The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Did people really think it was "Excuse me while I kiss this guy"?

Inspired by this article on CNN about misquoted songs.

Did anyone, back when the song was out in the early 1970s, think that the actual lyric in the Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Haze" was "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" instead of "Excuse me while I kiss the sky"?

I ask because I was familiar with the song in the early 1970s (thank you Superstars of the 70s multi album set), and I didn't know anyone who thought that. I never heard it mentioned. I should add that in southern Minnesota, it was not exactly the most popular song. The first time that I heard it mentioned was when some guy was pimping his book about "Mondegreens" about 10 or 15 years ago. My bullshit meter sounded at the mention of it. It absolutely pegged when the author claimed that Hendrix would occasionally kiss a guy during the playing of the song in concert.

So anyone more into music at that time have any insights into this? I've been meaning to ask this for a number of years.
Advertisements  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Nope for me, nope for my brother. Of course, that may have been because we actually listened to the album. I'm wondering about some disgruntled parent, overhearing it from another room, as being the source for the bad press.

My brother did say, however, that our wildman friend, Allan, did believe it, but, my brother may have just been making it up, to show what a dolt Allan was.

And, IIRC, on Woodstock, Hendrix actually made a kiss motion at the sky.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Nope for me.

But yes for one of my step-brothers. We were both born in the late 1960's, so as a contemporary hit it was before our time. But while I had some interest in classic rock as a teen and thus knew Hendrix's oeuvre, my SB was much more into rap, funk, and "old school" r & b ( so was I a bit, but it was a difference of focus ). So I suspect someone told him that's what the lyrics said and from then on that's what he heard in his head until corrected years later.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 07-11-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM

I am pretty sure I have heard that Hendrix himself was aware of the "kiss this guy" interpretation, and at least one gig Jimi distinctly sang it that way, and pretended to kiss Noel Redding. No doubt it was not the lyric Jimi originally intended, but the alternative version presumably got around quickly, and Jimi himself heard about it, and was amused.

A quick Google turned up this page (despite its being incorrectly headed as being about "Jimi Page"). I do not think it I where I first heard the story, however.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

The song came out when I was a teenager. We knew it was "kiss the sky," however, we also frequently used "kiss this guy" as a joke because of all the straights and lame-o's who thought that was the actual lyric.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I remember flipping though one of those 'mis heard lyrics' books and seeing that and thinking "Who thinks it says that, that doesn't even sound right." So, add me to the "never heard it that way" camp. Also, since everyone else is doing it, I'm 32 (born in 1980) so and I've pretty much always been into classic rock, so I've been hearing it most of my life.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I was born in 1973, so I don't fully satisfy your criteria, but for what it's worth, I personally thought that was the lyric for many years. Probably because I heard the song a lot as a child, and "kiss this guy" was a coherent, recognizable action to me, while "kiss the sky" was too metaphorical for me to parse that phrase. I'd guess I was a young adult when I finally read the correction and went, "Ooooohhhhhh!"
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Born in '57 here. I knew it as "kiss the sky" and didn't hear the misheard version until years later.

But for many years I thought that the Beatles tune "paperback writer" was "Take the back right turn".

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
僕は女性の香りが大好きですよ。フア!

Hahahaha. This brings back memories. When I was a kid in junior high, all my friends knew it was "kiss the sky" but when that part of the song came up we would all yell out as loud as we could "'Scuse me...WHILE I KISS THIS GUY!!"

Yeah, we were idiots.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 07-11-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Why is the allusion to Judas Iscariot so resoundingly dismissed?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM

I was around then, and didn't hear "kiss this guy" until years later. . . though I was, in fact, kissing a lot of guys back then, so I would have noticed those lyrics.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM

I can totally see folks hearing it as "kiss this guy," but I wasn't around at the time.

On the other hand, people hear "Take me down to a very nice city" in G'n'R's "Paradise City"? Seriously?

Also, disappointed that one of my favorites didn't make the list: Big ol' jet had a light on.

Now c'mon, Tony Danza... hold me closer now...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

My mother thought the lyrics to "Invisible Touch" were, "She's a half-pint physical toucher." Anything is possible!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM

As someone who thought that Rod Stewart sang Bette Davis Eyes...

No, even I know it was "kiss the sky", though in my head, I always say "kiss this guy" because I really hate that overplayed song.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM

I was born in 1961, and never listened to Hendrix until several years after his death.

Yes, for a year or two, I thought he was saying "Kiss this guy."

Last edited by astorian; 07-12-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
As someone who thought that Rod Stewart sang Bette Davis Eyes...

That's just silly.

But he DID sing "It's a Heartache," right? Bonnie Tyler was just an alias, right?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM

You mean the ants aren't my friends?!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM

I don't recall any special memories about it, but recently I saw it on the Batman slapping Robin internet meme, with Robin singing it "kiss this guy" and Batman slapping him, "that's not how it goes!"

Now it's permanently "kiss this guy!" just because of that.

Underworld's Born Slippy:
"Shouting, mega mega white thing mega mega white thing mega mega white thing."

My ears: "Nigga nigga white thing, nigga nigga white thing..."
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I, personally, thought for years that the AC/DC song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" was called "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief".

No, I have no idea what I thought it was supposed to mean either.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM

No because it very clearly is kiss the sky.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I, personally, thought for years that the AC/DC song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" was called "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief".
Really, even though the song is called dirty deeds done dirt cheap?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

The Mondegreen that surprised me is the mishearing of "the dark sacred night" from Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" into "the dogs say goodnight." I never thought of it as the latter, but once told about it, I can't but hear "the dogs say goodnight."
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Romney Voldemort supporter

One of my friends thought so when we we in Junior High.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Born on the 70s, but the first time I heard anyone point out that it sounded like "kiss this guy" was on a miss-heard lyrics site in the 90s.

I do love me some Secret Asian Man, though.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I've misheard lyrics over the years, but not "Purple Haze."

My daughter misheard "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" as "Gypsy Transit Thieves," implying they are turnstile jumpers.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 07-12-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM

Mentioning another: John Fogerty has a sense of humor about his mondegreen. When performing "Bad Moon Rising," he'll sing the line, "There's a bathroom on the right," and point off to his right.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 PM

I always heard it as "Pardon me... while I make out with this dude over here."
Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I always heard it as "Pardon me... while I make out with this dude over here."
Weirdo.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Born: ‘57

Older sister bought Purple Haze when it first came out (nerdy older brother made me listen to S&G’s Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme for months, so I was ready to rock) and for a long time I thought the lyric was indeed, “’scuse me while I kiss this guy.” Strangely, even after I learned the correct version, to this day, I hear “’scuse me while I kiss this guy” in my head.

More embarrassing is that I do something very similar to this day at restaurants when the waitress asks, “do you want soup or salad?” More times than not, I reply, “how big is it?”, or some variation on that theme. Then, when I get the “what’s this guy’s problem” stare, I realize my mistake and reply, “sorry, I thought you were asking if I want a “super” salad”. I know better, I just keep forgetting.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
You mean the ants aren't my friends?!
They're blowin in the wind.

The ants, sir, are blowin in the wind
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

My brother certainly heard it as "kiss this guy". He asked me why Jimmy Hendrix was singing about kissing a guy.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I'll admit for a long time I thought Everything Zen included the lines "I don't believe in Hell since Daniel" and "There's no sense in your violence". In my defense the actual lyrics contain the lines "Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow/Dave's on sale again" and "Raindogs howl for the century/A million dollars a steak". (At least I think these are the actual lyrics. I just checked four different sites and they gave four different sets of lyrics.)
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy View Post
They're blowin in the wind.

The ants, sir, are blowin in the wind
Waiter!
I'll have what he is drinking.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Waiter!
I'll have what he is drinking.
Double Scotch, neat.

Dylan, man.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

No, I have no idea what I thought it was supposed to mean either.
For whatever it's worth, I heard it that way too. Mr. Shoe laughed himself sick the first time he heard me singing along. It was always on the radio, Laggard, so it's not like I was looking at the album and seeing the track title.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Boston's "Peace of Mind" contains the line "But I don't care if I get behind."

I'd always heard it as "But I don't care about FBI."
Old 07-12-2013, 07:01 PM

When it first came out and when I was playing bass in bands performing it then, it was "kiss the sky.". But I'm pretty sure in a YouTube clip of Jimi performing it at an outdoor venue, he sang "kiss this guy." If he did sing it that way, I'm pretty certain it was because he had heard the tales and even Rock and Roll Guitar Gods are allowed to have senses of humor and make jokes. Or at least, he thought so.

I don't think the Official Rock And Roll Star Rule Book had come out at that time.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't understand anything Hendrix sang, so I ignored him.

Still do.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
That's just silly.

But he DID sing "It's a Heartache," right? Bonnie Tyler was just an alias, right?
Yes, he did. Bonnie Tyler was just a bad dream.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I couldn't understand anything Hendrix sang, so I ignored him.

Still do.
Wow.
What about the Watchtower?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Wow.
What about the Watchtower?
Yeah, Hendrix doesn't really come across to me as one of the more mush-mouthed singers. I don't really care about lyrics, but his were pretty easy to understand.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
In my defense the actual lyrics contain the lines "Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow/Dave's on sale again"
This is a quote of two lines from David Bowie's "Life on Mars," but with "Dave," presumably referring to Bowie, substituted for "Lennon."
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
Boston's "Peace of Mind" contains the line "But I don't care if I get behind."

I'd always heard it as "But I don't care about FBI."
Thank you! That song has bothered me for years. I only hear it on the Geezer Rock radio station and they never tell the name of the song or the group.

I kept meaning to look it up from the lyrics I did understand but when I'd be at a computer and would think of it, all I could ever remember is "I don't care about FBI". I was pretty damn sure that wasn't what they were singing but I could never get it to sound like anything else.

There was another song that I had no idea I had wrong until it came out on one of those Songs of the 70's sort of albums and I saw the title Radar Love scroll by. Up till that moment, I'd always thought it was Red Eye Love.

I have no idea what that was supposed to mean but I have to admit that the song has seemed a little duller for me since then.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 AM

I'm still trying to figure out who the hell "Bingo Jed" is, and why he had a light on.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Now I've mentioned before a number of my mondegreens, including "Just like the one-winged dove" from Stevie Nicks's Edge of Seventeen and how I heard "Sugar Bear" in Elton John's Someone Saved My Life Tonight and, thinking that sounded stupid so they're obviously singing "Should've they?" (er... no, it's "Sugar Bear".)

But I don't think I've mentioned my most embarrassing one of all, one that my wife still mocks me to this day, years after she corrected me. In my defense(?)... naw, there's no defense. I was just completely stupid. And had I bothered to learn the title of this 70s soft-rock song, there would be no mocking.

:sigh:

So there's this song that I thought (even though the word "woman" is used during the verses) had the chorus:

Quote:
You are a ma-an... and I am Steve.
Wow! It's the most openly gay song in history - the artist(s) must have been really brave to come out with such a song 30+ years ago!

Uh... no. Apparently the guy is singing

Quote:
You are a magnet... and I am steel."
To be honest, like "Sugar Bear/Should've They", I like my version better.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-13-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM

In Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl, I heard Lah-tee-dah as Lucky Duck. Made total sense to me, but then again, I was about five when that song was getting air play. I still like it better that way.

Last edited by brainstall; 07-13-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Born in 1973, I wasn't sure if it was Kiss This Guy or Kiss The Sky. Was a fight between something slightly nonsensical given the lyrics or a phrase I hadn't heard before.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post

Also, disappointed that one of my favorites didn't make the list: Big ol' jet had a light on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I'm still trying to figure out who the hell "Bingo Jed" is, and why he had a light on.
Fools! It's "Big ol' Chad had a light on".

My favorite misheard lyric (I didn't hear it wrong - I read it on a website) was from the Replacements song "Never Mind": For the line "All over but the shouting" someone thought it was "I overbooked the chalet".
Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM

JET! by Paul McCartney and Wings... I had different lyrics for it every single time it played.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Firstly, thanks to the OP for shouting out at Superstars of the 70's. I still have my copy (LP) that I bought with my very own money in the early 70's.

My favorite mondegreen is a friend's young daughter who thought Crystal Gayle was not singing "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue", but "Don't It Make My Brownies Smooth".

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 07-13-2013 at 12:52 PM..