Satin sheets: how does one manage?

Not the acrobatic stuff, thankyouverymuch. We recently put a set of satin sheets on the bed, and we would like some insight into how to keep them (and ourselves) on the bed while we’re sleeping.

Velcro? Skewers? Double-sided tape?

Please help.

You don’t. Satin sheets are one of those things that sounds better in theory than in practice.

I had some pink ones back in the 80’s…they lasted one night.

Bed rails? Mattress on the floor? A very large cradle?

Can’t help with the “falling out of bed” thing, but to keep the bottom sheet on the bed in lonely grandeur while you wallow around on the floor in a pile of bedclothes, you can use sheet fasteners. Like garter belts for sheets. Available at fine Dollar Stores and Wally Worlds everywhere.

I don’t know if you can get these where you are but when I used satin sheets (mmm, satin…) I found I fixed this problem with little plastic clips called simply ‘sheet holders’. I found them accidentally in a local dollar store. They came in packs of 4 and I found I needed 2 packs to make it work really well.

Ok, found some online.

In case the picture isn’t clear, they slide very tightly over the thick edging part* of the mattress, the bottom edge, and trap the sheet between it and the holder.

These worked very well for me. The only problem is you have to make sure you put them on forcefully enough in the first instance so that they don’t loosen after a few days and fall off.

*I don’t know any mattress/sheet terminology. Please excuse my appalling personal terms.

I don’t understand the problem. I’ve been sleeping on satin sheets for years now, and I’ve never fallen off the bed. I love them, especially in the summer when my (non-air-conditioned) apartment is warm even at night. Admittedly, they aren’t as great during the winter but that’s why I have blankets.

Let me tell you whut.

Never, ever wear satin pajamas to bed on satin sheets.

And the damned things are COLD in winter, without an electric blanket.

>Sigh.< Thanks anyway, all.

We do have fasteners on the fitted sheets, BTW. I guess I could plug the flat sheet into those at the foot of the bed, anyway. Overall, I see that I’m going to have to get used to the idea of making the bed from scratch every day.

e-e-e-evil thought: kaylasmom happens to have a pair of Victoria’s Secret silk jammies that she doesn’t wear very often, and not once since I put these sheets on. I think I’ll start talking up how cold the nights are getting for the next couple of days…

Dated a gal in college who had some. No traction whatsoever; it was almost as bad as a waterbed (for different reasons).