Conservative Republicans want to replace FDR with Reagan on dime

I’m speechless.

Can’t they at least have the decency to wait until after he passes to talk about this? The whole thing seems rather…morbid, if you ask me.

Are we suppose to admire you for that?:slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of naming anything after a living politician. It’s so 3rd world!

If they are so concerned about modern representation, why not replace Washington or Lincoln from the quarter and penny? FDR is much more contemporary in comparison. Of course what these guys are really after is petty reprisal because they didn’t like the way their hero was portrayed in some telemovie. I say leave the money the way it is and maybe create a new currency for Reagan’s likeness, like a 51 cent piece (so we wouldn’t have to see him that often).

The deification of St. Ron continues…

"Triggering the dispute is a TV movie that depicts a doddering Reagan dominated by his wife, Nancy."

So, by putting his smiley on a dime we can change the dynamic of his marriage? Whatever. I honestly thought he was already dead…I mean it’s not like he’s giving old-man Carter any competition on the “retired president” circuit.

I oppose this proposal.

Coins should not bear the face of a living person.

When Mr. Reagan has passed away, I don’t see what would be wrong with it, however.

I think we should redo the money altogether, with presidents from the past 100 years. On the bills, at least. There are six bills ($1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100), so give three to the RNC and three to the DNC to propose presidents for each bill (randomly pick which party gets which bill).

Let the coins be the historical presidents from before 1900. Let a group of historians select them for the 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢ and $1 pieces.

That’d let the GOP put its St. Ron on a currency bill. That’d make them very happy. But still let the Dems keep their great presidents on the money, too.

Put him on a new 50-cent piece instead of–Eisenhower, is it? And a widely circulated double sawbuck would be muy useful.

Well, you know, just maybe something’s wrong with it because there’s already a president on the dime…you know, a president who actually was good for the country?

Or put both FDR and RWR on the dime and let Pubbies and Dems argue forever over which side is “heads” and which is “tails.” :slight_smile:

I would have thought conservative Republicans would have wanted Clinton on the currency.

In his “Getting a blowjob from Monica” pose. :smiley:

Mathus: Actually, the plan is to create a $3 bill and put Clinton’s mug on it.:slight_smile:

Let’s see. . FDR preserved the United States economy during the Great Depression and and secured victory over fascism in WWII.

Ronald Reagan invaded a tinpot Caribbean dictatorship and ran up the federal deficit to unprecedented amount.

Oh, yes, and he ignored the AIDS crisis and left US marines as sitting ducks in Lebanon.

Yep, Reagan sure was a much worthier candidate to be made immortal on a coin.

And, uh GOP hacks, rough luck about the Alzheimer’s, but that doesn’t make Reagan a retroactive saint.

Kennedy. Eisenhower was on the $1 coin before Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea.

Lest any of the rest of you have the idea to make a dime-sized stamp hammer that spells, “A-HOLE,” forget it. I’ve already put the paperwork into the Patent and Trade Office.

Oh, jeez.

I say we go back to allegorical representations of Lady Liberty. No more real people, living or dead. And that goes for the paper money as well.

They’re either going to have to wait, or overturn the 1866 law that says that no living person can be represented on U.S. coins or currency.

Early Out, when I was looking for a cite of that 1866 law (enacted, BTW, when a government official took it upon himself to put an engraving of his own likeness on fractional currency…the cult of the bureaucracy is nothing new), I found this gem of a quote:

Everybody’s a comedian these days. Note that Mr. Reagan finished top of the poll…

Yeah, and he was so hated by the American people during his first term that there was one entire state he didn’t carry in his re-election bid, and he only got 60% of the popular vote.

What is this-- a contest to see which lefty on this board can be more partisan than the folks trying to put Reagan’s face on the dine?:rolleyes: