Annoying Things People Do At Fast Food Restaurants

I hear it often:

“I NEED a cheeseburger and chocolate shake.”

First of all, judging from the size 58" waist on those pants, you do not NEED that food or drink, and secondly, who taught you how to place an order. How about, “I would like…” or “Could I have…” or “May I have…” or even the blunt, “I want…”.

The other thing that annoys me is waiting in line for 15 minutes and then, when the cashier asks the idiot in front of me, “What would you like?” the idiot FINALLY looks at the menu and goes…“Hmmm…”. I mean, what the hell was he doing in line for the last 15 minutes? Is it that difficult to pick between the Jumbo Burger or the Jumbo Cheeseburger? We’re not talking deciding which gentic code to decipher…just pick a damn burger and be done with it!

Thank you.
I feel better now.

From a Wendy’s manager:

No, it really isn’t cute when you order a big mac, a whopper, onion rings, or mcnuggets. We do not sell those, because we are not McDonalds or Burger King. We are Wendy’s. Please check the sign out front before ordering.

It’s also not cute when you call *8 freakin times * to ask if we deliver. No, we do not. Yes, I’m positive. Get a hobby kid.

And, as a side annoyance, we had a lady come through drive thru last night and order a triple combo, biggie sized, with “extra extra extra cheese!” We asked how many pieces of cheese she wanted…8. She also ordered a BLT salad, with extra dressing. And the kicker…the drink with the combo? Diet coke. Sorry hon, I don’t think that diet coke is going to counteract the 8,000 calories you just consumed with that meal…

What annoys me is big orders that aren’t grouped by type. “Uh, I’d like a happy meal, 3 burgers, 4 #3 combos, another happy meal, 2 fries, 3 burgers, 2 large fries…”

Argggggh! Groups, please - they have enough to keep on their minds. I have been there, trying to keep up with the fry timer, and do higher math to compile your order AND make correct change. ARGGGGGGH!

“I need…” is my least favorite expression. Nothing made me cringe more in my retail days than some lazy toad waddling up to the counter “I need a bag of cat litter.” Good for you buddy. You needs you some manners too.

People who bring their kids. And the kids won’t shut the f*ck up. And Jr. over their has been given 3 cheeseburgers witha biggie size fry and large coke. And the fat little bastard needs more.

I just had this today – from both sides of the counter. For some reason, I decided to hit Taco Bell today. There was no one at the counter, so I stepped up to the register, bill in hand, ready to order. The chick with the drive-thru headset steps up and gives me the patented Taco Bell Worker Slack-Jawed Stare. I say hello (she hadn’t said anything) and start to give my order. She cuts me off by saying that someone else’s order was still waiting so she could finish the transaction. At this point I notice two young adult types standing at the nearby table. "Hey, uh, Mom . . . " and one of them starts wandering off toward the attached gas-station section of the building. Mom finally moseys over, she and the cashier chuckle about something, and she hands over a $100 dollar bill to pay, getting $93 + coins in change.

When this was completed and I finally had my turn to order (AGAIN), there was no “thanks for waiting,” “sorry about that,” or any such nicety from either the cashier or the woman who had held up the next person’s order by NOT BEING AT THE COUNTER.

I don’t know why I keep going back to Taco Bell. I don’t mind the food, but there is just a universal rudeness about the place.

I can’t believe I committed one of my own pet peeves. Please strike “dollar” from the abomination “$100 dollar bill.”

See how pissed off I am?? :dubious:

I just want to go on record as predicting that this will be a very long thread.

Watching the eating habits of many habitues of fast food joints. Do you really need to wear so much of it? To eat in such a vile fashion, mouth open and drooling? And, if you absolutely must bring your children…keep them under control will you

I could list a million things customers would do to piss me off when I worked at Burger King. Here are some problems that I can remember dealing with all too often:

[ul]
[li]Pulling right up to the window instead of ordering at the speaker Why is this a problem? If you think it’s faster and more convenient, it isn’t. It messes up the entire sequence of things, especially during a busy rush. Usually when someone did this, another car would stop at the speaker right behind them. Since we would hear the beep we’d take their order before dealing with the schmuck who went straight to the window.[/li][li]Unloading huge amounts of change-. Fast food restaurants are not banks. We didn’t have the time to count out all the pennies, nickels and dimes these people would dump on the counter. In drive-through I wouldn’t even bother to count it. I figured it can’t be that far off. Go find a Coinstar machine if you’re tired of lugging all that change around![/li][li]Specifying condiments after placing order- Don’t complain about the wait if the people in back have to make your Whopper™ all over again because you said “no mayonnaise” after you ordered.[/li][li]Presenting coupons after placing order- The employees must know about these so they can be entered into the register. If they are told after hitting TOTAL they will need to void the ticket and re-enter the whole thing (at least this is how it worked at the Burger King I worked in).[/li][li]Asking why something isn’t on the menu- It just isn’t. Chances are the employees don’t know why, nor do they give a crap. Even if they did know, asking about it won’t change anything.[/li][li]Attempting to order breakfast, being politely told that breakfast is over, and then being asked if I’d seen Falling Down- Yes, as a matter of fact I did see that movie. Doesn’t matter. You still ain’t gettin’ breakfast, pal, unless you want them to dig the old eggs and sausage out of the garbage.[/li][li]Threatening to never come back- If you’re being a prick, the employees will be damn glad to know you’ll never be back and they certainly won’t miss you.[/li][li]Not having your mind made up when it’s your turn to order- If you were standing in line you had plenty of time to look at the menu. There’s no excuse for this. Some places, if not most, even provide a menu board back from the speaker to look at if you’re in the drive-through.[/li][li]Multiple separate tickets in drive-through- We could handle two separate orders for the same car, sometimes three. Anything beyond this, please, for the love of God, go inside. Also, if you have a really big order, it’s not fair to the one guy behind you who just wants a hamburger and a drink to wait for the drive-through person to assemble six kids meals and four Whopper™/fry combos, each Whopper™ made its own way, for a family of eight crammed into a mini-van.[/li][li]Closing time is closing time- Don’t go banging on the doors or the drive-through window after the outside lights have been shut off. Don’t ask if they have any leftovers, either; they’re promptly thrown away. Go to a 24-hour place if you must.[/li][/ul]

Please don’t seat your dirty snot-nosed child on the counter where they will shortly be placing my food.

I hate it when people leave all their rubbish on the table after they have finished-it’s inconsiderate and rude to the staff, who have to clean it up because they were too lazy to and it’s also very rude and inconsiderate to the other customers, especially if the place is crowded and that’s the only free table. The new customer is then stuck with cleaning up the rubbish.

It always seems to be yobbish teenage boys who do it mostly. It’s very arrogant.

(I know that in many American fast food places, there is a cultural thing that the staff clean the tables up and that it is expected. ‘bussing the table’ I believe it is called, however in the UK it is up to the customer to do it, and so my comments are for the latter and not the former!)

I always make a point of putting my rubbish in the bin. And the staff members often smile and say ‘thankyou’ to me like they really mean it! and they do! I like that.

At fast food restaurants, I believe it’s generally accepted even in the States that you’re not paying for table service, and thus should clean up after yourself. So people that do that here are jerks too.

My pet peeve from back in the days when I worked at Hungry Jacks (Aussie version of Burger King) was cleaning pickles off the windows. If you don’t want pickles on your burger then ask for a burger without pickles but please don’t play frisbee with them.

You can thank the movie Wayne’s World for that.

I’d like to take a moment to defend the Diet Coke.

Like many fat people, I usually order a Diet Coke with my ridiculously fattening fast food order.

No, I’m not ignorant. I know that what I’m eating is fattening, and that the Diet Coke is not going to counterbalance it or make it count as slimming.

It’s just that, like many fat people, I’ve spent plenty of time dieting, and gotten used to the taste of Diet Coke. It’s kind of like the difference between regular milk and skim milk. Now that I’m used to it, regular Coke tastes kind of thick and syrupy. I drink the Diet out of habit and preference, not because I think it will make me lose weight when I’m eating at McDonalds.

You know, I’m more or less in agreement with those who argue that certain venues should be havens of adult-only peace and civility (or drunken obscenity–whatever). But McDonald’s? Okay, they should stay in their seats and keep the noise levels within city ordinances, and keep their little butts off the counters, but other than that? Suck it up.

Oh, god, my mom would ALWAYS do this when we went to get fast food. But she wasn’t being cute, she genuinely couldn’t be arsed to notice which restaurant we were at. It was so obnoxious.

I know we just had a similar thread, but people who go into McDonald’s, get in line, and stand at the register for ten minutes staring at the menu. If you’ve never been to a McDonald’s before, you have an excuse. But c’mon. Burgers, fries. It’s been around 50 years or so.

Another thing about the diet coke with the 3 double cheese burgers with extra cheese. If no frys were ordered and especially if no ketchup on the burger, it is very possible that that person is on a low carb diet, which could be for weight loss or other medical benefits such as controllng diabedies.

I hope this isn’t too much of a hijack, but what the hell is fry sauce? Every few days somebody wants fry sauce, and we don’t have it (I relayed the request to the managers and people around me, who confirmed its nonexistence). I’m sure it’s frustrating for the customer as well, but it has escalated from a non-issue to a great mystery in my head. What is fry sauce?

I could go on for hours, but my main pet peeve is people who can’t be arsed to be aware of their surroundings. If the drink tower is three feet to your left, don’t waste my time and yours by giving me highly specific orders like “Half Coke, half Diet Coke, light ice…” because you’re getting it yourself, brain trust. Some things are not on our menu, but if they are on the menu right in front of you, don’t pester me for the price again unless you are illiterate. The numbers that just appeared on the screen in front of you indicate how much money you owe me, don’t make me repeat it four times unless you are, as previously noted, illiterate.

Today we had a gem of a customer. I set up someone’s order for them and called it out: “McChicken with light mayo, two cheeseburger meal, no pickles!” This guy barks out, “That’s to go!” I apologize for the inconvenience and bag it up for him. He starts rooting around in the bag and saying stuff like, “I didn’t order fries. She charged me for fries and I didn’t order fries. And I wanted two DOUBLE cheeseburgers. WITH pickles. And what is this? A McChicken?” Finally he set it down in disgust and said, “I don’t know what this is.”

Thank you for admitting that, sir. That is because it is NOT YOUR FREAKING ORDER. It is not even particularly CLOSE to your order. Stop barking at us because you can’t remember what you ordered and/or watch your receipt to see when we put it into a bag of food. We eventually sorted it out with no apology from him to us or the people whose food he manhandled (and we replaced). Luckily this doesn’t happen very often.

Oh, and unless I took your order, don’t ask me, “Is this my food?” when I put it out and call the number/contents. Why would I know if this is your food? I usually counter with, “Did you order a [blah blah blah]?” If their answer is yes, then my answer is yes. Otherwise, no. I am not hovering over the cashier’s shoulder and matching orders to faces.

As to leaving your dishes, for the love of little fishes, please don’t. My rule of thumb (when dining out and working): Leave your dishes, leave a tip. Clean it up yourself, don’t leave a tip.

(I went on a bit, didn’t I? I don’t hate my job or anything. But it was a long day.)