"24" Season 2, Episode 5 - 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. (SPOILERS)

Oh, you whiner! :wink:

I hate Kim’s scenes. Too bad she was too dumb to go away to college and be gone for this whole day. That’s all I’ll say about her though.

This episode was a lot more calm, I think it’s the first episode where nobody got killed (although Darcy died, so I guess that counts). I can’t wait until next week to see how Jack handles Nina. I accidentally saw the coming attractions, which I usually avoid because I like to be suprised.

I’m confused about Nina though. This episode, they talked about her like she simply sold out info on CTU and did all the bad things she did just for the money. From Season 1, I got the impression that she was not in it for the money, but she was actually part of some “higher power” terrorist group/country that was really pulling all the strings. Basically, the part where she called someone, and they called her by some foreign name, then she spoke in a foreign language and said that Jack was still alive and that her cover was blown and she had to get out of there. It seemed like she spent years infiltrating CTU and that she was part of the bad guys, not simply paid off. The whole relationship with Jack was probably just to get close to the man in charge.

Actually, I guess it makes sense, the CTU people don’t know about her foreign connections, so they probably assumed that she was just selling out for money, like the other girl. Anyway, did anyone else get that from the first season?

Who was it that chastised me last week for saying Kim is retarded?
Who else found it close to impossible to believe that Mason agreed to let Jack interrogate Nina? What kind of threat was “I’ll tell that you’re sick.”? By the time anybody would have a chance to do anything LA would be blown up or Mason would be dead.

And where did they get that really bad wig for Nina? And where is this high security prison that’s just 35 minutes from Downtown L.A.?

And why isn’t CTU moving into some emergency operations center?

Of course, I still want to watch to find out.

I enjoyed the 15 mins of it i saw before the power failure occured that knocked out a whole chunk of the Sunset district. Grrrr!!!

If you’re on broadband, you could download the episode via BitTorrent. It’s roughly 450 megs. You’ll have to Google for it since I’m not sure about the mods stance on linking to file-sharing programs.

I agree that Kim is getting really annoying. Why did she tell Shaggy about the nuke? Why didn’t she tell the cops the real story? It couldn’t be because she was afraid of being held up in LA because she didn’t even know about the nuke yet. She could’ve easily shown that she couldn’t have been responsible for the girl’s abuse. She wasn’t working there that long. Shit… she better get into her panties again or I’m really going to hate seeing her onscreen. Her boyfriend is a doofus, too. Shouldn’t he have a stoned Great Dane following him around?

Regarding Mason letting Jack handle Nina’s case; I read it as more of a resigned “Fine. Go ahead. She’s going to go free, so you might as well torture or kill her. As long as we get the information, I don’t care. What can the higher-ups do, fire me?”

Anyway, despite the criticisms, this show has me just as hooked as it did last year. Can’t wait for the next episode. Nina’s smirk owns my soul.

I’m guessing that Kim and her scruffy stud muffin are going to get caught trying to rescue Megan and sent to jail – hence necessitating a rescue by Jack and/or someone else from CTU. Perhaps in the process they’ll spill the beans on the nuke in the city, hence starting the panic that’s been so far avoided.

I’m so disappointed that Kim folded in the face of the abusive dad. Megan’s obviously got injuries that predate her tenure as the family nanny, so a discussion with the police could only have worked in Kim’s favor. At that point she didn’t realize the urgency of getting out of L.A., so it’s not like that’s a reason.

Otherwise, I agree that this episode was very tense. Nice interplay between Jack and Michelle. (And Reiko Aylesworth makes me purr.) Great scenes between Tony and Mason, and Tony and blondes’ Dad.

I think Reza’s innocent, and I think the sister who helped turn him in is going to be working with Jack to clear his name to get back in little sis’ good graces. (I loved her “Apology accepted. Now get out!”)

Kim has acted pretty stupid it is true, but why is that annoying or bad television? People frequently do stupid things. I guess some could say it she has acted unbelievably stupid, but that doesn’t seem obvious to me. Is it implausible at all that she would be very concerned about the little girl and what her boyfriend to help her? Is it really unrealistic that she would be intimidated by the father?

If you watched last season, then yes. I think Kim was a little tougher last year and she seems to be written completely different this year.

I watched last season, she did lots of stupid stuff.

Agreed. Kim operates almost purely on emotion, letting it override other factors like wisdom and gut instinct. She’s demonstrated many times that she’s really bad at thinking things through under pressure.

That said, she can be brave as hell, and if she ever manages to temper her ferocity with forethought, she could kick some major ass.

I guess I’m chalking last season up to me thinking of Kim as a silly teen who was rebelling against her dad, then she went and did some brave stuff at the end, helping keep her mom’s sanity and all. I expected that to be carried over to this season but haven’t seen it. She’s older and supposedly a little wiser, what with landing a job as a nanny I thought she’d have a better head on her shoulders. I’m just disappointed with her character so far.

Meanwhile, Jack kicks ass :slight_smile:

[hijack]Dude, I could walk to your house. 25th/Geary here. You ever attend Dopefests?[/hijack]

Thanks, orr, I’ll look into it.

I get pissed off every time the subplot with Kim comes on screen. They must have been short of narrative and needing to fill in some time.

And is it just me, or do they seem to get around LA particularly quickly? If traffic was really as light as that, then may be the city would be worth saving from a nuclear device. But probably not. :slight_smile:

I’d also like to throw a nice “I’m in love” over to Reiko Aylesworth. Got any plans for the next 24 hours, Reiko?

Hey, thanks, yosemitebabe – I didn’t know that. I get that channel, so that’s good to know. :slight_smile:

Hey, hands off! I saw her first! :smiley:
(see episode 3 and 4 threads…)

Don’t forget the chopper crash at the end. The foreign ambassador and company have apparently gone up in smoke.

You’re all set – I’m married. I’m allowed to look but not touch, which is sort of the perfect setup for a TV relationship.

I wasn’t completely clear on one thing: did Palmer give files to the ambassador that have now gone down with the helicopter? I assumed that the ambassador got to read files at the presidential getaway, but not take any with him. My wife thought that the ambassador had files on him.

Either way, I’m assuming that Palmer’s not going to get a look at any Anonistani intelligence files anytime soon.

I was confused about the chopper crash too. What does it mean for the intelligence exchange?

Honestly, Jack, don’t you know your daughter and your job well enough by now not to breach national security and tell her there’s a nuke in town?

They didn’t try very hard to revive Darcy, did they? Two zaps with the thingy, and it was over. The folks over at ER would have tried longer. :wink:

Jack told Michelle, “I used to run this place.” I missed season one, was he head of CTU last year, and now Mason is head? And how much damage did the bombs do if they killed 28 people but the phones still work?

How about this as a response to Nina…she obviously wants to live and get her freedom, she’s not a suicide bomber. How about telling her: You don’t want to give us all your intel?..Fine we’ll leave you in a cargo van in downtown LA, so you get to be radioactive toast as well.

Jack was indeed in charge of CTU last year. But as he was out in the field trying to solve the Palmer assassination plot, Mason was called in to run the office.

And after Jack understandably went inactive after his wife was murdered, Mason took over the job.

Presumably, Mason’s tenure will be brief.