Jon Stewart August 04, 2005

Opening Dialogue was killer tonight.
Let me get this right, I heard/saw Bill O’Reilly equate ACLU to terror supporters? WTF
But wait it gets worse, he’s tell John McCain about the effectiveness of torture.
How does he live with himself?

Cobert may have just had his best line ever while discussing the use of the Confederate Flag in The Dukes of Hazzard.
NAACP Rep: Well some people consider lynching blacks to be something fun.
Cobert: Well, that is just where you and I differ.

Possibly the best Daily Show ever.

It seems like every segment of this episode is killing. Jon rubbing his nipples after the Novak clip. The O’Reilly pwning (“Next week, Bill rips Stephen Hawking a new asshole over quantum physics and wheelchair ramps”) Those frat boys in the Dukes of Hazzard piece had me laughing my ass off (I wouldn’t care if she had a shaved head, I’d still bounce that ass.") Even the guest was cool and timely and interesting. They knocked it out of the park tonight.

“She could have the whole spectrum on her head, I’d still bounce that ass.”

I loved the Novak walk-out reaction. And “The O’Reilley Factor For Kids: With only a passing acquaintance with the rules of logic!”

Wow. Funniest episode in a while and he has a lot of funny episodes.
The NAACP guy was great. The College kids were hillarious and Hooter? Cooter? Crazy idiot guy? was so stupid that I did a spit take.
The Hawkins line was a classic.

What planet is O’Reilly from? I wish McCain could demonstrate a little torture on this Bozo. How do you sit there and argue with McCain over Geneva convention agrrements on POW Torture?

When I first heard about Novak’s meltdown, my first thought was that I hoped it had happened in time for the taping of The Daily Show.

The bit on miracles was great, as I launch into the same rant myself from time to time. “The Less You Know” was fantastic, and the Dukes bit had me rolling. Quite possibly the best Daily Show ever.

AMAZING! I have been awaiting this thread since about two minutes into the show, because you could tell early that this was a hot one. Some of Jon’s comments about the miracles would have made fit on Back in Black. The opening segments all rocked about as hard as any I’ve seen.

What was it Carville said to Novak that made him curse and leave? They played it four times and I still couldn’t make it out. Who did Carville say Novak had prove his toughness to?

Check this thread in parallel to ours: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=328782

Novak story

Yeah, I found that thread about 90 seconds after I asked. Thanks, jrfranchi and Dio.

About to watch this fine ep again. By the way, the faked announcement of King Fahd’s death from last night was also very funny.

The section on the “miracle” was so terrific because - and being a Doper definitely played into this - I heard CNN call this a miracle just once the other day, and started ranting about “How is an entirely explicable event a miracle?” yada yada yada. So to have The Daily Show just rip into the same thing was very satisfying.

This show had everything including two hot women in bikinis, both of whose asses I would bounce. I laughed though the commerical after the “General Grant” bit and the CNN guy presenting Jon with the itty bitty shuttle was priceless.

-Thank you, Snatcher.
-What did you call me?
-Cooter.

Carville said that Novak was just putting on a tough face to impress the right-wing crowd. Somebody on the parallel thread suggested a possible implication (Novak has lost face because of suspicion that he sang like a canary in the Plame investigation) that would explain why this (seemingly) relatively mild needling set him off.

I had seen snippets of the Daily Show on the news and always enjoyed them.

And I have been a fan of Stewart since seeing his HBO special back in the 90’s.

But for some reason, there was always something I wanted to watch more than the Daily Show.

Well, last week the talk of Santorum got me interested in the show. So I watched it.

MY GOSH WHERE HAVE I BEEN?

This show is hilarious. And last night’s episode was definitely the best I’ve seen yet.

Those frat guys (especially the one on the right) were a riot.

“Who’s Cooter?”
“The mechanic.”
“F#*% Him.”

Colbert is definitely my favorite reporter.

I haven’t watched in a liong while and just tuned in. Absolutely hilarious.
So are they real frat boys or are they a shtick the show ueses? Is it just me or did they come off as a bunch of retarded baboons? Funny despite themselves.

They just found 3 funny college kids willing to act natural.
I think most 20 year olds would have similar responses. Very Funny.

I’m sure even if they were real, they were hamming it up.

You could just see the glee in Colbert’s eyes. He knew he had discovered gold!

They were definitely on fire last night. The whole Dukes of Hazzard piece killed, especially the three drunk frat boys. The Bob Novack riffing was excellent, and Bill O’Reilly lecturing John McCain about torture was priceless.

Is there any chance they’ll be rerunning this Monday night at 11:30? I missed it last night and won’t be home before the early evening repeat tonight.