Ask the Asocial Korean Teenager Living in Guatemala...

…Who Has Never Lived In One Country for Over 3 Years In A Row
(Doesn’t all fit)
Noticing the current trend of “Ask the ___” threads in IMHO, i thought i’d start one of my own.
I know everyone has questions about asocial korean teenagers in guatemala who has never lived in one country for over 3 years, so i thought this would be a good way to clear some things up.
Other countries i have lived in include Trinidad, Canada, Korea (obviously), and Oman. I don’t think i can answer questions about Oman though, because i was very little when i lived there.
Now ask away!

Dude, ever eat so many kimchee tamales that you hurl?

Are there a lot of Koreans in Guatemala?

Are there a lot of Guatemalans in Korea?

Do people wear those colorful clothes on an everyday basis, or do they just sell them to us furriners?

That should’ve read “Dude, ever eat so many kimchee tamales alone that you hurl?” I’ve never had kimchee tamales, but i’ve had kimchee with tortillas (i was home alone, and i’m a very lazy person).

Are there a lot of Koreans in Guatemala?
There are actually a lot of koreans in Guatemala. Most are textile factory owners or people that have something to do with them. I’m just a child of a diplomat. I think there are about 7000 koreans in Guatemala, and that’s large enough to have a community.

*Are there a lot of Guatemalans in Korea? *
I don’t think so.

Do people wear those colorful clothes on an everyday basis, or do they just sell them to us furriners?
There are quite a few indigenous people in Guatemala who almost kept all their culture intact, including language, food, way of life, and clothing. And some believe that cameras are evil because they steal a part of their soul or something like that. There are villages that live almost completely isolation from so-called civilized world, but there are a lot of natives who live in big cities but still wear their traditional clothing (i’ve noticed only women in big cities wear their tradition clothing for some reason…).

Oh come on, are those all the questions you guys can come up with?

Did you like the Korean grocery poetry jam thread?

My husband and I were in Korea (Chonan) for nine months, and we knew a family there that had lived in Argentina for a long time. I thought that was pretty wild. Their son later got called on a mission to Argentina (we’re LDS). I was just fascinated by the idea that he would probably have companions from America and would only be able to communicate with them in Spanish.

I just noticed a few grammar mistakes i made in my last post. Bleh. Anyways…

*Did you like the Korean grocery poetry jam thread? *
I liked it, i thought it was mostly fun. There were very very few things that i found mildly offensive though, like that part about us eating things that americans wouldn’t feed to hogs.

Damn. I used to have a whole list of questions I wanted to ask an asocial Korean teenager living in Guatemala, but I can’t think of any of them right now. All I can think of are the questions I have for octagenarian Jewish reindeer herders.

:smiley:

Thanks for the answers. Very interesting. Here are some more:

Do you spend a lot of time with Guatemalan people, or do you mostly interact with the diplomatic or Korean community?

What sort of a school do you go to?

If you are planning to go to college, what country would you like to go to college in? Why?

You are obviously fluent in English. What other languages do you speak?

Have you ever been to the U.S.? What did you think?

Does your daddy pay his parking tickets*?
*[sup]New York joke.[/sup]

*Do you spend a lot of time with Guatemalan people, or do you mostly interact with the diplomatic or Korean community? *
I don’t really spend a lot of time with people (hence asocial) but when i do i usually spend time with the koreans and other foreign kids from my school. I dont get too many opportunities to interact with the Guatemalan kids here.

*What sort of a school do you go to? *
I attend an American school named Colegio Maya Guatemala. It uses the american system, but it’s a rather small school (only about 350 students from pre-kinder to high school) so just think above average school in america lite.

*If you are planning to go to college, what country would you like to go to college in? Why? *
Probably in the US or even the UK because they speak english and have schools that are recognized everywhere in the world.

*You are obviously fluent in English. What other languages do you speak? *
I’m fluent in only English and Korean. I’m in the process from learning Spanish, but being asocial doesn’t really help my cause. I know koreans that speak english, korean, and spanish, but their korean and english is accented and i would imagine their spanish is too. Oh, and the accent they speak english with is a very unsexy mix of a korean and spanish accent.

Have you ever been to the U.S.? What did you think?
I visited there when i was in Canada and i just thought it was just like Canada except a little dirtier. (no offense)

Does your daddy pay his parking tickets? *
Huh?
I think some people aren’t asking questions because of the… er… unsualness of my situation. But you can just ask questions directed to one aspect (korean, in Guatemala, teen, asocial, etc)…
And i have nothing better to do with my time so ASK!

Okay, what’s it like to be a teenager?

[sub]That is a bit broad, perhaps I should ask why is it that you are asocial? Shy, aloof, bored, etc? And I want the truth, not what you tell your parents.[/sub]

Bingo. I want to know why you’re antisocial!

Geesh! You’re very impatient!

The parking ticket thing was a reference to something here in NY. Diplomats were not paying their parking tickets, so Giuliani required them to. Very controversial.

Thanks again for the answers.

*Okay, what’s it like to be a teenager? *
Not as much fun as those TV shows make it seem.

*why is it that you are asocial? *
Well, i don’t really relate to the other kids in my school, and i just thought changing myself to fit in wasn’t worth the trouble. Plus i’m very shy.

Sorry, that’s a cop out answer. [li]How do you spend your days? Nights? Weekends? []Do you have any friends? []How much time do you spend on line? []What interests you in school? []Do you have any interest at all in boys and/or girls your age, or other ages? []Who do you secretly have a crush on? []Who is your favourite teacher and why? []What do you like to eat? []What do you do when you get bored? []What are you good at doing? []What would you like to do when you get older? []What do you like to read? []What do you like to wear? []Do you like yourself[sub] with explanations[/sub]? []What is your relationship with your parents? siblings? other relatives? []Can you drive a car and are you allowed to in Guatemala? []How do you feel being a teenager away from Korea is different from being a teenage in Korea? Would you still be asocial if you lived in Korea?[/li]
That should be a good start of an answer to my original question. You may answer this point by point or in essay form if you wish. Be creative. Write legibly. You have 30 minutes. If you finish early then put down your pencil and lay your head on your desk.

Why do you think you’re shy (causes)?

a word of advice…screw shyness. I was a VERY shy kid itno my early teens. it aint worth it. go out and meet people, introduce yourself and talk to strangers. (ok not STRANGER strangers just folks you havent met yet) you will really appreciate it later in life when you can tell your collage friends about all the people you know from countries around the world, and personally I am kinda envious of ya.

that said do you play and games? online, board, or other?

I don’t know if you were serious when you asked all those questions, but i’ll answer all of them anyways.

*How do you spend your days? Nights? Weekends? *
At home. I used to go out on the weekends, but it seemed like i was more productive when i stayed home.

*Do you have any friends? *
I have acquaintances. I don’t i know anyone that i can really call a “friend”.

*How much time do you spend on line? *
I would say at least 2~3 hours each day. I don’t know if the internet is a curse or a blessing.

*What interests you in school? *
As in subjects? None are particularly interesting for me.

*Do you have any interest at all in boys and/or girls your age, or other ages? *
I’m interested in the girls my age but i don’t think i’ll bother acting on it. I figure i’ll start in college.

*Who do you secretly have a crush on? *
You, baby.

*Who is your favourite teacher and why? *
History teacher. He thinks the way i do. Sort of.

*What do you like to eat? *
Meat. And doubly so now because of this vegetarianism trend i see these days.

*What do you do when you get bored? *
Read, sleep, browse internet

*What are you good at doing? *
Writing (sort of), acting (sort of), and whining.

*What would you like to do when you get older? *
I’m not sure yet, but definately not an office job (i’m sure everyone said that in high school…)

*What do you like to read? *
I try to read the classics whenever i can, but i read other comtemporary stuff most of the times. The last book read was “Mostly Harmless” by Douglas Adams (may he rest in peace).

*What do you like to wear? *
the Usual crap teenagers wear, like baggy jeans, flannel shirt, blah blah blah…

Do you like yourself (with explanations)?
At times. When i don’t like myself is usually when i feel pathetic for not living up to the standards that I made for myself.

*What is your relationship with your parents? siblings? other relatives? *
Pretty ordinary by american (and korean) standards.

Can you drive a car and are you allowed to in Guatemala?
No, and yes.

*How do you feel being a teenager away from Korea is different from being a teenage in Korea? Would you still be asocial if you lived in Korea? *
I don’t know how i feel because i don’t know what to compare my feelings to. I think i would still be asocial in korea, and possibly even more so.

Why do you think you’re shy (causes)?
When i moved to Canada i couldn’t speak english and that was probably the original source because i remember being really out-going when i was little (or is that everyone?)

that said do you play and games? online, board, or other?
I used to be a big computer/video game fan but now i just play games when i’m desperately bored. Right now i’m playing Max Payne for the second time and Baldur’s Gate II

Of course I am serious. Not always, but right now, yes. And I hope you weren’t serious about the secret crush, since I am most definitely not a girl or your age. There are a few nice girls your age on the boards though, if you do need a little flirtation.

Anyway, that’s all I have time for right now, thanks for answering the questions. I’ll think of some more later. But what’s up with flannel shirts in Guatemala?

If you keep this up you may lose part of your asocial status here… :slight_smile:

{rice queen perks up his ears}

Hey, non-native - how you doin’?

Esprix

J.C. on a P.S., SPREE, aside from the fact that he doesn’t appear to be gay, don’t you think you should find out if he’s eighteen or thirteen before Joey Tribiani-ing him?

I’m not flaming you here, but jeez. Down, boy.

Alrightie…my mother was born in Guatemala, and I visited there about 14 years ago (myself–I was born & raised in the Chicago-land area)…and I’ve got a couple of questions:
[ul]
[li]Have you been to visit any of the Mayan ruins in the Northern part of Guatemala? If not, do you have any desire to?[/li][li]In your high school, have you learned anything about Mayan history, Pre-conquest Guatemalan history?[/li][li]What’s the deal with the Mayan calendar ending in 2012? I know how New Age/Archaic revival types interpret that, but do you know anything about how Mayan descendants interpret that?[/li]
[/ul]
My cousin goes to high school in Guatemala City …I’ll have to ask her if she’s heard of your school…