Straight Dope Fantasy Football Mock Draft

Alright folks, it’s time to sign up. We’re looking for at least 12 to draft over at antsports.com. So far, here’s the list:

1. Munch
  2. White Lightning
  3. neuroman
  4. jk1245
  5. mouthbreater
  6. waddamaroon
  7. NurseCarmen
  8. Shibb
  9. mrchan
  10. Camel Toe (wadda, can you confirm this?)

Alternate:

Here are the results from last week’s draft and complete rosters.

Currently, there are 2 12-man drafts available, but none of them are TE-required. Regardless, I think we should include TEs in our rosters. It’s no problem, it’s just that the TEs are listed with the WRs.

As for scoring, we should decide on one of the systems now. Antsports has two, Performance and High Performance.

Performance Scoring:

1 point per 25 yards rushing (1-25 yards = 1 pt, 26-50 yards = 2 pts)
1 point per 25 yards receiving
1 point per 50 yards passing (1-50 yards = 1 pt, 51-100 yards = 2 pts)

6 points for each rushing TD
6 points for each receiving TD
4 points for each passing TD

2 points for each rushing extra point
2 points for each receiving extra point
1 point  for each passing extra point

0 points for each INT

High Performance:

1 point per 10 yards rushing
1 point per 10 yards receiving
1 point per 20 yards passing
1 point per reception

6 points for each rushing TD
6 points for each receiving TD
4 points for each passing TD
-1 points for each INT

2 points for each rushing extra point
2 points for each receiving extra point
1 point  for each passing extra point

Each has slight, but negligible, variations on defense and kicking. Odds are that I’ll just take what’s available, but I wanted to make sure.

Additionally, how do people feel about the “1 point/reception” bit? Personally, I think it’s a bit much, and can do without. It makes WRs a bit more valuable, maybe too much so. Any thoughts?

Finally, please confirm your spot in the draft by posting here. I’ll come back in a few to give the url and directions for signing up. Everyone’s ID number will be the same as on the list above, i.e. White Lightning will be Team2 with password “cecil2”. NurseCarmen will be Team 7 with password “cecil7”.

im in for the whole draft this time, watch out now :wink:

I’m in, and I have someone (coworker) we can get in as an extra if need be. I prefer not to do the 1pt/reception,

Sorry, I didnt read all the instructions. I am happy with # 5.

Go ahead and reserve one of the spots for my coworker – He’ll take spot # 11. . His team will likely be “Stitch”

I’m in, he’s in. And now he knows how to pre-draft.

Two votes for High performance scoring.

I’m trying to convince him to register on the SDMB. He doesn’t think it necessary, but that’s not the point, IMHO.

do you still have room for another?

Munch:
Why isn’t Hamlet in on this?

Because Hamlet hasn’t chimed in yet? We can easily extend this to 14 people, so it would be no problem.

Oh, and everyone will be assigned a team number, but their place in the draft will be randomized.

1. Munch
  2. White Lightning
  3. neuroman
  4. jk1245
  5. mouthbreater
  6. waddamaroon
  7. NurseCarmen
  8. Shibb
  9. mrchan
  11. cadolphin
  12. Hamlet?
  13. ??
  14. ??
    Alternate:

Um, I thought my homeboy would be # 11? do we want to make this a dope-only thing?

Looks like I logged on just in time to get in on this one.

I prefer using a TE and I prefer High Performance but I’m easy. I’ll happily go with what’s available or the majority vote.

Just sounds like fun to do this with people I kinda know instead of with strangers. :smiley:

Kathy

OK, if we arent picking draft spots, then his # does not matter, but I’d like to get him in if that’s kosher.

1. Munch
  2. White Lightning
  3. neuroman
  4. jk1245
  5. mouthbreater
  6. waddamaroon
  7. NurseCarmen
  8. Shibb
  9. mrchan
  11. cadolphin
  12. mouthbreather’s homeboy
  13. Hamlet?
  14. ??
    Alternate:

throw me in here… I’m a glutton for punishment

I’m leaving in about 1/2 hr. to run errands for a few hours. Wanted to let y’all know that so we can either get set up before I know or something.

Kathy

Alright, we’re up.

http://www.antsports.com/as/AS445/

verbenabeast, you’re #14.

For everyone new or who needs a refresher course, just click on your team name, click on “Franchise Setup”, and type your password in. Team14 is “cecil14”, team13 is “cecil13” and so on.

In there, change your team name, and your password if you want. But PLEASE remember that you’ll need to change your passoword back to the original at the end of the draft.

Also, please try to predraft as much as possible, and have fun!

Well, I never changed my pw back from the last one (yet).

I think I’d slightly favor ‘High Performance’ scoring to diminish the dominance of TDs, but I don’t like 1 pt per reception at all. Makes WRs monsters. Although ‘Performance’ scoring doesn’t penalize for INTs, which isn’t ideal. It’s all academic anyway, though.

Thanks for setting this one up again Munch. Looking forward to getting some more practice in. Let’s see… I’m 9th, eh. Could be worse. I’ll go set up my squad now.

Extremely interesting first pick, cadolphins. But the more I think about it, I think a case can be made for Green to go high. I think his fumbling problems are improving now that they’ve discovered the cause (abundantly sweaty hands), and he was 4th in rushing in the NFC even after missing 2 games and playing very lightly in 5 others due to a nagging injury. He’s been going late in other drafts, and he’s a steal if he falls to the 2nd.

Here’s the drafting order:

1. cadolphins
  2. verbenabeast
  3. waddamaroon
  4. mouthbreather’s homeboy
  5. neuroman
  6. Hamlet (or ?)
  7. Munch
  8. NurseCarmen
  9. WL
  10. mouthbreather
  11. Shibb
  12. mrchan
  13. jk
  14. CamelToe

I should probably e-mail Shibb to let him know that he’s in. I e-mailed Hamlet, so hopefully that’s not a problem. Any possible alternates out there who can fill in until they check in?

mouthbreather, get your buddy on the spot! I wanna see who I end up with in the first round.

Looks like Hamlet’s a go, he did set up his team. I’ll email my friend mrchan and have him take his team.

So, what’s the deal with our teams from the last draft? Do we still need to reset the pw?

you up, WL.

err, nevermind WL…I thought you were # 5.