Reagan on the $10?

Effort to put Reagan on the $10 bill

I’m not going to debate if the Gipper should be on a bill or coin so let’s just pretend he’s going to be. Which bill or coin do you think would be best to change? Keep in mind that we’re not making any new denominations, so he can’t go on the $30.

Who We Currently Have
$1 - George Washington
$2 - Thomas Jefferson (yes, these still circulate)
$5 - Abraham Lincoln
$10 - Alexander Hamilton
$20 - Andrew Jackson
$50 - Ulysses S. Grant
$100 - Benjamin Franklin

1¢ - Abraham Lincoln
5¢ - Thomas Jefferson
10¢ - Franklin D. Roosevelt
25¢ - George Washington
50¢ - John F. Kennedy
100¢ - Sacajawea

Retired Denominations
$500 - William McKinley
$1,000 - Grover Cleveland
$5,000 - James Madison
$10,000 - Salmon P. Chase
$100,000 - Woodrow Wilson.

There’s tons of retired coins, two of the most recent are the Eisenhower dollar and Susan B. Anthony dollar.

Any other Presidents or major Americans you think should get shuffled around?

Put him on the $500 and be done with this stupidity.

*The Reagan on the $10 stupidity, not your thread.

I figured, but thanks :wink:

Reagan in the dime?
No. He had too much respect and graditude to FDR to replace him. Also, the man’s widow doesn’t even support the idea.

Reagan on the $10?
No. If it weren’t for Hamilton, there wouldn’t even be a $10 bill.

If we were to put Reagan on a bill, I would support replacing Grant on the $50. Why not replace the head of a corrupt administration with the head of a slightly ledd corrupt administration?

Bury the man. Put is face in some history books. Let the Reagans get on with their lives. If you want a new face on some money, look to someone who was responsible for orchestrating positive US history. Not someone who escalated one of the most ridiculous non-wars in history. Not someone who just simply refused to speak to his chief adversary for…what…his entire first term?

Put a statesman on the money. Doesn’t have to be a president (Franklin, Anthony, Sacajawea). Just someone who’s done something really REALLY good. Like Bill Gates.

Man run, run for the hills, now!

When conservatives tried to put him on the dime last year, Nancy spoke out against it. I wonder whether she still opposes it, and whether conservatives will proceed if it remains against her wishes.

Why is Andrew Jackson on the $20 anyways? I think Hamilton deserves a bill more than he does.

Reagan on the $10. Absolutely unbelievable the depths to which the Reagan apologists will descend.

But I think some updating is in order.

$20: What on earth did Andy Jackson do to warrant being on currency? My nominee: Martin Luther King

$50: US Grant: Good soldier, lousy president. Off with him. Replace him with a truly underrated patriot: John Adams.

$100: Really, what did Ben Franklin actually do? He wasn’t terribly active or effective at the Continental Congress. If you read McCullough’s bio of John Adams, you really see he was a lazy and devious little snot while serving as ambassador to France. Give this one to Jefferson and scrap the $2 bill.

Put Reagan on the $20. Get rid of that scum-bag, good for nothing, Jackson.

(And yes, I do have Cherokee ancestors.)

I don’t know the history, but my guess is that Jackson was still prominent in memory when the 20 was created for general circulation. I wouldn’t have a problem with replacing Jackson with Reagan. I think Hamilton was much more of a “founding father” and deserves to stay where he is.

Lincoln and Washington both already have their mugs on coins and paper. So, Reagan’s handsome, square jawed bust can be placed on either the cent or the quarter - or the dollar or five dollar bill. Hamilton stays on the 10. Jackson, with his powerful mane, stays on the 20. Everybody wins!!

There is only one solution. Reagan goes on the $1 coin.

Think of it. The dollar coin has never been popular since it was brought back in the 1960s. The Mint has tried different sizes, different faces and finally different colors. Nothing has worked.

So put Reagan on there. Conservatives will love it and consider it their patriotic job to put as many in circulation as possible. Liberals will hate it, and spend them to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Meantime, the government will quit having to produce so many dollar bills (thus fulfilling a Reagan wish to reduce the government’s size), and since George Washington is already on the quarter, it’s not like he’s getting the short end of anything.

As for Sacajewea, let’s put her on the main design for the first class stamp.

This is probably another thread, but how does she rate getting her mug on currency anyway? Since when do we honor Native Americans?

Since at least from the Buffalo nickel and Indian Head penny days. But you’re right – that’s for another thread.

IMO Hamilton was a scoundrel. I’d rather have Porky the Pig on the $10 than Hamilton…

:smack:

Well, he impregnated a lot of women. So surely he deserves some kind of “notable achievement” award… :smiley:

Well, there is an intriguing convergence of events a-brewing here!

Let me explain. The Republicans, who are behind the pro-Reagan measure, are having their convention here in NYC. Well, this just so happens to be the bicentennial of the famous Hamilton-Burr duel, and Alexander Hamilton is regarded by NYers as the city’s greatest colonial-era champion. (As a staunch Federalist he is also considered the founding spirit of the Republican Party, which makes the replacement proposal all the more bizarre.) To mark the milestone – and capture some of the convention traffic – the New-York Historical Society is planning a unprecedented mega-exhibit around Hamilton’s considerable contributions to our city and nation! I wonder if the Reaganites will be swayed by the exhibit. Or maybe they’ll snub it altogether.

In any case, much as I like RR, he does not deserve to be on our currency, especially if it means giving Hamilton the boot.

BTW, I’m so delighted to see all the anti-Jacksonians! I always thought AJ was a brutish pig, unworthy of all the hero-worship he seemed to attract in the middle of the 20th century. Thank goodness it seems to be fading. If anyone’s got to go, it’s him. (Though it kills me to admit, he is a dashing devil on the twenty!)