How many threads is too many?

As I type this OP there are, in Cafe Society, 20 threads in the first 100 started by a single poster. Most are “favorite movie” related threads. The front page is clogged with these threads.

Since none have been closed I assume it’s okay to do this. So as my title asks, is there an upper limit to threads, shown at one time?

I get your annoyance…but all of them are getting responses.

So which is your Top Five Zeldar Movie Threads?

:smiley:

I don’t think that really matters. I, too, noticed those threads and it seemed like we should do just a few at a time. It’s common courtesy.

There isn’t a hard upper limit on how many active threads you can start in one forum at a time. That said, fifteen at once is a bit much. We’ve contacted Zeldar to ask him to pace his threads out a bit more. Whether or not we close any of the existing threads is up to the CS mods, but it looks like we’re leaning towards leaving them open and letting them drop off the front page normally.

Oh, agreed. If I were a moderator, I’d probably contact Zeldar to ask him to pace his threads out a bit more. I might or might not close any of the existing threads, but I imagine I’d lean towards leaving them open and letting them drop off the front page normally.

Thank you Miller.

What a good idea. Wish we had thought of that.

You win the cleverest post of the day award for that!

A few of us mentioned in his asking for suggestions thread that maybe he should cool it. He agreed- don’t know when the quiet mod note came.

The problem with letting them die a natural death is that every time someone votes, the thread jumps back to the top of the page. It’s unfair to anyone participating in an actually interesting thread because they’re all getting buried as a consequence. For the next week or so, there’s no real point in starting a conversation in Cafe Society.

You could always put [ZELDAR] in front of them.
The devil made me say that.

Even though I’ve responded to many of them ------ thanks to Miller and the mods and thanks to Baker as well.

Tremendous. Very well done!

I have a hard time giving Zeldar a hard time about this. Although I will say that he seems committed to creating such polls and data gathering - and if he were truly committed to the cause, he’d go that extra mile to compile a massive omnibus poll thread and get it all done in one fell swoop. C’mon, Zeldar - break out that 1,200 multiple choice poll thread on us already! Why do in 14 threads what you can do in one?

Just make a [Zeldar]-post sub-forum, already.

(Who the hell said that?)

snort

:rolleyes:

All of them getting buried?

…‘participating in an actually interesting thread’…

’ there’s no real point in starting a conversation in Cafe Society.’

Just :rolleyes:

Anybody else get flashbacks to this?

We’ve had mod intervention on single-issue posters before, I don’t think this is any different.

That said, college football season will be starting soon and we can probably corral him in a 2015 CFB Omnibus thread.

I don’t think that’s the case here at SD. At other vBulletin sites, you are correct that by just voting in a poll will move that thread to the top of the forum list, but I think that feature is not enabled here.