Game of Thrones 5.04 "The Sons of the Harpy" 5/3/15 [Show Discussion]

5.01 The Wars to Come
5.02 The House of Black and White
5.03 High Sparrow

This is for the discussion of the TV show as its own entity. The books do not exist in this thread. No book comparisons, references, anything.

The current open spoilers thread for discussion of both the books and TV show is here. More of them may open up with a different niche, but that seems to be the main one at the moment.

“You know nothing, Jon Snow.”

whoa!

Glad i didn’t watch the leaked episodes, waiting a month after this would’ve been hell.

I didn’t realize it earlier, but Dorne is clearly modeled on an Arabic or other Middle Eastern society.

It seems more like Spain to me, which has some Arabic/Moorish influence.

Shit, Not Grey Worm and Ser Barristan! I really, really liked those guys. It’s possible that Grey Worm will survive, but it looked like Barristan was definitely dead. Daenerys is having quite a streak of really awful luck. Still, I feel like her whole thing has always been making lemons into lemonade, so this might be just the kick in the ass she needs to start kicking ass again. I predict that Varys and/or Tyrion will end up filling the vacancies in her cabinet.

It was nice to see Stannis show some affection for his daughter. She’s always been the most sympathetic in the family by several miles. Still think Stannis is an asshole and would make a sub-par king, but it was good to see that extra dimension to him. Even though he wishes he had a son, he doesn’t resent his daughter for it.

Is it just me or did Sansa seem…wistful when she told Baelish “I suspect the next time you see me, I’ll be a married woman.” I think Baelish sees her as a combination of a toy and a tool, but I think she’s falling for him. Or perhaps that was just her accepting to go along with his plan.

I wasn’t expecting Cersei’s plan with the Sparrows to mature so quickly. I won’t be surprised if it ends up biting her in the ass. If she’s created a religious army that even the king can’t control, I can’t imagine she’ll be able to control it either. Also, Sparrows were calling Tommen an “abomination,” so they believe the “rumors” and I’m sure they don’t feel much more charitably towards Cersei herself. Cersei’s a schemer, but she’s never been great at playing the long game like Tywin. I think she’s created a monster that’s going to destroy a lot of stuff, including her.

I’ve really been enjoying this season. It feels like a lot of pieces are being set up for some very big changes soon.

Ser Barristan’s death could also motivate Dany to welcome Ser Jorah back when he shows up.

Cersei is such a bitch. It would be interesting if the events in Kings Landing cause Tommen to grow a pair and start ruling.

It was really far from hell. I’m glad I didn’t prolong 4 eps of nothing into an entire month of hoping it would get better.

Interesting that Jaime and Bronn had a talk about how they want to die - whether it be in battle or in a comfortable retirement. Then, old Ser Barristan (who in season one refused to be dismissed from the kingsguard to live out his dotage in some castle) may have just died in battle. If he is dead, he went out the way he wanted.

That’s one of the things that makes this show unique… there are minor actions that took place in season one, maybe just from a minor quip, that we are now seeing the results of in this season.

I wish we had a scene with Varys’ reaction to Tyrion’s disappearance.

Why did the Sand Snakes kill the captain who brought them valuable information? Are they all just psycho?

Melisandra’s seduction was unconvincing. I don’t mind nudity but I get annoyed if it makes the scene feel like a joke. Is she supposed to have super sex powers? I thought she told Stannis’ wife that she didn’t.

Prediction based on Jamie and Bronn’s campfire discussion: Jamie and Cersei are going to die in the same scene. It will not be a happy ending.

Everyone is predicting that Cersei’s games with religion will come back an bite her. And I don’t disagree. But I think sending what’s his face to talk to the Iron Bank will also be a big blunder. It almost seemed that she did not intend for hime to make it there when she assigned him a guard but I think the guard’s duty may be to make sure he goes straight to the bank without consulting Diana Rigg.

Well she did talk about making “shadows” to Jon. I imagine that was her goal, probably to unleash them on the Boltons.

This is what happens when you don’t have A Hand. Tommen going personally to talk to the High Sparrow? You summon the High Sparrow…and if he doesn’t show, you send ****ing troops to get him. And those peasants with garden trowels aren’t going to stop anyone.

I would submit the power she gave the zealots is already biting her. She uncorked a bottle and it will never go back in.

As far as the Father of the Bride, I don’t see any way he makes it alive to the Bank but lucky for us the Sleazoid who is going to kill him is walking into a City where there’s an awesome girl that wants him dead.

Perhaps Mace Tyrell will be kidnapped on the way to Braavos? Except that Cersei is behind the kidnapping and she uses the ransom money to cover the deficit. (At the same time gaining the upper hand against Margaery.)

Absolutely. Tommen looked impotent when he came slinking back with his tail between his legs. And he may as well be, because it doesn’t look like he’ll be getting laid by his wife again anytime soon.

These Sons of the Harpy guys seem tougher than they should be, unless the Unsullied ain’t all that we were led to believe they were. Grey Worm fought well, but the others…not so much. Heavy armor, shields, and spears getting slaughtered by guys in cloth with glorified daggers?

The Sand Witches appear to be deliciously evil and more than a little psychotic. Looking forward to seeing how their plot plays out.

Cersei has to get what’s coming to her sooner or later. Looking forward to that, too. She’s a great heel, but it’s time for her to put somebody over…

From the preview–interesting to see Tyrion staring at the dragon. Did it seek hm out?

Haven’t we seen that the unsullied use a kind of phalanx formation to fight? As soon as they are ambushed, they should have circled the wagons, with Grey Worm in the center. The Harpies should have been slaughtered.

Enjoying this season. Contrary to what some others are saying, I think plenty is happening, and I think it’s back on form after some of the incongruous / out of character events in season 4.

Daenerys can now have the most kickass small council if she finds a way to trust both Jorah and Tyrion. You almost feel sorry for the sons of the harpy :slight_smile:

hmm this may point to some of the more bizarre fan theories…:dubious:

Remember the repeated requests to re-open the fighting pits? Well what do you think a bunch of bored , unemployed pit-fighters might do when offered large sums of money by their old employers?