The Celebrity Death Pool 2003

It’s time once again for the sickest thread on the board – the Celebrity Death Pool 2003!

The Rules:

You pick 13 celebrities whom you predict will die within the calendar year 2003. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins the undying admiration of the SDMB. :smiley:

New rule: All picks must be date-stamped no later than 12-31-2002. (Please don’t wait until the very last minute to post your submissions.) I will post an alphabetical master list soon after the New Year and keep a hard copy for reference. If we have another board failure…well, we’ll take a vote on what to do. I mean, it couldn’t happen twice, could it? Ha ha ha ha! sigh

To be valid, picks must not be a) already dead; b) fictional characters; c) non-human; d) under age 18 at death; e) a registered member of the SDMB.

Your picks must specify a name: listing “any of the guys in N*Sync” as a pick will be ignored.

Persons under sentence of death will be valid for scoring points only if they die by means other than official execution.

Any poster who kills or otherwise contributes to the death of any celebrity mentioned in this thread will be disqualified. It’s just a game, people. The only exceptions to this rule would be deaths caused by those posters serving as members of the police or armed forces of any country, in the line of duty. So, yes, people like Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden would be valid picks in that context.

Editing your choices: be careful! You can make changes to your list before the end of the year, but it has to be clear which names are your final choices. If any of your picks dies before the end of the year, you may submit another pick by 12-31-2002. If you do not submit another name, I will submit the rest. You can have no more than 13 picks. If you pick more than 13 (or if any of your picks is otherwise invalid); I may ask for clarification; otherwise I will submit the first 13 names on your list.

Since “celebrity” is loosely defined, when in dispute, the posters of the SDMB will rule on celebrity status by a date to be determined soon after the pick’s death. My guess is that if major news media outlets report your death, you’re a celebrity for our purposes.

Remember, it’s easy to come up with a list of really old celebrities, but you could pick a lot of low-scoring older people and still not win. Many posters prefer to pick people who are known to be ill, self-destructive, or just really unlucky. :smiley:

Additional awards:

The “Quantity Not Quality” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.

The “Inside Track With the Grim Reaper” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick a celebrity that no one else picked.

The “Opening Kickoff” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2003.

The “Final Hours” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2003.

My thanks to Little Nemo who created this perennial thread and its rules, which I am essentially copying.

OK, I’m in. Sign me up for the following, please (in no particular order):

Zsa Zsa Gabor
The Pope
Christopher Lee
Ronald Reagan
Nancy Reagan
Osama Bin Laden
Marlon Brando
Elizabeth Taylor
General Pinochet
David Blaine
Juan Pablo Montoya
Roger Moore
Richard Kiel

I was going to add Bob Hope until I realised I’d score zero points for it… :frowning:

If you need clarification on who any of the above are, then let me know.

Props to a35362 to picking up the torch (or scythe, I suppose); and shout-out to Little Nemo for shouldering the thankless task for the last 2 years.

I’ll have to go some to beat my 2002 score (70 to date; all from the unfortunate “Left Eye” Lopes); here goes:

1. Gordon Lightfoot
  2. Farley Mowat
  3. Pope JP 2
  4. Augusto Pinochet
  5. Fidel Castro
  6. Gerald Ford
  7. Idi Amin
  8. Carol Channing
  9. Dennis Hopper
  10. Maureen O’Hara
  11. Mollie Sugden
  12. Dick Cheney
  13. Olivia De Havilland
  1. Marlon Brando, actor
  2. Queen Elizabeth, Queen
  3. Robert Stack, actor
  4. Muhammed Ali, sports figure
  5. Katherine Hepburn, actress
  6. Robert Downey Jr., actor
  7. Ray Bradbury, author
  8. Dick Clark, ageless wonder (what DOES he do, anyway??)
  9. Michael Jackson, singer and general curiosity
  10. Dick Cheney, Vice President
  11. Maggie Smith, actress
  12. Winona Ryder, actress
  13. Elizabeth Taylor, actress

Oh, [bleep]. It occurs to me, FWIW, that my new rule regarding the submission deadline of a date stamp is meaningless as stated because of time zones. D’oh!

We have members all over the planet, from Australia to Hawaii, and I would have no way of knowing whether your submissions were actually submitted during 2002 or 2003 if you wait until 12-31 (or 31-12, for you furriners). I just want a solid cutoff point for submissions.

So here’s the deal: you have to have your picks submitted no later than 12-31-2002 Chicago time. Since the “Straight Dope” column originated in the Chicago Reader, and since I’m also here in the U.S. Central Time zone, I’m calling it for Chicago. Chicago is six hours behind Greenwich, so when Big Ben is tolling midnight on New Year’s Eve, it’s 6 p.m. in the Windy City.

Of course, if you don’t wait until then, it’s a non-issue.

Here is a little list that I like to call “The 13 People Who Will Live Through The End of 2003, Just Because They Ended Up on My List”:

1. Ronald Reagan
  2. Steve Irwin
  3. Joe Piscopo
  4. Arnold Schwarzenegger
  5. John Larroquette
  6. Loretta Swit
  7. Jack Palance
  8. James Garner
  9. Al Pacino
  10. Leonardo DiCaprio
  11. Candace Cameron
  12. Johnny Cash
  13. George Jones

Isn’t there a rule about not picking people that are already known to be terminally ill?

Where’s the fun in that?

Yeah! My favorite part of the year…give the gift of life!
**a35362 ** Thanks for picking up the heavy mantle of Grim Reaperness. I thought about doing it, but …feh…well…there you were sitting so purty. I thank you profusely.

**Little Nemo ** as a token of our - meaning mine - appreciation, I would like to offer you an all expenses paid trip on Braniff Airlines to Cuba…what? you mean they are out of business…and no American’s are allowed into Fidel-land? .Nuts.
Eh, how about a pat on the back? :smiley: (Seriously, you rock!)
That said, I would like to make a suggestion to those who are submitting to put in the Date of Birth ( DOB) of the **SDMBDP2003 ** candidate, that way, it will be easier for not only us - the dementors-in-waiting -but for our new GAME SHOW HOST to calculate points.

As a bonus round, no points will be offered, but it could be a tie breaker, to put down a cause of death (COD). What Fun!

Hi. I live under a rock.
Who are these people?
Just curious

Farley Mowat wrote Woman in the Mists–about Diane Fossey (Gorillas in the Mist).

1. Eminem, singer
  2. Ozzy Osbourne, singer
  3. Ian MacKellan, actor
  4. the Pope
  5. Ronald Reagan, former President
  6. Katherine Hepburn, actress
  7. Marlon Brando, actor
  8. James Doohan, actor
  9. Paul Newman, actor
  10. Charlton Heston, actor
  11. Billy Bob Thornton, actor
  12. Michael Jackson, singer
  13. Mickey O’Rourke, actor

D’OH!! Make that last one Rourke . :rolleyes:

Ok…here goes.

1. Ronald Reagen
  2. The Pope
  3. Howard Stern
  4. Johnny Cash
  5. Don Rickles
  6. Charlie Watts
  7. Johnny Carson
  8. Charles Manson
  9. Yassir Arafat
  10. Bob Dylan
  11. Richard Pryor
  12. Michael J. Fox
  13. B.B. King

It bothers me that some people seem to simply copy others. So I’ll be posting my brilliant picks way late.

(Actually, until this year, being on my list was as close to immortality as a person could get.)

Farley Mowat wrote Never Cry Wolf, which was made into a movie with Charles Martin Smith as a wolf researcher. He’s written lots of books about life in the Arctic.

Mollie Sugden is the actress who played Mrs. Slocombe on Are You Being Served?.

I’m not worried about getting DOB on the submissions, 'cause a lot of Internet sources are contradictory and I figure that stuff is reported when the celeb dies anyway. I’m more concerned that someone will name someone I’ve never heard of and they’ll turn out to be already dead, or something.

1. Tony Bennett
  2. Hugh Hefner
  3. Julia Child
  4. Rip Torn
  5. Johnny Cash
  6. Johnny Carson
  7. Bobby Brown
  8. Umberto Eco
  9. Fred Phelps
  10. Bill Cosby
  11. Neil Young
  12. Don King
  13. Liza Minelli
  1. Sharon Osbourne, wife
  2. Jimmy Carter, ex-president
  3. Prince Charles, heir to British throne
  4. Ariel Sharon, Israeli PM
  5. Rudy Giuliani, former NYC mayor
  6. Larry Flynt, publisher
  7. Richard Pryor, comedian
  8. Mariah Carey, singer
  9. Kevin Spacey, actor
  10. Andy Dick, actor/comedian
  11. Jimmy Connors, tennis player
  12. Tommy Morrison, boxer
  13. Tarik Aziz, Iraqi deputy PM
    I was going to include Strom Thurmond, but, alas, he turns 100 on Thursday.

Happy

Time for some silly guesses again.

1. Michael Jackson (Not sure anymore :confused: )
  2. Clint Eastwood (Actor)
  3. Don Williams (Country singer)
  4. Margaret Thatcher (Former UK PM)
  5. Larry King (TV Show host)
  6. Bob Barker (Game Show host)
  7. Robin Williams (Comedian/Actor)
  8. Dick Francis (Writer)
  9. Queen Elizabeth II (Royalty)
  10. Ronald Reagan (Actor/Politician)
  11. Billy Graham (Actor/Evangelist)
  12. George Jones (Country Singer)
  13. Dan Rather (News Anchor)

Warren Zevon
Sharon Osbourne
Keith Richards
Dennis Rodman
Bob Newhart
George Michael (the singer)
Paul Rubens
Willie Nelson
Dick Chaney
Hulk Hogan
Sinead O’Connor
Jerry Lewis (but only after Labor Day!)
Senator Edward Kennedy. (It’s about time for another Kennedy, eh?)

Marilyn Manson is my backup pick, in case any of the above can’t linger around another 29 days.