My Mom Died Today, and I Feel Lost and Selfish

Thirteen hours ago, after a few days being ill and just under a day in the hospital, my mom died of a combination of the flu and a MRSA lung infection. I’d apologize that this will be long and rambling, but I’m not really that sorry, and you probably expect that any way.

The fact that my mother died first is not at all what I expected or mentally planned for. I’m a planner, you need to understand, so it’s not as though I haven’t given this thought: both my parents have been in poor health for years, with long lists of both physical and mental illnesses, so I knew that one or both of them dying youngish was possible. But I thought she’d do better if he died first, and that I’d do better if he died first, and now…

I live with my parents (noooo, I live with my dad now) and I’ve helped them out with a lot in addition to paying room and board. But I was planning on buying a house in the same town. Mom was really supportive of me doing that, and was helping me find a house. I’d planned to save a down payment between x and y, and last month I met the high end of that saving goal. I’ve taken the new homeowner’s course and gotten a the certificate that qualifies me for a bunch of great first mortgage options. Basically the past few months I’ve just been waiting for an appropriate house to hit the market. Mom even visited the first open house with me.

My dad, on the other hand, hasn’t wanted me to move out. He talked to me a few days after Christmas, against Mom’s objections, about what if they sold this house and we bought a bigger house together - he cited that they’re getting less able to do things, and the house needs a lot of work. Frankly, I was a bit horrified by the idea. I want to have my own house, my own life, and I’ll tell you, woman in late 30s who lives with parents is not a big selling point for single men; I don’t want to be single and childless forever, and I feel like I’m running out of time. Not to mention I don’t think this house will sell easily, which it would have to in order to for them to add to the down payment for a larger more expensive house.

I’m not super good at standing up for myself, but I did tell him that I didn’t want to do that. I told him that the logistics didn’t make it seem to be a workable plan, and that I planned to be around to help still, and if something happened to one of them, I imagined that the other would move in with me - this is true, but I really expect it to be her, and not for years, not until after I’d found that right guy, or adopted from foster care, or whatever I did to have a family of my own.
He seemed resigned.

Mom was my buddy - we did a lot together, got along great, and dad and I are not as close. His mental illness has put me through a lot more and we just have never have had as much in common. Don’t get me wrong, I love him, but he hasn’t really been my friend too, if that makes any sense. (I know it might not make any sense). But now, in addition to being so so so upset that my mom is gone, I also feel a bit like I’m stuck with him. And that maybe even if I do manage to convince him that we need to move - water damage from last winter to the floors worries me a lot etc so I feel on some level the house might devolve into unsafeness sooner or later- that continuing to live with him, like I promised is going to close off options in my own life.

I can’t leave him alone, he’s not capable of looking after himself and like I said I worry about the eventual safety here (not to mention that one of his meds makes him prone to blacking out and falling down if he doesn’t time it right), so I know I’ll look after him. And I also worry that if someone isn’t with him his mental illness will get worse and/or prompt him to take the same route a Robin Williams because the bipolar are so prone to suicide. (25% of people who commit suicide are bipolar.) But I’m ashamed that I’m thinking about how mom’s death will change my life and what I’ve planned for myself.

I already feel bad that mom didn’t live long enough to see me married with kids, and now I’m worried that I’m bad for feeling resentment that I’m going to have to take on looking after a parent at the expense of my own freedom now, right when I was on the verge of being in a better position of getting what I wanted out of life.

My brother is going to make more of an effort to help him too, and as I listened tonight to him saying we should hang out more, I want to lash out because one of mom’s biggest sorrows was that he didn’t see us more often, and now he’s planning to spend more time? Why couldn’t he have decided this two years ago? But I said nothing, because I’m the one who says nothing, and I don’t want to discourage him from his new plan even if it’s too late. And besides, he’s grieving too, and I love him so I don’t want to hurt him by saying something he already knows.

It’s going to get better, right? These mixed emotions, that compete with the desperate wish that I could have my mommy back.

If you’ve read all this, god bless you for listening to my confused venting. I’m afraid that you’ll suggest therapy, but even if I do go to one I know they’ll encourage me to allow myself to leave Dad to fend for himself, and I can’t, and they’ll just be another person I disappoint.

One thing my mom has always praised me for, and others have noted about me too, is that I’ve always been the stable, reliable one who can be counted on to keep calm in the face of chaos, and tonight I just feel like everything has been upended.

I feel for you, since you say you were close to your mother. I wasn’t very close to mine. She died in 1995, at the age of 53. She hadn’t been ill per se, though she had problems with being bipolar, smoked quite a bit, and was an alcoholic. She went to bed one night in April, and didn’t get up the next day. I was 26 at the time, and I was still living at home with her and my father (who was visiting his brother in another state at the time of her death). I was not at home the night that she died, I was called the following evening after my brother in law (my half-sister’s husband) had broken into the house to find my mother’s body.

I won’t say I felt bad, but I did feel disassociated. I had lived with her my whole life, and her bipolar manifested itself when I was 8 years old . I don’t remember life before her first breakdown, and life was mostly misery until she passed. While I lived with my parents, I spent as much time out of the house as I could. When she died, I was surprised to find I was actually sad, but I still had an overwhelming sense of relief. I felt like my life was actually going to start. Like I wouldn’t be obligated to live at home anymore and cater to her needs.

I did end up staying a few more years. Since my dad was alone, I didn’t see any point in rushing out. He actually ended up meeting someone and remarried a couple of years later (they’re still married now, though she’s 86 and not in great health). When I was 28 I met my husband, and we moved in together in 1999.

So, it can get better. How long it takes depends on your circumstances. You say your mother was in poor health, so you can take comfort in the fact that this is no longer the case for her. I certainly did. Now you need to look to your own future, and I wish you the best in that endeavor.

I’m so, so very sorry to hear of your loss. It’s perfectly understandable that you are lost and confused by the suddeness of these events. Maybe best to put aside the planning and the future for a little while, a few days perhaps? I know it’s not easy, but give both you and your Dad some time to grieve.

It’s so easy to focus on looming unimportant future possibilities just to escape the moment you’re actually in. But this is, in fact, a very important moment of your life, for you both. It’s much more important to stay present, for your Dad and yourself! Take the time, to live this. All your problems will still be there when you’re done with things regarding your Mom’s passing, I can promise.

I know it’s all caught you off guard and you’re unsure of a lot that future challenges could present. But try not to find all the answers today, you don’t need to, even if it is your nature. Try to imagine that, in some currently unseen way, everything could fall together in a not horrible way. Why? Why not? What’s to lose?

Again, I am so sorry to hear of this very profound loss, you have my most sincere condolences.

Well, sometimes venting on an anonymous message board is just what the doctor ordered.

Seems to me you’re handling everything quite well, all things considered.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom 23 years ago…I was 27…and I still feel that I can empathize completely. Like the song says, nobody treats you like a mother will.

Yeah, it’s sad that your brother is only now offering to reconnect, but it’s something. My mom was the glue in my family; we’ve split into two factions over the years since her passing, for reasons too convoluted to go into. Hopefully your brother follows through and your bond becomes stronger.

May you come to find peace and comfort in her memory, and again, my condolences.

Oh hon I am so sorry. I don’t have any words of wisdom about your situation but from what I read I don’t think you are in the wrong at all, with how you are feeling. None of it is fair - losing your mom, her going first, having to take care of dad, your brother, none of it.

It’s ok to be upset. As the “stable” one I am sure you have seen your share of other people’s meltdowns. You can do that too.

Peace to you.

I’m so so sorry honey. That is a lot to deal with.

I avoided therapy for awhile because I assumed the only healthy option was to confront my evil stepmother, and I was afraid to do that. But my therapist assured me that I didn’t need to do that.

If you do think that talking to someone would be helpful, know that there are many good, kind therapists out there, and that the good ones aren’t going to insist you do something you feel you cannot, and are not subject to being disappointed by you.

Take care, and please be kind to yourself. You have already shown yourself to be a good, considerate person and daughter.

When you need to vent again, feel free. My love and sympathy to you and the warmest hugs this form/format allow.

Moms are cool.

My sympathies, truly. I feel for you. I thought my father would die first and I wanted to be there with my wonderful mom as she got old. I thought she and I would be housemates since we loved each other so much, and that we would get even closer with my father not in the picture. Instead she died at 66 and now I live with him.

My advice? After some time to process everything for yourself, do what you need to to make the life you want for yourself. You don’t owe your dad anything, especially not to the point where you are giving up something you hope for like a family of your own. Find a situation with care for him, in a smaller place that he can afford. He was supposed to raise you and send you out into the world – he has limitations but don’t let them limit you.

My father and I are friendly and we’re in a big enough house that we have our own spaces, but he is healthy and self-sufficient. I moved in with him because he moved back to this area and it is nice to be in a house and not in a rental. But the key is I wasn’t doing anything else, and I am not missing out on a dream for myself. Follow through on your plans for a house, especially if your mom wanted you to.

First: I am so sorry. There really isn’t a great response to the loss of a mother, and yours sounds like a terrible loss. May you find peace and comfort.

Echoing earlier advice: don’t rush to make decisions right now. Allow yourself the cushion of a little time, a little distance, before you make any more big changes. You are a bit vulnerable. Treat yourself gently while you accustom yourself to your circumstances. Your father is a concern, of course, but remember that your life is your priority. Be kind to yourself.

I’m so, so very sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you. It’s perfectly understandable that there are other losses that you’re grieving right now too. The loss, or potential loss, of the future plans you’ve been working towards are by no means small, but they are of an easier size to manage than the loss of your mum right now, and it’s not inappropriate to work through them too. Take each thing in turn, as it comes up. There’s no wrong way to do this.

No advice, I think the previous posters have it covered. Condolences and best wishes only.

The bit about “I love him but he wasn’t my friend like Mom was” makes perfect sense.
You’ve lost someone who was a support for you and now find yourself as main supporter of another who… well, yeah, you love him, but he’s not someone who you would have chosen as a roommate if he didn’t happen to be family.
Take it easy, don’t rush one direction or another, and I hope you find your feet soon.

Another person who says wait to make a decision, but not forever. You can’t give up your own life for your dad, but I am one of those people who definitely wouldn’t, so in the end you have to do what is good for you.

Very sorry for your loss.

What was your mother like?

Mine was a gracious person, who taught me the most important thing of all: kindness, and you seem very kind.

My thoughts are with you are your family :frowning:

I’m so very sorry, Elfkin. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Be sure to take care of yourself during this time. It’s Ok, to be selfish sometimes.

So sorry for your loss.

Please do not apologize for your feelings. I’ve dealt with my share of death in the past few years, and one thing I’ve learned is that there is no point in feeling sorry for the dead. Whatever your beliefs, they are either in a “better place” or they are oblivious to their condition. Either way, they are in no pain, and there’s nothing to be done for them anyway.

Instead, focus on the living, and first and foremost that includes yourself. Whatever emotions crop up – resentment, anger, sadness, loneliness, fear, relief, and on and on – are just as valid as any other. Own them, and allow yourself to feel them fully. There is no one path in mourning, and you will find yours.

Next, there is your father and the rest of your family. I can’t tell you what to do about your living situation, but like it or not, things have changed, and you’re all going to have to figure out how to go forward together.

Good luck.

Very sorry for your loss, and best wishes to you and family.

So sorry for your loss, elfkin. For what it’s worth, I don’t think you’re being selfish. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to have your own life. I hope you and your father are able to work out a solution that works for both of you.