Hey - There's a Cecil / Dope Answer on Jeopardy tonight [2012/06/11]

Just an FYI notice (not about the clue itself). The show just finished in the Eastern time zone, but Central & Pacific zone viewers can still catch it…

National recognition for Unca Cece & the Dope! :smiley:

So I just NOW see this, dangit.

Did anybody tape it? What was it?

I would really really appreciate one of our Left Coasters catching this if at all possible … please let me know. Thanks!!

I saw it!

Argh! What was it?

(You’re keeping an idiot in suspense, you know.)

I don’t remember exactly, but here goes some massive paraphrasing:

“Cecil Adams gave us the “straight dope” on something something something, a one note song, something something, but we already knew it.”

A woman’s name was mentioned in there somewhere too.

Glad I could be of service. :smiley:

Here are the details: It was in Double Jeopardy, and the category was: "I Don’t Know You from Adams".

The clue/answer was: "Cecil Adams wrote an interesting “Straight Dope” about this great songwriter only playing in one key, but I knew that"

I’ll leave the question as an exercise for the reader (no cheating), but the only reason “I knew that” was from reading that same column. Hooray for Cecil and the pursuit of general (i.e., “worthless”) knowledge!

Yeah, so as I was saying, a person’s name does not get mentioned. Definitely not a woman’s name, don’t believe anyone who says otherwise! Lies, all lies!

I don’t get it. Is “I knew that” supposed to be a clue, because I don’t get that part.

Hi, TubaDiva, my old friend! Doin’ good (aside from missing Jeopardy tonight)? I hope so!

Anyway, I DVRd most of the episode (including the Cecil clue). I didn’t start out recording it, but DirecTVs DVRs allow you to “retro-cord” anything that’s still in its buffer if you have enough free space, so when I saw the reference, I did just that.

Do you want me to capture it and put it online somewhere? Can do.

Hey, your memory was better than mine! I used a technological cheat.

Besides, like my beloved Firesign Theater accurately reported:

I might be mistaken, but I don’t think that was part of the clue. I think it was just a sly reference to what Cecil is most notoriously famous for: Setting out the straight dope and lifting the veil of ignorance for all and sundry…

Oh please, I would so be in your debt!

But I’ll see what I can do about that.

You got it. I’ll send you a PM with the link when I’m done.

I’m imagining all kinds of ways you might pay off your “debt”…
So you say you play the tuba? Must need strong lips for that, right? :o

It was one of those over-contrived categories they sometimes come up with. As noted, the category was “I Don’t Know You from Adams” – each clue was about some person named Adams who was a source for some factoid. And each clue came with a lame disclaimer that the person’s knowledge of that factoid came from somewhere besides the Adams in question.

Yeah. If you know who the songwriter was that only played in one key, you’re good.

I Googled it. <shrug>

For those who want to know the question:

Saw it. Couldn’t get the answer right.

To earn my hinted at reward from TubaDiva, I captured and titled the relevant parts of the show and then uploaded them to a video share site. It took a lot longer than I expected because I had to try several sites to find one that more-or-less worked as advertised :smack:

If you want to watch it online, here’s the link for that: CecilOnJeopStd.flv
(Spoiler Alert: The contestant answers correctly in the video.)

The following two links won’t play online (they’re not flash vids), but you can press the “Download” button and then play them offline on your computer:

Standard Def avi file: CecilOnJeop.avi

High Def mp4 of the same thing: CecilOnJeop.mp4

And please, folks, I ask that you don’t re-upload these publicly. Or whatever, I guess…

And hey, Tuba: “And if I don’t get the things I am after
I’m going to scream!
I want the works,
I want the whole works!
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises in all shapes and sizes,
And now!
Don’t *care *how, I want it now!”

Thanks for posting that video clip. Pretty cool, at least for Dopers.