What is your favorite DVD?

Don’t know if we have done something like this before or not (DVD stuff is kinda hard to search for) but…

Let’s take a moment and honour that rarest of all artforms, the great DVD package, by creating a long discusiion board list thread. :smiley:

What is your favorite DVD? I am NOT talking about favorite movie on DVD, I am talking about the whole enchilada, the packaging, the transfer, the sound mix, the special features, easter eggs…the whole DVD. It doesn’t have to be your favorite movie, hey maybe you don’t even like the movie but can apreciate the fine effort put into the dvd.

What got me thinking about this was the release of The Incredibles on DVD. I sat down and watched it and thought to myself (after spending the better part of the day watching special features and easter eggs like a geek) “this is possibly the best DVD package I have ever seen.” The special features were all awsome, it was well designed and cool looking, the menues worked easily and were stylish, the movie itself rocked, and it had great easter eggs. It is, in my opinion, a near perfect DVD edition, I would rank it side by side with the LOTR extended editions easily.

So what are your favorites, and why?

You already mentioned it, but I’d go for the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Boxed Set.

Faux leather-bound book effect? Check.
About 50 hours of commentaries? Check.
Booklets with maps of all the extras? Check.

A close second would be the Star Wars original trilogy, just for the three-menus-for-each-film gimmick.

I’m a big fan of Family Guy, so I’m a big fan of the Family Guy second season collection. It’s got every episode, including the banned When You Wish Upon a Weinstein. It’s got both episodes featuring KISS. It’s got commentary. It’s got outtakes.

I’m going to have to pick up the first season DVD, if it exists. There are several episodes from that season that I’m awfully nostalgic for, like the episode where Peter becomes Lando Griffin and goes back to high school to make Meg more popular. And the one where Peter and Joe find golden tickets in cans of beer and get to visit the Pawtucket Patriot brewery and meed the reclusive brewing genius Pawtucket Pat. Man, I love this show. And Brian is one of the best cartoon characters ever. More Family Guy DVDs means more Brian, and more Brian makes me feel even cooler for drinking martinis in the first place.

I need to find the first season. Something’s got to tide me over until the new season starts next month!

Of course, it exists, and if you had ordered in January during the Fox TV box sets sale Amazon was running, you could have gotten it for $14.99.

For me, the perfect DVD has to have an Amaray case, NOT a snapper or an Alpha! Inside, it ouight to have an insert. The DVD itself should offer DTS sound (if it’s a newer film), commentaries, documentaries, trailers, and of course must, must, MUST be in Original Aspect Ratio!

The most outstanding DVD releases I’ve seen lately have been the 4-disc Gone With the Wind, the 2-disc Heat, the Criterion release of Kagemusha, and the Warner Classic Comedies and Gangsters Collection box sets.

My DVD collection