Ladies, would you work at Hooters?

I’ve been waiting tables throughout college. As of right now I’m unemployed and having a hard time finding a job (summers are slow in a college town). Several people have suggested that I apply at the local Hooters. I’ve talked to a few former Hooters girls and they’ve said that they averaged between $100-200 a night. That would mean I could pay rent with just two nights work. Hell, that would double what I currently have in my bank account.

As of right now I’m torn between a potential $2k a month (more than I’ve ever made) and my hatred of orange shorts and shaving my legs.

So, would you work there? (Or at least even consider applying?)

I’d do it. After months of looking for a job, I’d do just about anything that would come somewhat close to paying my rent. It really isn’t that different than any other kind of service work. Plus, you can use the money you save to really get ahead.

No way. There’s more to life than a bit of extra cash, like my dignity for example.

In australia we don’t put up with that kind of stuff so much. They opened a hooters here and it didn’t last…too many complaints…thankfully

No way. There’s more to life than a bit of extra cash, like my dignity for example.

In australia we don’t put up with that kind of stuff so much. They opened a hooters here and it didn’t last…too many complaints…thankfully.

No. I could find a job I enjoyed more that payed well - maybe not as well, but I also would save some years on my life by not getting pissed off daily at patrons. (In retrospect, this also applies to technical support call centers…)

If you have a high tolerance level for assholes, go for it. Don’t let em push ya around :wink: I hope you make a good wage and don’t get overly harassed.

Venoma, I’d say that waiting tables by itself requires a high tolerance for assholes. I’ve seen the worst of people over the last four years.

There’s also a no touch policy that the company strongly enforces. Would that change anyone’s mind?

Uh, just do a search on google; meter maids/ Austrailia and see what you come up with.

For those of you who are to lazy its about these girls dressed up in skimpy bikinis that go around and pay peoples expired meters. They get paid buy the local business owners to help drum up business from tourist.

I’d give a link but I don’t think its allowed. Or at the very least pushing the limit.

Anyway sorry for the highjack.

As to the OP I’d say go for it! You can always quit if you don’t like it.

It’s not like you’d be a stripper or something; you’d be a waitress. No shame in that at all. As for the skimpy uniform, there are plenty of restaurants that make their waitstaff wear sexy clothes to titillate (pardon the pun) the patrons. Hooters just has a mystique about it. :slight_smile:

My experience with Hooters is limited to only a couple visits, and while I admit to finding their dress annoying (not really distracting, just … orange!) the waitresses that served us were extremely nice and good at what they did. Thus a bigger tip.

I have no idea if the places get rowdy at night, but I might suggest trying to work the lunch crowd. Not as much money in tips, maybe, but also not so many people getting drunk and whatnot.

In my mind, the place is more about the food anyway.

I’ve only ever been to one Hooters. Oddly, it was the one in downtown Nashville, near Printer’s Alley.

Hooters didn’t seem that much different from any other chain restaurant to me. It was nearly midnight and the crowd was not rowdy. Apparently, one didn’t have to be particularly well endowed in the boob department to obtain employment there.

The chicken wings were pretty good, but anybody going into Hooters for an erotic experience would be disappointed, IMHO.

Speaking with reference to the one I went into, I wouldn’t have a problem with a female family member working there. If it pays that well, I’d say go for it.

I also totally agree with John Carter of Mars - to me it’s not much more than a typical chain restaurant. Sure, you’ll see some T&A, but it’s not necessarily an atmosphere that leads polite people to openly stare at the cleavage. So if that’s true for most people, then you should feel no more threatened there than at other similar restaurants.

This is odd because my hubby and I had a conversation about Hooters last night. I had never been to one until recently and I was forced into going with a group of business associates. I had no problem with the outfits…there were some really beautiful girls working there.

However, I HATED the attitude. I don’t know about this “no-touch” policy but let me assure you these girls draped themselves over my clients and my partner at the table until I was embarassed for them.

I’m talking they couldn’t walk by to fill up our glasses or ask if we were okay without popping down in someone’s lap or leaning over the table until their breasts were practically sitting next to the appetizers.

It wasn’t just flirting or harmless fun to try and generate a better tip. I felt as if I was in a brothel without the sex. (Guess that doesn’t make it a brothel…huh???) :smack:

To make it worse, there was a guy there at another table by himself who obviously was a “regular” and was not a very attractive fella. I was walking to the restroom and I overheard one of the managers telling a group of the girls, “I don’t care…go over there and talk to him and spend some time with him…” I then watched the girl go sit down at the table with the guy and spend a few minutes talking to him, flirting with him and laying across the table where he got quite the nice view of her breasts.

I was EXTREMELY uncomfortable and I don’t embarass easily.

(Sorry for the monopolizing of the thread …)

Wow! That’s really awful, Aries. I’ve never had the draping-of-waitress issue, and I don’t think I’ve seen it, but it’s terrible if the manager was not only condoning but also requiring it. Ewwwwww

I was absolutely shocked. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was the only female at a table full of male clients and business associates. I am usually “one of the guys” but I was not a happy camper during this lunch.

I said something in the car on the way back to our office to my partner, who is male, and he said something about me just being jealous of the girls that were there.

That was not the case at all. 1) Like I said, there were some really attractive girls there. 2) I am very happy with my appearance and could have put on the tank top and orange shorts and been a great waitress…without the draping myself over the table deal.

Oh, well…live and learn. I won’t be visiting Hooters any time soon and the minute I got home I said to my poor husband…“If I ever hear that you went to a Hooters for a meal I will seriously hurt you.” :wink:

I’ve never been to one, but I have a feeling I would be very unhappy working in such an atmosphere (to say nothing of the waitressing!) I mean, c’mon. Did they name it Hooters because TitWorld was too blatant? I also admit to having…shall we say…“issues” due to my teeny cup size. No way my fragile little esteem could handle it.

Back to the original OP…I think if you are comfortable with your body in the uniform and don’t mind being oggled then go for it.

My beef was with the behavior in the one Hooters I visited.

Good luck!

I don’t know anyone who has worked there but I’ve always wondered about what kind of working environment (I mean with respect to the management and kitchen staff, which is probably 95% male, not the customers) there would be at a restaurant whose entire premise rests on “Come look at our pretty, big-breasted waitresses while you eat. It’s okay to stare! That’s what they’re here for!!!”

There are many, many other restaurants where you can make $100-$200 a night. Where you don’t need to hang out of your shirt to do it. Frankly, if I were willing to have crowds of strange men staring at my half-clothed body, I’d probably just be a stripper in a G-string bar and make LOTS more than $100 a night.

I guess I’ve gone to the only low-key Hooters in the world. We’ve eaten there several times, including with our daughter, and we never witnessed anything remotely off-putting. I have noticed that some of the waitresses wear scantier outfits than others - I’m assuming it’s a personal choice rather than a management dictate.

As to the original question, no I wouldn’t work there. Then again, I never worked in any food service job by choice. But even if I did, I don’t think I’d work at Hooters. It’s so not me.

About the only difference between Hooters and other restaurants is that they’re honest about it. I mean, really, guys, have you never been to other trendy eateries? Waitresses are commonly uniformed in tight shirts and miniskirts.

I’d rather strip. Screw handling food and taking orders. At least when you’re a stripper you call the shots. You can pick and choose who you dance for. I can imagine the fun the Hooter’s clientele have ordering the waitstaff around. Nope.