What was the bad behaviour that earned Inkleberry a warning?

Captor’s sexual tastes are big fat “meh” to me. The political views he expressed in this thread, though, made me uneasy.

But wasn’t that RolandDwhatever guy banned for posting lots of TMI stuff? Why couldn’t people just ignore him?

Yeah, it’s a bit of a hijack, but it’s what I hope is a common sense view. Too often when personalities get involved, sense flies (or gets thrown) right out the window.

My point is still valid; if you don’t care for someone’s point of view, why would you voluntarily read what they have to say?

We’d prefer you put people on the ignore list rather than orchestrate campaigns against them.

We also are not fond of business being dragged from one site to another, especially just to stir the pot and create controversy or uproar; that’s not news.

We’ve never been fond of “let’s you and him fight,” the popular board game indulged elsewhere. We reduce or downright eliminate it here whenever possible.

It’s my job to find ways to make this experience better for all concerned. Sometimes it means pointing out stuff that gets overlooked when people are focused on disagreeing and not so much on solutions to a problem.

Just saying.

TubaDiva
who hates people who say “Just saying.”

Sorry, but only three words come to mind: Pot, Kettle, Black.

Exactly.

Was it pure coincidence that this was already being discussed on the anonymous boards the same day of inkleberry’s OP? Was it just a mighty coincidence her links almost exactly matched the order as they were given in the anon board entry? I didn’t look outside last night to be sure, but were the stars aligned correctly?

Point is, whether it’s inkleberry spearheading the imported effort to attack a poster, or whether it’s anyone else, troubles originating at other places don’t belong here.

Ooh, another hijack! Two in one day in ATMB, that’s unusual.

A totally different situation altogether and not applicable to merely “there’s someone I dislike or disagree with.”

The poster in question made it clear after a while that he was not really a regular inquiring member of the community. He was more about stirring up controversy, getting people upset, pushing other people’s buttons . . . and he was warned to knock it off . . . and he chose to continue . . . and after several warnings on our part and continuation on his, we chose to ban him. Not much choice at that point, really.

When management counsels you to do something (or not to do something, as the case may be), it’s meaningful. It’s important that you pay attention. If you choose to disregard what a moderator or administrator tells you about policies and procedures – especially if this is brought to your attention multiple times and you continue as you were, – you do so at your risk.

TubaDiva

Seems a warning was a bit much, but as a Pit Thread - it was pretty useless. I vote ‘blah’ all around. I mean, someone could open a pit thread complaining about my numerous comic-related posts - and they are numerous - since this is not a “comic related messageboard”. That would be a pretty touchy and intolerant thing to do, though, and pretty much a waste of bandwidth.

Huh?

TubaDiva

I’m still confused as to why this is being seen as “dragging in from another forum” problem. All the links, cites, quotes were from SDMB posts.

The topic was about an SDMB poster, specifically about his SDMB posts, and all the examples were from those posts. So what if Inkleberry got the idea or got the links from reading something else? How can one parcel off one’s mind like that? It seems almost like she committed a thoughtcrime of some kind.

Okay, two more words: Manager. Stage.
Whoopsies! Got 'em in the wrong order!

I agree with the decision to discourage members from lifting posts from one of the various hate boards and repost them here to cause a “trainwreck”.

Over on “that other board” some posters apparently decided they didn’t like Evil Captor and that, er, “community” did some research and came up with the rather impressive set of links that inkleberry subsequently posted in the Pit.

No, I think it’s more of a case of:

I think that’s exactly what happened here. As I stated above, the reason for the pitting (lame as it was) had nothing to do with the thread’s closure. The real reason is that the thread was obviously going to turn into a poster-vs-poster fight with people taking up sides and becoming a train wreck, all while the people at that other board laughed their asses off.

Not just apples and oranges; apples and watermelons.

There is a world of difference between someone who writes about a fetish and someone who solicits for a potential felony while on the board.

One of the hallmarks of the Straight Dope Message Board – and Cecil’s Canon, for that matter – is allowing discussion on a far-reaching range of topics. Some of these topics can be controversial; not all are pleasant or agreeable. It is not difficult to find subjects other members of the board personally find disturbing or unsettling or disgusting. We’ve never made a pretense of being a Sunday School board; this is not your grandma’s message board. (That being said, it ain’t, say, Penthouse Forum either and there are limits to everything.)

For the most part, if you find something or someone you personally dislike, your best bet is to avoid postings by that person. That does not mean if you see something that is against board policy you should just turn away; the staff can’t see every single post on the board and sometimes stuff gets past us. You can send any of us email at any time; we encourage our members to report what they consider to be inappropriate material. We discourage people from attacking other members of the board or organizing campaigns against them.

TubaDiva

I gotta call sliced deli meats on that one.

• I myself was in the thread that picked on that one jerk who got banned - the one with the Seinfeld character’s name, but not VanDelay - he’d said some assholeish stuff in my thread about yelling at babies.

• And there was the one where Diane and Indygrrl went to town re: tossing a cigarette butt, that was a hoot.

• About a zillion threads ripping on Liberal.

• The whole IDigBadBoys melodrama.

• Shoot, right now there’s one complaining about people who say “um”.

There’ve been plenty of trainwrecks that came about b/c someone started complaining & it was pointed out to them that they were an idiot & they appealed to a Mod who said, basically, “tough nookies”.

Inkleberry’s egregious error was to openly admit she’s scoping out the 'nonnies. Big whoop. If their point isn’t valid, let it be defeated in an open discussion.

Clicking on “Find all posts by Evil Captor” yields the exact same list no matter whose mouse does the clicking.

Oh noes!!!1! A c0nSpirAcY!!!11!1

But isn’t that what happens whenever one poster pits another? Shouldn’t there then be a rule that you cannot pit another poster? Or am I misunderstanding what the Pit is for?

So does that mean there is a rule prohibiting the subject of a Pit thread being the targeting of a particular SDMB poster?

Difference of opinion is one thing; it’s legitimate to call someone out for discussion, even in the Pit, where it’s somewhat more heated but still has some rules to it.

It’s another thing altogether to attack someone simply because what they like is something you dislike.

Again, don’t confuse this with observing what you consider to be behavior that violates message board rules; that should always be reported to staff here on the board.

TubaDiva

You may be well advised to stop over to TBTMNBN and be sure that no one is flaming your Pittee over there.

Regards,
Shodan

Tuba,

Just saying.

::runs off and hides behind tree::