalo Bills
  11. Kansas City Chiefs
  12. Seattle Seahawks
  13. Arizona Cardinals
  14. Dallas Cowboys
  15. Philadelphia Eagles
  16. New York Jets
  17. Cincinnati Bengals
  18. San Diego Chargers
    19. Chicago Bears - Omniscient
  19. Tennessee Titans
  20. Cincinnati Bengals
  21. Cleveland Browns
  22. Detroit Lions
  23. Pittsburgh Steelers
  24. Denver Broncos
  25. Houston Texans
  26. New England Patriots
  27. Green Bay Packers
  28. Baltimore Ravens
  29. San Francisco 49ers
  30. New England Patriots
  31. New York Giants

First, everyone who wants to participate please post in the thread your interest, any windows where you won’t be available, and what your primary team of interest is. Once volunteers have slowed to a trickle we’ll start assigning second teams to will in the rest of the teams.

I’m expecting to start this thing sometime towards the end of this week and I’d like to put a couple hour deadline on each pick. I’m going to encourage trade talks between teams and I figure we’ll go as many rounds as our momentum will carry us. Maybe if we finish 2 or 3 rounds quickly we can reshuffle the deck and go a second time too. We’ll sort out the specifics over the next couple days, but for now I just need to get a list of participants so we can gauge interest and assign GMs.

I’m claiming the 49ers.

I had a lot of fun the last time we did this. I imagine it’ll go off sometime this next weekend? I don’t foresee a time conflict if so.

Put me down for the Texans, and I’ll probably be O.k. with taking on a few others too, if last time’s any indication.

Ordinarily, I’d be claiming my Saints…but they don’t have a pick until the third round, so there’s not really much point.

I’ll do Cleveland.

I’ll take the Eagles, of course. If there are any open spots that need filled before we start, I can do any NFC East team as well.

There are other Packer fans out there, so I can take any teams that need a GM. The Colts and Redskins would be easy, of course, but I kinda like to take the Vikings too.

I’ll take on a team or two that nobody else wants. Say, Jacksonville.

“Jacksonville”!

You can always trade up …

Always a wiseass in the crowd.

Since garygnu took my team. I’ll be the Rams.

If there are open teams, I’d be willing to fill in for any of the NFC West teams.

I’d be happy to draft for my Chargers.

I’ll claim the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION New York Giants.

How many rounds? I can go three and still know guys, 4-5 I have a vague idea, after that I’m trusting my scouting sites.
How much time between picks, and what do we do if somebody’s time expires?
We should put official picks in bold, or maybe even a bigger font, so it’s easier to see them when mixed with commentary.

Got a quick update of volunteers and team assignments.

1. Indianapolis Colts
  2. Washington Redskins
  3. Minnesota Vikings
    4. Cleveland Browns - SenorBeef
  4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    6. St. Louis Rams - RetroVertigo
    7. Jacksonville Jaguars - furt
  5. Miami Dolphins
  6. Carolina Panthers
  7. Buffalo Bills
  8. Kansas City Chiefs
  9. Seattle Seahawks
  10. Arizona Cardinals
  11. Dallas Cowboys
    15. Philadelphia Eagles - Jules Andre
  12. New York Jets
  13. Cincinnati Bengals
    18. San Diego Chargers - TheBoltEater
    19. Chicago Bears - Omniscient
  14. Tennessee Titans
  15. Cincinnati Bengals
    22. Cleveland Browns - SenorBeef
  16. Detroit Lions
  17. Pittsburgh Steelers
  18. Denver Broncos
    26. Houston Texans - Gray Ghost
  19. New England Patriots
  20. Green Bay Packers
  21. Baltimore Ravens
    30. San Francisco 49ers - garygnu
  22. New England Patriots
    32. New York Giants - It’s Not Rocket Surgery!

Pending Assignments: Hamlet, Oakminster

I’ll give it another day or so to see how many others want to jump in with first choices. On Wednesday I’ll start assigning secondary choices and filling in the gaps.

Personally, I’m thinking I’d like to take the Dolphins and Bills as secondary choices if there’s no takers. I’ll let Hamlet have the Vikings and maybe the Lions assuming someone else takes the Packers.

As for how many rounds, I’d say we can sort of play it by ear. 3 rounds seems like the most likely if we’re ambitious, 2 rounds almost certainly. I’m not opposed to going even deeper if others are willing, but obviously not everyone is going to be interested or knowledgeable enough to do that. Maybe we can assess after round 2 and see where we want to go by vote.

Although I signed up, I won’t have much time this Saturday or Sunday. Will that be an issue?

I’m sure we can work around it. You’re currently drafting last which will help, but if you pick up other teams later in the process we might have to do some coordinating.

What’s everyone’s availability? Is there anyone who only is available M-F during business hours or specifically not available those times? Anyone offline all weekend?

…and we’re back.

Just bumping this to account for the post hamster tragedy lull.